Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I know some of you use your cross bike as a road bike, so I decided to leave my road bike at home and do a century on mine. I'm kinda nervous, I put on some 28mm conti. contact tires and a 48t ring on the front.. We'll see how it goes.. My friends think I'm nuts, but I think it'll be fun..:eek:

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
I've done

many metrics on one (used a 50T), did the rBr lounge Santa Cruz on my cross concept,nothing more fun than out descending a bunch of guys on roadies on a canti equipped cxer

· Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
I just did an 80 last week with a group of Euro-bike snobs. Riding a disc equipped cross bike (50/34-12-27). I have a set of Contis for commuting and road training that feel great. No problems keeping up and on the hills I passed the guys wearing their polka-dot jerseys.

· Registered
6 Posts
Not a century but did day one (about 85 miles) of an MS bike tour on my cross bike with 23's, 48 big ring. I used the 48 most of the time, no problem keeping up with anybody, finished in well under 5 hours, passed a lot of people. The only thing I missed is the fact that I never put a computer on my cross bike. Its the engine that matters!

· Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, I did it!

Man was it tough.. Gotta admit, my cross bike is about 3lbs heavier than my road bike.. IF steel planet cross.. I used 28mm Continental Contacts, should've changed out for my road tires, but didn't feel like going through the hassle.. To make a long story short, the hills were tougher than I thought they would be with the added wt., but it was a lot more comfortable.. Would I do it again? Yeah, but put on some 23mm road tires..

· Registered
778 Posts
Just so you don't feel bad, there are people much more insane out there. This past weekend I saw a Specialized Tricross with 23's, bullhorn bars w/ aero extensions on a century. Complete with the bar-end shifters on the extension just like a TT bike. :confused:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.