Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
So what's he been doing since the test for CERA went public? It's not like he had a shabby spring campaign.
Maybe he continued using CERA since he thought he could get away with it but he probably moved on to whatever the latest super-drug is.

So Fabian Cancellara gets the silver and Alexandr Kolobnev the bronze?

·
Registered
660 Posts
This is cool...

I always thought the IOC was the most corrupt of the corrupt - but I applaud their back testing for CERA - - A much more admirable stance than Giro organizers who basically don't want to know anything about how many cheated in their race last year. I can understand not going back and restesting blod from years ago because yea, when would it stop? But the CERA test was developed only a few months after Giro they stillcould have tested the stored blood.. anyway, this is good news that more cheats are getting busted...

·
Registered
35 Posts
crazy man. just crazy. every time I hear about a pro testing positive for dope
I just get angry. not sure what else is there to say. depressing.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Source says two cyclists, one weightlifter, and three track and feild. Of those, two were medalists and one of them is a male track and feild athlete who won gold.
There were 7 positives from 6 athletes.
Odds are that one of them won more than one medal if they were tested more than once.
My guess is it's Bolt.

·
Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
mtbbmet said:
Source says two cyclists, one weightlifter, and three track and feild. Of those, two were medalists and one of them is a male track and feild athlete who won gold.
There were 7 positives from 6 athletes.
Odds are that one of them won more than one medal if they were tested more than once.
My guess is it's Bolt.
Other than Rebellin, Cancellara could very well be the other cyclist.
Bolt wouldn't surprise me one bit. If they do bust him and strip him of his medals plus world records then this may turn out to be the biggest scandal since 1988 when another track athlete got stripped of his world records (both 9.79 in Seoul and the 9.83 he set previously at the world champ's) and gold medal.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Rember when Armstrong paid half a mill to the UCI for doping research?

Regulatory organizations outside of the UCI always turn up more positive drug tests. Is it any coincidence that when the AFLD took over testing last year at the Tour that there were more positive tests than in the past 10 years combined? I don't think so. The testing for the Olympics is also not done by the UCI, thank god.

Can you imagine the conflict of interest if a government or an athlete paid the Olympic testing committee half a million dollar "donation" to assist with testing research? No way this would happen, but the UCI is all for accepting monetary donations from athletes. Face it. The UCI is corrupt.

·
Registered
43 Posts
rook said:
Can you imagine the conflict of interest if a government or an athlete paid the Olympic testing committee half a million dollar "donation" to assist with testing research? No way this would happen, but the UCI is all for accepting monetary donations from athletes. Face it. The UCI is corrupt.
Oooh, good job bringing it around to Armstrong. It is like that seven degrees of Kevin Bacon game.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
MG537 said:
Other than Rebellin, Cancellara could very well be the other cyclist.
Bolt wouldn't surprise me one bit. If they do bust him and strip him of his medals plus world records then this may turn out to be the biggest scandal since 1988 when another track athlete got stripped of his world records (both 9.79 in Seoul and the 9.83 he set previously at the world champ's) and gold medal.
Apperently only the one of the two cyclists that were positive medaled. So it can't be both Rebellin & Cancellara.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
framed said:
Maybe he continued using CERA since he thought he could get away with it but he probably moved on to whatever the latest super-drug is.
Doesn't make sense since, IIRC, CERA has a long detection window, much longer than normal EPO.

He probably got caught out by gambling it would be out of his system for the Olympics once he was alerted to the test by Ricco's positive. Hindsight is always 20/20 but looks like he should have opted to stay home.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Doesn't make sense since, IIRC, CERA has a long detection window, much longer than normal EPO.

He probably got caught out by gambling it would be out of his system for the Olympics once he was alerted to the test by Ricco's positive. Hindsight is always 20/20 but looks like he should have opted to stay home.
Or he could have though that Gerolsteiner's program was better and he wouldn't get popped. It wasn't until October that Schumacher's and Kohl's positives were announced. The Gerolsteiner boys might have thought they had a good thing going.

·
Registered
969 Posts
So you guys are all for taking new methods and going back and testing samples collected and tested months (or years) ago? Where have the samples been stored in the meantime?

I'd be much more comfortable if new testing methods were only used for future tests and if samples could only be tested "once" (or in one session or whatever). It would eliminate a lot of possible objections that people use to not trust the current testing protocols (you know, the kind of thing that lets lance's supporters question the results of back testing of ancient samples).

The whole system really needs to be rethought. The timing of the tests, the type of tests, the different testing bodies...Levi was tested twice the other day, out of competition, by two different authorities. That's just ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts