Part 3: Accessorize - Fizik Antares saddle and KCNC quick releases
The next two were easy upgrades that actually saved a lot of weight.

Fizik Antares Saddle
  • Cost: $199 MSRP
  • Comfortable yet very light weight
  • Natural Leather Seat Cover
  • Made in Italy
  • ICS bag compatible
  • Weight: Claimed 175 grams. Actual: 177.
The Antares is the newest saddle from Fizik. It is positioned between the ultra-comfortable Aliante and the ultra-popular Airione. I love the Aliante but the Airione never quite fit me. The Antares' real competitor is a minimalist saddle like the Selle Italia Flite which weighs an astounding 135 grams. However, I find the Flite extremely uncomfortable. The Antares weighs a little more but I found it to be surprisingly comfortable--even on 50 mile rides. Plus, at 177 grams, it saves 38 grams over the Aliante. You can read my in-depth review here.

page_turner.jpg

KCNC Quick Release Skewers
  • Cost: $65-70
  • 45 grams for the pair
  • Excellent workmanship
  • Strong clamping mechanism
  • Weak and poorly designed springs
At this point, I admit I was starting to get a little weenie-fied looking for more ways to save weight. I tend to shy away from super-shiny bright CNC'd parts that can be too fragile for normal use/abuse. But these KCNC quick releases/skewers were just so tempting. Super light but at a reasonable price. I debated over "plain" silver or black...but took the plunge with these anodized red jobs. In a word, they are amazing. At 45 grams for the pair, they weigh less than a rear Zipp, Salsa, or Mavic skewer! They also cost less than many of these. The only disappointment was the springs that mount between the bike and the axle ends; they were tightly wound around the axle and would "burrow" in while turning the QR. Just substitute them with your old QR springs, and you'll be good to go. More impressive was the clamping quality and leverage of the diminutive handle. Somehow KCNC has worked in significant mechanical advantage with the bulbous pivot and stubby lever. These QRs exceeded expectations--and at 65$ are a great way to shave 40 grams.

Antares:

KCNC Quick Releases:

Check back soon for the next part in the series, Ritchey Carbon Magic!