Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently bought a used Cervelo "One" bike.
Its set up as a road bike. Its a 57 cm frame.
I'm 6ft tall
This is my return to cycling, my last bike was a stock mid 80's Trek 360 i sold years ago, so i am new to the many changes on the cycling scene such as the new style of stems as well as geometry

my question is this:

my heels seem to extremely far cback/close to the rear axle, is this a result of the so called compact frame style?
Is this Cervelo frame a "compact" frame?

I'm hoping this frame "works" for me, it feels good but I am concerned about the above aspect.

Any help appreciated

·
Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
Why

jack frisch said:
I'm 6ft tall
This is my return to cycling, my last bike was a stock mid 80's Trek 360 i sold years ago, so i am new to the many changes on the cycling scene such as the new style of stems as well as geometry

my question is this:

my heels seem to extremely far cback/close to the rear axle, is this a result of the so called compact frame style?

I'm hoping this frame "works" for me, it feels good but I am concerned about the above aspect.

Any help appreciated
Why are you concerned with where you heals are in relation to the rear axle?

·
Registered
214 Posts
jack frisch said:
I'm 6ft tall

my question is this:

Any help appreciated
Not a compact frameset, it's a sloping top tube. it's nothing to worry about. as long as you have a good comfortable fit you're OK...

·
Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
reread it

jack frisch said:
why?
read my question again
jack frisch said:
Again. Why are you concerned with the position of your heels relative to the rear axle?

Do you have Bozo feet? Are you planning on putting panniers on a Cervelo One? Are dogs nipping at your heals?

I have never heard anyone discuss heel position relative to the the rear axle. I want to know if there is an important fit issue that I'm missing out on!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Lifelover said:
Again. Why are you concerned with the position of your heels relative to the rear axle?

Do you have Bozo feet? Are you planning on putting panniers on a Cervelo One? Are dogs nipping at your heals?

I have never heard anyone discuss heel position relative to the the rear axle. I want to know if there is an important fit issue that I'm missing out on!

He simply wants to know if it is a compact frame.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
jack frisch said:
"compact" frame just means a sloping top tube. That's all.

Some frames (compact or not) have short chainstays. Shorter chainstays make a bike racier.... quicker handling and stiffer feeling. Chainstay length has no relation to top tube slope. Some chainstays are curved or shaped to give some heel (not heal) clearance.

My heels are pretty close to the rear axle on my Cervelo R3. I have long feet and short toes, so the ball of my foot is pretty far forward. That means that there's a lot of foot hanging back off the pedal. I also pedal with my toes out/heels in, so my heels are close to the chainstays. In fact on most of my bikes, my heels can hit the chainstays when I am coasting with my pedals level. It's not a problem when I am pedalling, although if I used road cleats that allowed float, it could be. If your heels don't hit the frame when you are pedalling, you're ok.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not a compact frame

The Cervelo One is not a compact frame and the top tube does not slope. How close are your heels to the axle? Let me know and I'll check how mine fits. I'm 6'1" and ride a 58cm bike and it fits well.

The One is an interesting bike - not a full up tri bike but more aggressive than a standard road bike. The seat tube angle is 74.5 degrees. I have the original documentation/brochure if you want any info.

I've had the bike for a little over 2 years and like it a lot. I'm only doing one or two triathlons a year now, though, so the bike seems a little more aggressive than what I need for the type of riding I do 99% of the time. I'm thinking of getting a more comfort-oriented road setup for training rides (see the thread on Roubaix vs. Pilot)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.