Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have just got my 1st Cervelo and very happy with it, I did a fair bit of research before I got it as well. I was speaking to a LBS mechanic mate of mine who sell Cervelo in their shop, he asked why i got it as they have had a "few" come back broken, he stated they can come apart around the BB area, the alu comes apart from the carbon, or break on the rear stays, has anybody heard of this happening?

He has one customer on his 4th frame, all replaced under warranty.....the only reason he stays with Cervelo is he likes the way they ride.
cheers

Ralph

· Registered
18 Posts
If you check the Cervelo Forum there are several reports of visible cracks around the BB area. In each time Cervelo has just warrantied the frame. The consensus seems to be that the cracks are cosmetic but Cervelo stands behind there product. Which is why I went with them and there lifetime warranty.

9,925 Posts
We had 11 of them while I worked at a shop that sold them. 4 of them involved the BB insert actually rotating in the frame.

9,925 Posts
Tinea Pedis said:
Did they cover the labor cost of swapping all the parts over?
The dealer usually eats that, hence why bike shop bikes cost more than bikes from BD and such.

· Registered
125 Posts
I have had two R3 frames replaced by Cevelo for BB cracks. I am convinced they were both cosmetic, regardless, both times Cervelo replaced frames in less then 10 days. Fact of life with ALL carbon frames is that cracks happen, which is why buying a carbon frame with a lifetime warranty is a must these days.
EM3

· Jez
23 Posts
I had a BB crack in my R3 after around five rides. Very frustrating. However, Cervelo are not cheapskates when it comes to replacing frames as you can see from this forum and others such as the one on the Cervelo site. I've looked at the forums and haven't seen anyone that's had a BB crack and has been told by Cervelo to sling their hook. I was sent a new frame without problems. Cervelo frames are not cheap but what you get in return is a really reliable warrantly and peace of mind that if something goes wrong that is a manufacturing fault, you'll be fine with a replacement. I've not returned frames to other manufacturers, so can't compare, but happy with Cervelo.

· What the what???
12,986 Posts
I don't mean this to come across as a flame, but I'm struck by the number of people here who have bought an expensive product that is obviously flawed, yet are happy (or at least satisfied) because the warranty process is relatively easy...multiple times in some cases. Once, I get, but two or more times for the same problem? For me I think it would be time to get off the train. JMHO.

· Jez
23 Posts
Opus51569 said:
I don't mean this to come across as a flame, but I'm struck by the number of people here who have bought an expensive product that is obviously flawed, yet are happy (or at least satisfied) because the warranty process is relatively easy...multiple times in some cases. Once, I get, but two or more times for the same problem? For me I think it would be time to get off the train. JMHO.
Fair point, but high end carbon fiber bikes of any make can need to go back to the manufacturer - guys I ride with have had different frustrating problems with other makes of frame and I'm not sure that Cervelo is especially bad. I've also got a Look carbon frame and that's had a manufacturing issue and needed replacing. Plenty of other reputable makes also have forum chat about manufacturing issues. If you zone in on these, you could assume the problems affect a higher percentage of people than they actually do - those sites specifically attract people with problems (like me when my BB cracked). Cervelo bikes can be expensive but, as with all makes, paying a lot of money doesn't stop the fact that these kind of frame are often pushing designs to the limit (e.g. weight, stiffness etc) and so can be just as prone to issues as cheaper bikes. Unfortunately, expensive does not equal issue-free. Maybe there's an analogy here with cars where a Ferrari owner is just as likely to take his vehicle back to the garage than the owner of a regular Ford. With that being my view, I just want to be sure that if something does go wrong it will be put right at someone else's cost. I had issues with my R3, but Cervelo came good and my replacement is really excellent, so I'm definitely staying on the train. Blimey - I should add that I don't work for the Cervelo PR department.

9,925 Posts
cotterless ankles said:
I've been seriously considering the Cervelo RS, but these issues concern me and I'm holding back for now. My second choice is the Synanpse Carbon 3. I'll closely monitor this thread.
Thanks-

cotterless ankles
I never saw an RS come back in the shop with a broken frame. It was always the R3, P3, or Soloist.

· 'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,917 Posts
we sell lots of cervelos at the shop i work at and we've never had one have this bb problem. 3 employees ride them, and we have a bunch of racers on them. zero problems. wonder if it has anything to do w/ ham-fisted mechanics over-torqueing bb's?

· Registered
47 Posts
Our cervelo rep has told us that there was a batch of bikes where the cosmetic layer of paint/resin seemed to separate causing the appearance of cracks around the bottom bracket. He said that they were giving the customers new frames for these so that customers would have piece of mind. I wouldn't worry too much about the construction of cervelo's. I have seen a customer come in with a p2c that went into a garage on a roofrack and it actually caused the duraace barend shifter and aluminum aerobar to break but the frame was fine.

· Cycle Boy
470 Posts
.......its like a BMW.....it may break down but the warranty gives you peace of mind. Mos tof the issues, as far as I can read are not causing serious accidents and may very well be just blemishes on final work construction. Over-torquing of the BB could be an issue as well. Not all LBSs are made equal. I know mine is so I'm even more so not worried :)

Plus, their lifetime warranty is awesome. I have an S1 now, no issues thus far. Great bike and will be definitely getting an S2 soon. I have 100% confidence that if anything goes awry, I'll be taken care of ;)

· Registered
5 Posts
The love of the warranty is if you are the original owner. Man, it sucks when you are the second owner. I got a used but pristine '08 SLC-SL last November and was so stoked... 450 miles later (250 of those on rollers) and my drive side chain stay poinked while riding a fast Seattle (read: kind of lumpy) downhill. It does say something about the strength of the frame in that it didn't fail, though my shifting went wonky. But it's at Calfee now, and not under me for the short Seattle summer. Chalk it up as a lesson learned. I should have followed the advice of one of the SLC-SL's reviewers, "Don't buy this frame unless you can afford to buy another one."

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.