Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1st full carbon bike... it just happen when i step into friend's bike shop.. and it was just sitting on the display top, very sharp looking, took it and hold it, and the next thing... boom... it's become mine....

Currently using my previous grouppo and wheelset, due to the fact that tripple crank might look not as nice with this frame, i install a new FSA carbon compact ( the previous type - not the integrated BB)

THe entire bike weight 17.4

Current Bike setup

Cervelo R2.5 + Columbus Carve fork + cervelo Seatpost
FSA Carbon compact -* Still try to get used to the gearing
Full 105 Drivetrain * Will take some Overtime job to upgrade it soon, haaa
Mavic Ksyrium Wheelset + Conti Attack/Force -* I know.. the color of the tire doesnt look right and doesnt go with the frame, it is just abit watsed to change to new tire as the conti are still new (less than 20 rides)
Fizik Arion sadle -* Waited 1 year for my LSB carry this color
ITM Bar and Stem -* minght go for deda or FSA
Look Keo Pedal

Here some pic

·
Registered
482 Posts
Congrats on a nice bike !
I have been on one since October.
I like it...it does everything well.
Mine started at the samw weight as yours.
It is now at 15.2 & dropping. In the end it should be about
14.4 with the clinchers or 13.5 with the tubulars
Enjoy!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far no complain

I suppose u r going for Record/duraace plus Zerogravity Brake with Zipp/Bora/hyperion/Lightweight wheel... haaa...

Was very happy when a friend told me that my bike is a few lbs lighter than his Record equiped Madonne 5.9 with Eurus wheel

so far i only had a few ride since i got this bike (due to rain). so far havent got chance to go for actual hill climb yet, will try it out next week in Genting Highland (one of Tour Langkawi Stage)

on my normal weekly ride, i do feel that not much of road vibration as if is muted by the carbon frame

as for off sadle sprinting - its so responsive and no noticeable power loss.. (especialy when comparing to my previous bike)

Since this is my first full carbon/proper road bike, my opinion are base on the comparision from my previous alloy/carbon-stay frame - Specialized Sequoia

Cant help it... just took a few shot of the bike while working - to share my joy with others

·
Registered
482 Posts
fea said:
I suppose u r going for Record/duraace plus Zerogravity Brake with Zipp/Bora/hyperion/Lightweight wheel... haaa...
No actually mike bike is rather plain. Chorus 10
I did have ZG brakes but did not like them & went back to Mavic SSC
Wheels are inexpensive light clinchers from Mike Garcia at odd's & endos
I do lose some weight with bar, stem, BB, saddle etc. ;)

·
Registered
425 Posts
flying said:
No actually mike bike is rather plain. Chorus 10
I did have ZG brakes but did not like them & went back to Mavic SSC
Wheels are inexpensive light clinchers from Mike Garcia at odd's & endos
I do lose some weight with bar, stem, BB, saddle etc. ;)
What didn't you like about the ZG brakes? I'm thinking of getting a pair, as they seem to get rave reviews. Thanks.

·
Registered
482 Posts
SHVentus said:
What didn't you like about the ZG brakes? I'm thinking of getting a pair, as they seem to get rave reviews. Thanks.
They are great brakes as you can tell by the many who love them.
For me I just liked my Mavic SSC's better. Even with the 125gr penalty ;)

I like to run my pads close to the rim. I also really get cooking on fast descents. Where I live most rides have 4000' of climbing & descending.
So it is nice to just lightly feather my brakes for some turns.

Perhaps it was also the dual pivot of the Mavics I liked better. For me the action & how they work is excellent.

The quality of both Mavic & ZG is excellent. In the end it was just my personal choice. The Mavics for me are the stuff ;)

·
Registered
425 Posts
flying said:
They are great brakes as you can tell by the many who love them.
For me I just liked my Mavic SSC's better. Even with the 125gr penalty ;)

I like to run my pads close to the rim. I also really get cooking on fast descents. Where I live most rides have 4000' of climbing & descending.
So it is nice to just lightly feather my brakes for some turns.

Perhaps it was also the dual pivot of the Mavics I liked better. For me the action & how they work is excellent.

The quality of both Mavic & ZG is excellent. In the end it was just my personal choice. The Mavics for me are the stuff ;)
Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I too a sucker for light and good (bike)stuff

About The ZG Brakes, i did ask afew LSB to bring in a set for me, but they all came out with the same comment as ZG brakes feels spoungy and not as good feel when compare to Shimano or Campy, it really comfuse me, as i never try any onther brakes beside my 105 and the 105 in the early 90's. some how rather, almost every review i read is about how great and how fantastic ZG is, hmmm... may be my LSB just dont want to bring in ZG.

Btw, it was the same thing they comment about Nokon Cable system - NO GOOD.

So anyone how use either ZG or Nokon, pls kindly give us more info, thanks

P/S: as it is not cheap to just to try them out...

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
fea said:
About The ZG Brakes, i did ask afew LSB to bring in a set for me, but they all came out with the same comment as ZG brakes feels spoungy and not as good feel when compare to Shimano or Campy, it really comfuse me, as i never try any onther brakes beside my 105 and the 105 in the early 90's. some how rather, almost every review i read is about how great and how fantastic ZG is, hmmm... may be my LSB just dont want to bring in ZG.

Btw, it was the same thing they comment about Nokon Cable system - NO GOOD.

So anyone how use either ZG or Nokon, pls kindly give us more info, thanks

P/S: as it is not cheap to just to try them out...
Have the LBS people even used ZG brakes? '04 ZG brakes were softish. In '05 they changed the cam to give the brakes better leverage. Since then, ZG brakes are great, IMHO. I've not used Campy brakes, but compared to '04 Dura Ace and Mavic SSC's, the ZGs are very good. They felt better, to me, than the Dura Ace stoppers, and between the Mavics and the ZGs it's a toss up for all intents and purposes. I made the switch from Mavic to ZG just to lose weight. I was completely chuffed with the Mavics. With the ZG brakes I've lost nothing in performance and am equally chuffed.

As for Nokons, I've not used 'em. They can squeak, and I just don't like the way they look. I prefer the smooth radiuses of traditional housings to the way Nokons go round bends. Currently I've got Shimano housings w/ Powercordz running through them to Campy Record components.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
alienator said:
Have the LBS people even used ZG brakes? '04 ZG brakes were softish. In '05 they changed the cam to give the brakes better leverage. Since then, ZG brakes are great, IMHO. I've not used Campy brakes, but compared to '04 Dura Ace and Mavic SSC's, the ZGs are very good. They felt better, to me, than the Dura Ace stoppers, and between the Mavics and the ZGs it's a toss up for all intents and purposes. I made the switch from Mavic to ZG just to lose weight. I was completely chuffed with the Mavics. With the ZG brakes I've lost nothing in performance and am equally chuffed.

As for Nokons, I've not used 'em. They can squeak, and I just don't like the way they look. I prefer the smooth radiuses of traditional housings to the way Nokons go round bends. Currently I've got Shimano housings w/ Powercordz running through them to Campy Record components.
I agree. 2005 ZGs stop as well or better as Campy Record or Mavic SSC, and better than 9s Ultegra. I've used all of those. I hear that 10s DA is better than Record, though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm...

If that's the case, i think i will order one online.
Anyone here have good experience or good recommendation that which online shop porvide international shipping and good service?

Thanks

·
lint picker
139 Posts
Sweet bike, Fea. Just out of curiosity, how'd you mount your CatEye cadence magnet? Did you pop it into the peddle bolt on the crank arm?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Magnet fell all the time...

Hi, i used the Campag ErgoBrain's magnet and put inside the Allenkey hole of the pedal.. it came off... then i tried the normal magnet... same place.. outer abit... it came off.... if fact in went missing... then i use the shoe gum and it stick....so far.. anyway... going to sell the frame soon...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts