Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not looking for speed of fininshing the century, just a pace to train to. Bicycling Magazine's New Cyclist Handbook has a 10 week century training program I am using. Today was the first day and it was an easy paced 10 miles. Tomorrow is 12 miles at "pace". My guess is a consistant comfortable pace. Is that about it? Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Comfortable pace

cmcdgc said:
Tomorrow is 12 miles at "pace". My guess is a consistant comfortable pace. Is that about it?
Yes, that's about it. Comfortable pace will vary over several mph from rider to rider, and from new rider to experienced rider. However, if comfortable pace is 8 mph, then you do need to work on speed :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
I just did my first on thrusday and wound up at 16mph avg. Could have been faster but there were a ton of stoplights and intersections. It was nothing organized, I went out with one friend for the first 50 and another friend for the second 50. What helped me was to ride 4 days a week. 1 easy, 1 meduim, 1 hard. and one that was long... the long one I started with 30miles and increased by 10 miles each week. I did them in to certain order through the week though, just kind of felt it out. basically whenever you set out on the bike you'll know in the first block what you have in you. When I rode out that day I knew I had good legs. Keep in mind I ate nothing that day except for 2 bars and 2 gels plus the 2 bottles of cytomax. Which isnt exactly good for me... the point im making is that if youre on an organized century there'll be rest stops with goodies so you can properly take a breather and refuel when needed.

·
Lost in the Black Hills
189 Posts
dude, close the book and start upping your miles. respect any pains in your body, practice staying hydrated and whatever nutritionals you will use.

what is your max so far? have you done 50 miles yet?

once you get to around 70 or so, just go for it.

you might be overthinking this. however, i do not know how new you are, what kind of shape you're in, etc

good luck

mx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the input. This is just what I needed. I ride 4-5 days a week about 25-30 miles per ride. My speed is all over the place from 14-20 MPH. I am riding the Silver Comet Trail (all flat) and plan on riding this for the century. I have been overthinking the program!

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
This past Saturday I finished my first over 100 mile ride. 115.5 miles around Seneca Lake in NY. The hills slowed me down a little along with slow coasting waiting for my friend.. but averaged 14.6 mph. Around home on my shorter rides I can get around 16.8-19mph average with no problem.

Best advice I can offer.. Stand more.. change positions a lot. Don't sprint in the first 50 miles.

·
Lost in the Black Hills
189 Posts
good point about the standing. don't wait until your butt is killing you. are you comfortable standing for extended periods of time? that is one thing you might want to practice on your shorter rides.

for me, standing would make me exhausted and my heart rate would go much higher. so on some shorter rides i made myself stand for a mile or so. maybe repeated a couple times. within a very short time (couple weeks) i was able to stand very comfortably for long distances. i don't know what it was....it was not a cadence change. weird.

so make sure you down shift 2-4 gears or so and stand for awhile.

have you done 50 yet?

once you can do 50-70 on the flat terrain you mentioned without any problems with butt, feet, knees etc in the days after the ride, just go for the 100. on flat ground it is not that much different.

mx

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Another tip for standing...

stand and give a few harder pedal strokes.. Coast and lean to one side to stretch.. Few powerful strokes.. coast and lean to other side to stretch. This helps a lot.

Another idea... If you can ride no handed well take some time to do that and shake your arms out. Move your head around and loosen up every 20 miles or so and you'll be better off.

On my ride Saturday my hands began hurting a lot so I ended up riding with no hands over 20 miles of the 115... a few here.. a few there just to keep the blood flowing.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Tons of great advice on here, you should be fine for that ride. Another thing that helped me and my friend back when we did our first metric was that we knew the metric would be totally flat. So for the 2 months before our ride we went to hills for 40 mile rides and a decent intensity. It made the ride seem like a breeze when we wound up doing it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think it is great you are going for a century.... I am doing my first next month. If you are young, fit and eager and recover quickly the earlier advice is probably ok.... if you are a year or so from 60, fit, and eager and been road biking for around a year, like me, there is no way I'd hit 50-60 and then think I'll go for 100 miles.... Recovery is important and instead of doing 66 today, my long day, I did a recovery ride of 31, rest is a good thing when training to do endurance rides.... I would increase miles by 10% a week and every fourth week do a recovery... when you hit 80 miles on a training ride, your next one could be a 100..... And make carbos, water, sports drinks, energy bars, gels, etc your friend, especially if you want a fast century.

Most of all Enjoy every moment of it!

Hope this helps!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.