Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only been doing Triathlons for about two years now. Completed One half Ironman and looking to do another half, with a full in the picture for either late this year or next year. Numerous sprint and olympic also. Just to give an idea of my experience and where i am looking to go.

Have a huge dilemma. Been saving to get a P3 2014 for about six months. My dad knew i have been saving and found a 2012 model brand new with ultegra components. the Bike brand new is only $1950. Where as all the bikes i have looked for 2014 i cant find under $3500 since they are into 2015 bikes now. It is a great deal for 2012 but would it be worth the cost of the older bike to upgrade to a race wheelset instead of the new bike with entry wheelset?

Thanks for any help. I know about the design changes but it is not like the 2012 lost all of its aerodynamic properties over the past three years on the rack.

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
I'd go with the money savings and get some nice wheels, an aero helmet and proper tri clothes. You also save more time on those two model differences by practicing your bike transitions.

The P3 is a great bike no matter what year. I road a P2 to several podiums and top bike for the entire event twice on sprint tris. No reason to spend more money when you can get faster elsewhere.

·
rooky tour rider
131 Posts
Go for the 2012 model with that kinda difference in costs.
Before you hit that bikes maximum and 'need' the newer improved model you have a lot to work on yourself.
I'm not trying to insult you, I have great respect for doing even half a IM let alone a full one 0_o
But fact is, unless you are competing in the top rankings you will not notice the marginal weight-savings, or the 2.3% aero increase from that or that tube...

If you're desperate to spend, stick the money in some nice deep section wheels or a rear disc even.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for the reply's. I am def. not insulted by the need to work on myslef. i needed a little bit of confirmation that the 2012 was the best value for me. huge help for Sanders and Miamason.
Thanks

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,577 Posts
The wheels that Cervelo specs on those bike are cheap, and heavy. Not aero at all. They are perfect training wheels. Get the '12 and buy some proper race wheels...it would be a crime to do what many triathletes do and race w/ those crap wheels. And as advised, practice your transitions to perfection. Get a good helmet for your fit and body type. Get some good clothing. All are necessary to go fast.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I'd suggest you consider the P2 - it's a P3 with a different fork (no aero penalty) for a cheaper price. You don't really need more than 105 in terms of components on a tri bike and weight's not a big deal. Honestly, I can't figure out what Cervelo is doing with the P3 and the S3, which are more expensive but nearly identical versions of the P2 and S2. You can find an old disc on ebay if you want .

a good link Cervélo P2 ? First Look | AeroGeeks

The one drawback of the 2012 P3 is that it's the older model, so if you decide you want to sell it in a few years, it's going to be outdated.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'd suggest you consider the P2 - it's a P3 with a different fork (no aero penalty) for a cheaper price. You don't really need more than 105 in terms of components on a tri bike and weight's not a big deal. Honestly, I can't figure out what Cervelo is doing with the P3 and the S3, which are more expensive but nearly identical versions of the P2 and S2. You can find an old disc on ebay if you want .

a good link Cervélo P2 ? First Look | AeroGeeks

The one drawback of the 2012 P3 is that it's the older model, so if you decide you want to sell it in a few years, it's going to be outdated.
Although the P2 and P3 have different forks, the pre 2014 models have a different frame design. All of the 2014-2015 P models have the same shape at the headtube junction though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts