Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just have a few questions that I want to be answered because I am looking to start a bike build.

I am new to the forums, I have searched a lot of the topics I had questions to and found a lot of the answers, this forum has a wealth of information... Well anyways back to my topic.

I have been looking at frames and bikes at a few of my LBS, while I definately know there is great value (as compared to building custom) in buying an off the shelf bike, they are just everwhere. I mean on a given day I can see up to 10 madones just around downtown. I have ridden the madones and like them and they fit me well, I just want something different. I have had the oppurtunity to ride a Cervelo S3 and I liked it a lot. I have also been looking at a ridley but my LBS doesn't have anything I can ride. I have also read that Cervelo tends to be "overpriced" and that you can find something that has a "better ride" while those two statements can be subjective can anyone attest to those claims?

I have been looking at competitive cyclist and the cervelo frame is around $4500 and on ProBikeKit it is around $3800, my question is has anyone in the US purchased a frame from ProBikeKit? They say they are a Cervelo Authorized Dealer but I cannot look them up on the Cervelo dealer search.

I know that there is some nonsense about 15% of the product being made in Europe to have a sticker claiming that it was Made in Europe. I also know that a majority of the frames are made in East Asia. Do you guys know where there is a forum post about where the frames are made? Really I am curious about where Cervelo and the Ridley frames are made.

I would just like to thank you guys in advanced. I am sure I will have other questions as the build up starts to begin. Thank you for your help!

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
I've never ordered a frame from them but have purchased bits and pieces and have always been very satisfied. One thing you may want to keep in mind was discussed on this thread.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=167436

I've never been hit with any kind of duties however it may make a great deal of difference if you get hit with it on a big ticket item.

G

·
jtab1 said:
Hey guys I just have a few questions that I want to be answered because I am looking to start a bike build.

I am new to the forums, I have searched a lot of the topics I had questions to and found a lot of the answers, this forum has a wealth of information... Well anyways back to my topic.

I have been looking at frames and bikes at a few of my LBS, while I definately know there is great value (as compared to building custom) in buying an off the shelf bike, they are just everwhere. I mean on a given day I can see up to 10 madones just around downtown. I have ridden the madones and like them and they fit me well, I just want something different. I have had the oppurtunity to ride a Cervelo S3 and I liked it a lot. I have also been looking at a ridley but my LBS doesn't have anything I can ride. I have also read that Cervelo tends to be "overpriced" and that you can find something that has a "better ride" while those two statements can be subjective can anyone attest to those claims?

I have been looking at competitive cyclist and the cervelo frame is around $4500 and on ProBikeKit it is around $3800, my question is has anyone in the US purchased a frame from ProBikeKit? They say they are a Cervelo Authorized Dealer but I cannot look them up on the Cervelo dealer search.

I know that there is some nonsense about 15% of the product being made in Europe to have a sticker claiming that it was Made in Europe. I also know that a majority of the frames are made in East Asia. Do you guys know where there is a forum post about where the frames are made? Really I am curious about where Cervelo and the Ridley frames are made.

I would just like to thank you guys in advanced. I am sure I will have other questions as the build up starts to begin. Thank you for your help!
The frames are both made in China. Ridley are, or were, painted in Belgium.

I believe the Cervelo's are actually painted in China as well.

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts
don't forget to use 'usarbr' discount code for an additional 5% off.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gh1 said:
4500 for a Cervelo frame? Wow, sorry I will shut up
Yeah it is really steep. My LBS wants like 4850 or something like that for it... I really like the ridley noah but I am antsy to cut the seat mast. The only reason I was considering the Cervelo was because I can just flip the seat mast and slap some aero bars and turn it into a TT bike... because I am interested in doing a tri in the near future...

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
Cervelo is in Taichung, Taiwan. They make a few bikes there. The Cervelo is a preferred ride of some employees there... if that helps.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
the issue is whether your shipment gets duty import fees slapped on it - these can be approx 35% (you are technically importing goods when shopping from PBK). If they use UPS/FEDEX, it will almost certainly get a duty. Look at the threads in hot deals for more on this.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Cervelo is not made in Asia. They did try to move operations there, like many other bike companies have, but they found that 95% of the bikes failed their own stringent test, as well as the coveted EFB certification, which certifies that the frame can handle the toughest fatigue tests out there. In fact, Cervelo run their frames through these tests not once, but twice. Which is how they can offer lifetime warranties.

All I can say is comparing the ridley to the cervelo is an apple and orange comparison. No where near the same level of detail.

As for the price, that is really because it is the S3 that you want. Look toward and R3, or S2 and the price is much cheaper. But the S3 is the hot ticket item at Cervelo now as it combined the smooth ride characteristics of the R3 with the S2 race pedigree. So it is fast, aero and comfortable.

As for the original question, I would love to know about Cervelo frames and RBR, because I am also considering it (but with an R3-sl).

As you can tell, I like the Cervelo. A friend i ride with is on his second one, and he just loves it.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
UPS and FEDEX = $$$$ if you are overseas.

Some examples of scale:

I wanted to order a baseball hat: $12 + $62 shipping and handling.

Lets try FEDEX...

A Firewire 800 to 4 pin cable $9 + $52 shipping and handling.

This is an incredible mark up.

Bicycle Frame and Fork (Wt. 3.5lbs): $560 (Sale Price)+ $200 Shipping and handling.

The only way I justified the shipping was in seeing that the MSRP on the frame and fork was $999. I could still come out ahead.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
Cervelo is manufactured by Performance Manufacturing Group in Taichung, Taiwan. I met a couple guys from the factory. They like their S3s. So Cervelo is NOT made in China. That is a good thing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1stmh said:
Cervelo is not made in Asia. They did try to move operations there, like many other bike companies have, but they found that 95% of the bikes failed their own stringent test, as well as the coveted EFB certification, which certifies that the frame can handle the toughest fatigue tests out there. In fact, Cervelo run their frames through these tests not once, but twice. Which is how they can offer lifetime warranties.

All I can say is comparing the ridley to the cervelo is an apple and orange comparison. No where near the same level of detail.

As for the price, that is really because it is the S3 that you want. Look toward and R3, or S2 and the price is much cheaper. But the S3 is the hot ticket item at Cervelo now as it combined the smooth ride characteristics of the R3 with the S2 race pedigree. So it is fast, aero and comfortable.

As for the original question, I would love to know about Cervelo frames and RBR, because I am also considering it (but with an R3-sl).

As you can tell, I like the Cervelo. A friend i ride with is on his second one, and he just loves it.
I think that is the thing that has me sold on cervelo other than the ride, the lifetime warranty. I was reading a little bit online and other places are saying that they are still made in China, really I do not care where its made just as long as its a quality product.

Another thing with PBK, someone stated that they got charged duties and did not recieive a receipt... That would be a problem if I were to order a frame and or gruppo and later needed to have warranty services done. I know that campy needs a receipt and that you need to go to the country of purchase to deal with warranty work, so it would probably not be the best idea in my favor to order the gruppo from PBK..

·
Registered
118 Posts
There are other bikes out there that have lifetime warranty. I'm not a fan of Trek, but they do as well.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Dajianshan said:
Cervelo is manufactured by Performance Manufacturing Group in Taichung, Taiwan. I met a couple guys from the factory. They like their S3s. So Cervelo is NOT made in China. That is a good thing.
Really? Last I heard form someone with very, very close ties to SCOTT, Cervelo and SCOTT are BOTH made in the same factory on Mainland China. Did this change this year?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
DIRT BOY said:
Really? Last I heard form someone with very, very close ties to SCOOT, Cervelo and SCOTT are BOTH made in the same factory on Mainland China. Did this change this year?
I'll call my Cervelo dealer and ask them when I get out of class and I will let you guys know.

Well I Talked to a Cervelo dealer and he said Taiwan..

·
Embrace your inner Fred
359 Posts
1stmh said:
So a Ridley is an inferior frame to the S3 or all Cervelo's? If Sastre was to ride both bikes on a timed run would you say he'd be faster on Cervelo or Ridley all things being equal.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts