Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Yes...and? Apparently good enough for the pros. Saw an article the other day about Otis elevator parts being made in China. I wonder if there are people out there who would refuse to ride in an elevator if they knew the parts were made in China.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
But what isn't these days? Be glad it's made in China. China QC is now what the taiwanese were 8 years ago. India is now what China was 10 years ago.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Rollo Tommassi said:
Most Trek carbon frames are still made stateside, though a good amount of their aluminum production has gone elsewhere.

Cervelos have always been made in China. In fact, a great deal of high end carbon bikes are made in China, Others are made in Taiwan. Very few carbon fiber bicycles come out of Italy or anywhere else. The bicycle industry is very good at deceiving customers where the product is actually made. Cervelo's are a Canadian company that makes their bikes in China but most consumers believe they are a european company that makes bikes in Europe. Even Campagnolo who everyone loves because its Italian is mostly made in Romania now.
Get over it.

·
confirmed masher
1,668 Posts
Rubber Lizard said:
Most Trek carbon frames are still made stateside, though a good amount of their aluminum production has gone elsewhere.

Cervelos have always been made in China. In fact, a great deal of high end carbon bikes are made in China, Others are made in Taiwan. Very few carbon fiber bicycles come out of Italy or anywhere else. The bicycle industry is very good at deceiving customers where the product is actually made. Cervelo's are a Canadian company that makes their bikes in China but most consumers believe they are a european company that makes bikes in Europe. Even Campagnolo who everyone loves because its Italian is mostly made in Romania now.
Get over it.
I think most people know Cervelo are not an european brand, at least any semi informed customer would know. fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter where it's made as long as its as good as you expect and pay for it. if you are worried about a bunch of asian people working over your bike than that is another problem of yours that needs attention... ps don't trust your railway system either...

If you browse Cervelo's site they admit to using Chinese/Taiwanese factories quite freely, and aside from the R2.5 i don't think there have been that many problems with the manufacturing side of the business.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I would guess that 99% of all the carbon fibre sporting goods (in particular frames) are made in China by either Topkey located in Xiamen China, and/or Ten Tech Composites located in Dongguan China.

Btw the box says MADE IN CHINA IN BIG HUGE FONT. See attached image. Whats the matter with that anyways? It's not like Made in USA is any better. For that matter I would say Taiwan/China and other countries have a bigger skill pool for precision manufacturing with more qualified people than USA or Canada.

G

·
Of all the things that would surprise me to learn they were made in China - Cervelo frames do not rank near the top of the list.

Now - Ceramic tiles??

I was out yesterday with my wife shopping for tiles - The boxes all say "Made in China"

That would seem to be a lot of weight to be shipping to North America from China!?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Ceramic tiles is nothing.

A friend who works at an OEM tier 1 car part manufacturer (I will not name names)... for replacement parts such as brake rotors get all the goods made in China.

If you walk into NAPA and buy brake rotors for your car there are many levels and options ranging from white box made in China for 7 dollars a rotor to Made in Italy Brembos for 50 to 60 a rotor.

Usuallly people opt for the 30 dollar made in USA/Made in Canada ones... He tells me there is zero difference between the 7 dollar ones and the 30 dollar ones. What his company does is they buy "scrap" metal from China and make the rotors. Except when they mean scrap they have the foundry cast the scrap metal into shapes of brake rotors. Get them shipped by sea to Canada. Then they take the "scrap" metal in the shapes of brake rotors, does final machining on them, engraves made in Canada on the rotor. Put it in a box also sourced from China, then ships it to the warehouse to sell to NAPA, Canadian Tire, Wagner, Raybestos... whatever.

The quality of the casting for the 30 dollar one and the 7 dollar one is the same since it came from the same foundry. The final machining is impossible to screw up and is not difficult at all.

Anything and everything is made in China these days. It all depends on how honest the corporations are in revealing it.

Even coach purses are made in China. I was at a Coach outlet store in Buffalo New York the past weekend. They were so busy they were opening boxes every 30 mins to refill the shelves. They even had the boxes piled outside in the main store and not in the back. Low and behold... the boxes had "MADE IN CHINA" printed on them. So for all the ladies out there your 400 dollar purse came from the same factory that made the knock off ones you can get on the streets for 40 bucks.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was at a Coach outlet store in Buffalo New York the past weekend. They were so busy they were opening boxes every 30 mins to refill the shelves. They even had the boxes piled outside in the main store and not in the back. Low and behold... the boxes had "MADE IN CHINA" printed on them. So for all the ladies out there your 400 dollar purse came from the same factory that made the knock off ones you can get on the streets for 40 bucks.
My dad is an architect who specializes in high end retail stores, Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills, South Coast Plaza etc.., and has done some outlet stores. If you don't know many luxury high end fashion/bag/shoe companies outlet products are made specifically for the outlets ie: not the same as their regular retail stores. What is not left over stock is made specifically in cheaper factories out of lesser materials. Sometimes the designs are not exactly the same either, ranges from very subtle to non existant in the non outlet retailer. Some of those stores are actually owned by a licensee and the actually brand is only making a percentage.

Even much of the Nike outlet stuff is made specifically for the region and type of customer where the outlet is.

·
Cat 6 rider
3,090 Posts
OneGear said:
I think most people know Cervelo are not an european brand, at least any semi informed customer would know. fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter where it's made as long as its as good as you expect and pay for it. if you are worried about a bunch of asian people working over your bike than that is another problem of yours that needs attention... ps don't trust your railway system either...

If you browse Cervelo's site they admit to using Chinese/Taiwanese factories quite freely, and aside from the R2.5 i don't think there have been that many problems with the manufacturing side of the business.
I've been on Asian bikes since the late '70s. I've had two serious problems. I wish my American made cars were as good. I do seriously question the wisdom of pumping money and technology into a Chinese totalitarian system, though. I know both Democrats and Republicans claim it will bring about a democratic transition, but I can't help but think they're main goal is to maintain the status quo by drugging a restless population with cheap consumer goods at home. That said, Chinese goods are so ubiquitous that they're difficult to avoid, and sometimes impossible ('tis the season- try finding non-Chinese made Christmas decorations- which is interesting when you realize you do hard time in a Chinese labor camp for holding private Bible study meetings instead of going to a state run church, and I can fully understand why Chinese believers wouldn't want to go to a church run my avowed atheists. Neither our Bible carrying former president, nor our Bible thumping current president, seem to mind all that much as long as the goods keep flowing in). I'd much prefer to pay a little more for a frame made in Taiwan, or have some forward thinking company like Cervelo explore exporting technology to other places they can get cheap labor and make a real change- like Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe, and Central America, or maybe using robotics and building a plant at home in Canada- employing fewer people, but paying them more. If you can make the economics work to build cars in North America you should be able to build bikes here. I'll step of my soapbox now.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
To all those that think made in China is no biggie, then why doesn't Cervelo stamp "HANDMADE IN CHINA" along the seatstays? Answer: because it isn't good for sales. I recently was deciding between a Cervelo Carbon Soloist SL and another bike made in the USA (Cannondale if you're curious). The prices were roughly the same -- not cheap in either case. I was leaning toward the Cervelo thinking it was made in Canada. Then I asked the LBS guy straight up: "Is the frame made in Canada?" "No," he replied. "It's made in China." There is NFW I'm paying top-dollar for a two-pound frame made in China. That's my personal opinion, disagree all you want, but for the cost of labor in China being a pittance compared to US labor costs, Cervelo shouldn't be charging what they charge for their high-end frames manufactured in the country that is notorious for garbage quality in manufactured products. Just the last few months, we've had poisoned pets from bad pet food, bad toothpaste, and lead-based paint in Thomas the Train toys -- courtesy of Chinese contractors trying to cut costs. So Cervelo expects me to pay $5K and up for a Carbon Soloist SL bike made in China?? Sorry. NFW.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Rollo Tommassi said:
Trek, Colnago, Specialized, Bianchi etc.
We're comparing high end frames. The R3 and Carbon Soloist -- expensive frames -- are handmade in China. The high-end Trek, Colnago, Specialized and Bianchis are handmade in the USA or Italy -- not China.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
FondriestFan said:
I thought they were made in Taiwan, honestly. Not China.
China, bro.

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
fornaca68 said:
To all those that think made in China is no biggie, then why doesn't Cervelo stamp "HANDMADE IN CHINA" along the seatstays? Answer: because it isn't good for sales. I recently was deciding between a Cervelo Carbon Soloist SL and another bike made in the USA (Cannondale if you're curious). The prices were roughly the same -- not cheap in either case. I was leaning toward the Cervelo thinking it was made in Canada. Then I asked the LBS guy straight up: "Is the frame made in Canada?" "No," he replied. "It's made in China." There is NFW I'm paying top-dollar for a two-pound frame made in China. That's my personal opinion, disagree all you want, but for the cost of labor in China being a pittance compared to US labor costs, Cervelo shouldn't be charging what they charge for their high-end frames manufactured in the country that is notorious for garbage quality in manufactured products. Just the last few months, we've had poisoned pets from bad pet food, bad toothpaste, and lead-based paint in Thomas the Train toys -- courtesy of Chinese contractors trying to cut costs. So Cervelo expects me to pay $5K and up for a Carbon Soloist SL bike made in China?? Sorry. NFW.
My sentiments exactly.

·
Banned
105 Posts
sorry to come in so late hope u dont mind
l dont care where its made provided the quality is fine for the cost
that said l hope those companies that built their reputations off the sweat of loyal hard working people in their countries of origin have secured the jobs of those that helped build that reputation
it would be immoral that for profit, the company out sourced, charged the same price and then said they would not have been competitive if they had not done so even though they
could have made a profit while making at home
not as big granted
ps the italian made steel cinelli is fine after 9 years and the run out sale cadd8 cannondale is on the way

1 - 20 of 40 Posts