Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has one? How do you like it? Where is it made? Taiwan? And why did they go with the Easton EC90 SL fork over, say, the Reynolds?

Also, anyone know where their other frames are made--the Super Prodigy for example?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Answers

Um, I can answer some of your questions but others I have no clue. First off ALL their bikes are made in Canada, I think in central Ontario if I'm not mistaken. I have ridden the soloist and the 2.5rs and was impressed with both. They have a nice feel and are great bikes but as with any other bike you should always ride one before you buy one to see if they are for you. If your looking for the 2.5rs then it will be a bit of a wait, their back ordered till the end of July and after that will probably still be hard to find. As for the fork question, I think the new Easton is a little lighter than the Reynolds, and I haven't rode a Reynolds so I can't give you a comparison on the feel. I would immagine that they liked it for some reason or anouther but who knows, it could be any of a million reasons!!!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
From what I know they're designed in Canada but made in Taiwan.

pakratt99 said:
Um, I can answer some of your questions but others I have no clue. First off ALL their bikes are made in Canada, I think in central Ontario if I'm not mistaken. I have ridden the soloist and the 2.5rs and was impressed with both. They have a nice feel and are great bikes but as with any other bike you should always ride one before you buy one to see if they are for you. If your looking for the 2.5rs then it will be a bit of a wait, their back ordered till the end of July and after that will probably still be hard to find. As for the fork question, I think the new Easton is a little lighter than the Reynolds, and I haven't rode a Reynolds so I can't give you a comparison on the feel. I would immagine that they liked it for some reason or anouther but who knows, it could be any of a million reasons!!!

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
divve said:
From what I know they're designed in Canada but made in Taiwan.
That was my guess. Can anyone confirm one way or another? I actually e-mailed Cervelo this question about a year ago and never got a response, which I didn't think was a good sign. I'm have no problem with frames being built in Taiwan (though I'd never buy one) but it irritates me when builders try to obscure this info. I find the "designed in xxx" thing especially annoying. Anyone here with a Cervelo, what does it say on the frame? Also, a previous discussion on this board indicated that a builder can put "Made in the USA" on the frame if the part of the frame that lends the highest value to the frame was done in the US (like the paint or even the stickers, for example).

·
Registered
262 Posts
R2.5 head tube

I looked into the bike, but the head tube is way too short for me. I'd need a tall stack of spacers to get positioned right. In fact, I emailed Cervelo about it, but they weren't planning on changing it for me...

·
Le Rouleur
74 Posts
They are produced in Taiwan . The company is based out of Toronto, Canada
Not a bad bike but not the most refined either . worth the price for the steel frames.
Not sure about the carbon I have seen a few manufacturing defect carbon frames , tubes
un bonding.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
Excel sports has them...

Excel lists all but the 51cm size as being in stock for $1995.

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...C90SL+Fork&vendorCode=CERVELO&major=1&minor=1

I looked at one on the showroom floor a month or so ago. Pretty nice looking construction, but I'm not a fan of paneled paint jobs. I liked the paint on the Jalabert edition LOOK KG461 better and the cost was a bit less, so that's what I'm trying next.

Also don't know the details of their integrated headset, but I doubt it has the removable bearing races like the KG461.

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,031 Posts
C-40 said:
Excel lists all but the 51cm size as being in stock for $1995.

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...C90SL+Fork&vendorCode=CERVELO&major=1&minor=1

I looked at one on the showroom floor a month or so ago. Pretty nice looking construction, but I'm not a fan of paneled paint jobs and the geometry isn't as suitable for me as the LOOK KG461.

Also don't know the details of their integrated headset, but I doubt it has the removable bearing races like the KG461.
And the look{complete bike} is the same price?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
a bit cheaper...

The LOOK retails for $1800 without a seatpost and the Cervelo is $2000 with a carbon post included, so there's less than a hundred bucks difference between the two. I really just like the paint on the Jalbert edition KG461 better.

I revised my post about the geometry, since the 54cm Cervelo would fit nearly identical to a 51cm KG461. There's a big difference in the STA, but the steep STA on the LOOK combined with a shorter TT produces a nearly identical effective TT length as the Cervelo. Both have the same (shorter than I like) 120mm head tube.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
bdx1366 said:
They are produced in Taiwan . The company is based out of Toronto, Canada. Not a bad bike but not the most refined either ................ Not sure about the carbon I have seen a few manufacturing defect carbon frames , tubes
un bonding.

Yes true, designed in Toronto, made in Taiwan like many CF frames. I've seen the Cervelo close up with a critical eye and it's not bad but not as good as the Argon18. That one is designed in Montreal and also made in Taiwan. I looked at the Marinoni Vectra too (another Montreal/Taiwan frame). For my money the Argon was the best - so much so that I bought one.

·
The Edge
205 Posts
Does it matter where the frame is made if it still passes the quality control before it is painted? Or is it a political thing with sweat shops some are protesting?

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
niteschaos said:
Does it matter where the frame is made if it still passes the quality control before it is painted? Or is it a political thing with sweat shops some are protesting?
Every detail is important and quality control can be a moving target. Either Cervelo has it's own QC guys employed in the factory or the factory does it's own QC.

Maybe where Quality control matters most what numbers they set at the factory. What if Argon fails a frame for 2mm of deviation on the frame alignment when Cervelo passes a frame with up to 4mm of deviation. Those numbers are arbitrary ones I plucked from the air but every company has to set standards for what fails and what doesn't.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
niteschaos said:
It's a pretty old debate. For me it comes down to wanting to support the people who build bikes in this country. All things being equal, why not buy one built in the USA? There's nothing that makes these "better" than a Calfee or even an OCLV. And Taiwan does has a bad track record with environmental issues.

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,031 Posts
Cervelo might have a bit better warr. Went last night to the lbs and checked out the Giant carbons,nice bikes and just as nice as the 5200.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.