Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
Joined
·
5,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband, myself and our brother in law are looking to do a century somewhere east of the Mississippi in either Sept or Oct. Where better to go to find one than here with you guys! It will be a first for all of us, but we're not particurarly looking for the easiest one we can find. Looking to make it a long weekend from DC. Thanks all!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Upper Midwest

My two favorite fall rides are in the Upper Midwest -- the Door County Century in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, and the Hilly Hundred in Bloomington, Indiana. The Door County Century is an easy ride through picturesque and fun country about 3 hours north of Milwaukee. Proximity to Lake Michigan makes the ride naturally air-conditioned, and you're very likely to get great cycling conditions in mid-September.

Bloomington is a hidden treat for cyclists, and the Hill Hundred takes place in mid-October just as the leaves are changing. Bloomington is treed and hilly, and the countryside is gorgeous. The event is split over two days (making for a "Hilly Weekend"), but there are lots of great local rides to extend to if you want to put some serious miles in.

Both events are comparatively large, but (in my experience) very well run.

There are lots of other great rides, but these are two of my favorites.
 

·
Home Brew User!
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
Flat or Mountianous?

HokieRider said:
My husband, myself and our brother in law are looking to do a century somewhere east of the Mississippi in either Sept or Oct. Where better to go to find one than here with you guys! It will be a first for all of us, but we're not particurarly looking for the easiest one we can find. Looking to make it a long weekend from DC. Thanks all!
From DC you are just a couple hours away from either one. I know the seagull Century in Salisbury MD and the Between the waters Century on the Va eastern shore are both with in that time frame.

Bridge to Bridge (mountains) is also there and I think there is another near the Blue Ridge parkway that has a little less climbing.

I'm not at all trying to police where you post but If you cross post in the Southeast and/or New York/New Jersey forums your thread will stay at the top a lot longer.

In General it could be on the second page by tonight.

Good Luck and let us know which you decide to do. There are bound to be at least a few of us there.
 

·
Il faut d'abord, durer.
Joined
·
333 Posts
Ride for Raptors

Ride for Raptors in Pendleton, SC is a nice ride.

I last did it in 2004 and hey had changed the route and it was prety hilly, but very good scenery.

Close to Greenville, too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,106 Posts
Civil War Century

HokieRider said:
My husband, myself and our brother in law are looking to do a century somewhere east of the Mississippi in either Sept or Oct. Where better to go to find one than here with you guys! It will be a first for all of us, but we're not particurarly looking for the easiest one we can find. Looking to make it a long weekend from DC. Thanks all!
The Baltimore Bicycle Club's Civil War Century is one of my favorites. It usually is the Saturday after Labor Day Weekend and begins and ends in Thurmont, Maryland. Thurmont is just north of Frederick and about an hour to 90 minutes from most places in the DC area. The ride has a fair amount of climbing, but nothing that is in the killer category. The ride is fairly well-organized and you go near the Antietam battlefield and through the Gettysburg battlefield. Here is a link to last year's ride. http://www.baltobikeclub.org/cwc/index_01.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
I'll second the Civil War Century. If you don't want to travel you could do the Potomac Pedalers Historic Backroads Century the weekend after the CWC.

They PPHBC begins and ends in Berryville, VA.

www.bikepptc.org

The Reston Century only has about 3,000 ft. of climbing and is well supported. But that's in late August.

www.restonbikeclub.org

My new favorite is my new team's century: The Chartlotteville Racing Club's Blue Ridge Extreme. There are only two real climbs, well, maybe three but the two climbs are killers. Total climbing is just over 8,000 ft. or so. Most of which comes from those three climbs.

www.blueridgeexteme.org

This one is the same day as the Reston Century and is also a very well supported ride.

If you want to make a weekend out of it then I'd look to New England and take in the leaves while putting in a long day in the saddle. I can't think of any off hand but I'm sure there are several.

Enjoy,

Sean
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,106 Posts
Blue Ridge Extreme

The Blue Ridge Extreme looks like a good ride. Last summer I climbed up to Reed's Gap via Wintergreen and descended from the Blue Ridge Parkway to Vesuvius and Steele's Tavern when I did a one-way ride from Charlottesville to Hot Springs, VA. Both of the climbs on the Blue Ridge Extreme should be a lot of fun. I just put a note on my schedule to think about the Blue Ridge Extreme if I have time next fall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
that must have been one hairy decent

MarkS said:
The Blue Ridge Extreme looks like a good ride. Last summer I climbed up to Reed's Gap via Wintergreen and descended from the Blue Ridge Parkway to Vesuvius and Steele's Tavern when I did a one-way ride from Charlottesville to Hot Springs, VA. Both of the climbs on the Blue Ridge Extreme should be a lot of fun. I just put a note on my schedule to think about the Blue Ridge Extreme if I have time next fall.
The decent into Steels Tavern must have been ultra fast cause I was c r a w l i n g up that beast.

You should try and make it down if you have some free time. You can stay right at the strart/finish line and it's cheap. They serve breakfast early just for the riders and the Virginia School of Massage provided massages afterwards.

I look foreward to bettering my time this year.

Sean
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,106 Posts
39mph on the brakes

Crisi di fame said:
The decent into Steels Tavern must have been ultra fast cause I was c r a w l i n g up that beast.

You should try and make it down if you have some free time. You can stay right at the strart/finish line and it's cheap. They serve breakfast early just for the riders and the Virginia School of Massage provided massages afterwards.

I look foreward to bettering my time this year.

Sean
I just looked at my Polar data for the descent. I was riding in the 35-39 mph range and was applying the brakes -- in fact I can remember worrying that I would heat up the rims too much and blow out a tire, but I couldn't go any faster because the sharp curves and oncoming traffic were scaring me.

What is the date for the 2006 ride?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
wow

MarkS said:
I just looked at my Polar data for the descent. I was riding in the 35-39 mph range and was applying the brakes -- in fact I can remember worrying that I would heat up the rims too much and blow out a tire, but I couldn't go any faster because the sharp curves and oncoming traffic were scaring me.

What is the date for the 2006 ride?
There is no info on the 2006 ride but I'll ask when I get a chance and post it here.

Most likely the last Saturday or Sunday in August.
 

·
Spicy Dumpling
Joined
·
9,721 Posts
Crisi di fame said:
The decent into Steels Tavern must have been ultra fast cause I was c r a w l i n g up that beast.

You should try and make it down if you have some free time. You can stay right at the strart/finish line and it's cheap. They serve breakfast early just for the riders and the Virginia School of Massage provided massages afterwards.

I look foreward to bettering my time this year.

Sean
It is a GREAT ride but I've heard rumblings that they are moving the start because of problems with the hotel at the start. It seems that right before the start last year the hotel owners changed their minds about letting folks check out late. Any body heard if they are changing the location of the start.

It is a great ride and the climb up vesuvious and reeds gap were a bear for a big guy like me. And reeds gap is right in the sun which makes it MISERABLE.... I'm still waiting for them to publish the photos from the ride. I want to see how bad I looked;)
 

·
Home Brew User!
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
VaughnA said:
It is a GREAT ride but I've heard rumblings that they are moving the start because of problems with the hotel at the start. It seems that right before the start last year the hotel owners changed their minds about letting folks check out late. Any body heard if they are changing the location of the start.

It is a great ride and the climb up vesuvious and reeds gap were a bear for a big guy like me. And reeds gap is right in the sun which makes it MISERABLE.... I'm still waiting for them to publish the photos from the ride. I want to see how bad I looked;)

The hotel at the Start/Finish (Afton Inn or Inn at AFTON) was an absolute DUMP! It did however make for a good start stop location. It would not have been that bad if it was just myself and some riding buddies but three in my group had brought the wife and kids. If they do start there again I will stay at one of the hotels down the mountain.

My lard A$$ was only doing the metric century bit still had to get some assist up Vesuvius. The ride however is wonderful and the food at the stops were great. I would highly recommend the ride but be prepared for some serious climbing. I hope to do it every year but don't think I would ever make it up both big climbs.

Keep you eyes out on the Southeast forum. Me and some friends plan at least 2 or 3 Blue ridge trips this spring and I'll post dates as we decide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
photos

VaughnA,

Go to www.cvillebike.com and click on the email link. Ask for Bill, he is the photographer and should have your pic from last year's BRE.

I knew that checkout was before people got back but I didn't know that it was a game day decision. That blows. Tis a shame cause the location was prime.

If I hear any news I'll pass it along.

BTW, where abouts in VA do you live?

Lifelover - I'd be up for a Blue Ridge adventure in the spring so definitely post your travel dates as far in advance as you know them. I've put together quite a few rides in the Charlottesville area and there is also a great one that leaves out of Front Royal or Sperrville or Luray depending on how hard or easy your want your day to end. All rides have a few big climbs, some smaller climbs and some ridge and valley riding. +/- 85 miles or riding 1/3 to 1/2 of which is on Skyline drive. Tis a great ride whatever direction you choose.

Locally, the ride is called SkyMass or MassSky depending on the direction.

Sounds like we've got the makings of a Blue Ridge Gathering in the spring. :)

Sean
 

·
Spicy Dumpling
Joined
·
9,721 Posts
Crisi di fame said:
VaughnA,

Go to www.cvillebike.com and click on the email link. Ask for Bill, he is the photographer and should have your pic from last year's BRE.

I knew that checkout was before people got back but I didn't know that it was a game day decision. That blows. Tis a shame cause the location was prime.

If I hear any news I'll pass it along.

BTW, where abouts in VA do you live?

Lifelover - I'd be up for a Blue Ridge adventure in the spring so definitely post your travel dates as far in advance as you know them. I've put together quite a few rides in the Charlottesville area and there is also a great one that leaves out of Front Royal or Sperrville or Luray depending on how hard or easy your want your day to end. All rides have a few big climbs, some smaller climbs and some ridge and valley riding. +/- 85 miles or riding 1/3 to 1/2 of which is on Skyline drive. Tis a great ride whatever direction you choose.

Locally, the ride is called SkyMass or MassSky depending on the direction.

Sounds like we've got the makings of a Blue Ridge Gathering in the spring. :)

Sean
Sean, I'm from Lynchburg, so I'm up for the rides as well. Lifelover and I've threatened to get together many times. Maybe if we can setup a blue Ridge Gathering the threats will be completed. We have Thunder ridge and a few good rides our way as well. I'll check into the pictures. I'm sure I look bad in the photos, I cut my ankle on my chainring unclipping on the way up reed's gap and ended up having 9 stitches following the ride. Embarrassing but at that point I could barely function between the heat and the climb.
 

·
Spicy Dumpling
Joined
·
9,721 Posts
Crisi di fame said:
Were you wearing a RBR jersey that day? I said hi to someone wearing a RBR jersey at the beginning of the ride but never saw that person again.

Once it gets warmer I'll start tossing around some dates to see what works best for everyone.

Sean
Sounds like a plan.

The RBR jersey wasn't me, I asked the guy about RBR and he seemed to not even know what RBR was about. I suspect someone gave him the jersey. I can't remember which jersey I was wearing that day. Probably my 811Velo Club Jersey from our local club.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
VaughnA said:
Sean, I'm from Lynchburg, so I'm up for the rides as well. Lifelover and I've threatened to get together many times. Maybe if we can setup a blue Ridge Gathering the threats will be completed. We have Thunder ridge and a few good rides our way as well. I'll check into the pictures. I'm sure I look bad in the photos, I cut my ankle on my chainring unclipping on the way up reed's gap and ended up having 9 stitches following the ride. Embarrassing but at that point I could barely function between the heat and the climb.
Were you wearing a RBR jersey that day? I said hi to someone wearing a RBR jersey at the beginning of the ride but never saw that person again.

Once it gets warmer I'll start tossing around some dates to see what works best for everyone.

Sean
 

·
n00bsauce
Joined
·
13,507 Posts
I second the Door County Century but I'm biased, being from Wisconsin and all. Door County offers a "Cape Cod" type atmosphere and is the peninsula sticking into Lake Michigan on the east side of Wisconsin (it's the thumb on your left hand when you look at it from the back side). Weather in September is just about perfect and the ride is very picturesque, fishing villages, cherry orchards, cliffs, Lake Michigan, Green Bay (the bay not the city of football fame but if you're a Packer fan I highly recommend Lambeau Field and the Packer museum). It's not hilly but not totally flat, either.
 

·
Home Brew User!
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
Same here

VaughnA said:
Sounds like a plan.

The RBR jersey wasn't me, I asked the guy about RBR and he seemed to not even know what RBR was about. I suspect someone gave him the jersey. I can't remember which jersey I was wearing that day. Probably my 811Velo Club Jersey from our local club.
I asked the guy if he was a regular and he looked at me like he had no clue. Kinda strange.


I'm up for a spring gathering! Of course that is easy to say now. Pick a date during my boys B-ball season and I'm out blah, blah, blah.

Bottom line is pick a date and we will push it.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top