Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I couldn't resist building up the 51cm R3 that I've been looking at for the past couple of weeks, so I stole all the parts off my LOOK KG461 and built it up.

For the record, the R3 has all of the same parts as my LOOK 585, same saddle, wheels, tires, bars and stem. I used the same tire pressure and the same pump to fill the tires (no gauge difference).

I certainly did NOT find the ride to be the least bit plush. It did seem to absorb some of the big pavment cracks pretty well (the kind where the asphalt separates about an inch).

I'm smart enough to know that a frame and fork work together and you can't make judgements about a fork until you've ridden the same frame with different forks, so I won't write any BS about the fork's performance. It did all I expect a fork to do.

The big difference between a bike like the R3 and a 585 is the geometry. The R3 has a steeper HTA, less steering trail and a much shorter front center. Expect major toe overlap with the front wheel. No big deal, but something to remember if you make a tight u-turn.

I rode the R3 over my normal 50 mile route with one 10-mile mountain climb and the 10-mile winding descent. The R3 certainly climbed fine and the descending manners were about what you would expect - quick, perhaps too quick.

If I had only one word to describe the R3 it would be jittery. The short wheelbase seemed quite evident at all times.

Bottom line, I like my LOOKs better.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thanks for the comparison & for being honest & frank. Also using the same parts helped give you a equal comparison
Many would not be so honest seeing as how they would maybe worry about selling it.
I doubt that you will have any trouble though as the frame appears to be in high demand. I felt the same way but based on comparing the 585 & the R2.5 from which I moved parts directly to the 585
Thanks again for the review/compare

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree...

With your comments on the Cervelo geometry. I came away quite unimpressed from a 2-hour test ride with a 58CM R2.5 that I was all but set on purchasing beforehand.

About all I liked about the bike was how well it climbed...the rest was forgettable-

-Serious tow overlap (I must admit I wear size 48, although my GF rides a 54CM Cervelo with size 39 shoes and also experiences this)

-Flexy front end (Easton fork could have contributed- Reynolds likely better)

-Flexy BB

-Jittery descending capabilities

-Nervous, overly-quick handling esp. at low speeds.

I do understand this is serious racing geomtry- low and long- just not necessarily appropriate for the style of riding I do.

Needless to say, I bought a Serotta Coeur d'Acier and haven't looked back- the stock geometry is incredibly stable and neutral.

·
Registered
498 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tend to agree

I ride an R2.5 and the jitteriness was something a teammate and I noticed immediately. We both came off of Lemonds BTW. For the first couple of weeks we both felt like we had to work to keep the front end under control. I find the ride to be nice though. I use the Reynolds fork (I also had one on the Lemond).

I like the handling of the Lemond much better but the Cervelo is a snappier and more responsive ride.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good crit bike...

The R3 would make a good crit bike with it's quick handling and stiffness. I never noticed any lack of control at low or high speeds. The bike flew down a mountain desecnt just fine, but I just wasn't used to the steering response. When I own two bikes, I like them to be at least similar in steering response, otherwise, it's easy to find yourself on the wrong side of the road, going 35-40 around a mountain hairpin.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I have no toe overlap on my 56cm R3. (size 45 shoes, 175mm cranks). I like the steering compared to my old bike (airborne zeppelin) and Pedalforce QS2, both of which feel a bit slow in comparison. Interesting since all three bikes have the same head tube angle and stem length. I don't find the steering too quick, but then I rode a Vitus for years and its 75 degree head tube didn't bother me.... I just had to remember not to ride no handed at certain speeds.

The difference in steering between the bikes is pretty subtle. It is much less than the difference between a road bike and a mountain bike. I can pick any of my bikes and ride the twisty bumpy 45mph descent from my house without worrying about which one I am on.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,113 Posts
torac said:
Blue Competitions T12 Tri,Time Trial bike is much faster and smoother riding then the Cervelo3! I've ridden both-not even close!
Elsewhere you posted:

torac said:
Buy a "Blue Competition" carbon frame and blow them all away. I've been riding a Carbon R$. I'm 205 lbs. This things is a rocket! Fast acceleration,great handling and the best fit,finish and paint scheme I've ever seen on a carbon frame. I get stopped all the time so people can check it. Also,its comfortable and quiet.
Hmm.... so is a Blue Competition bike the solution to everything?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
orange_julius said:
Elsewhere you posted:

Hey, to be fair he also has two posts about how kick a$$ AM Classic wheels are. I wish I was this amped about my cycling purchases!

AC 420's are sturdy. I'm 6'2",205 lbs and I race on them! Their recall was on a $.50 cam plate. I've ridden many wheels over the years but AC consistantly performs. Their magnesium 300 dollar for...
Forum: Wheels and Tires 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 16 new wheel recommendations
Views: 340 Posted By torac

American Classic 420's You can't miss. Great...

American Classic 420's You can't miss. Great price. Hold up well (I'm 200 lbs)Very responsive and the company is great to deal with.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,354 Posts
This surprises me

C-40 said:
That's what I thought when I bought two frames, it would be easy to sell the extra, but so far, no bites at $2400. Now I've got two to sell.
I had a used 56cm R3 that sold Buy It Now for 2200 in less than three hours. Perhaps it's a more generic size?

On another note, C-40, check your PMs.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
No Pics?

This thread is worthless without pics!

·
Registered
354 Posts
What? I thought the 585 was a flexy noodle that felt like one of those original Litespeeds? At least that is what everyone around here likes to claim:rolleyes: This must come from that BB stiffness data in the German mag test. Not sure that I can say a frame that is carbon lugged, that weighs 950g and is super-smooth will also be overpoweringly stiff. But, didn't Hushovd ride this frame (until the 595 came out)?

I have to say that my 585 is the best frame I have owned to date. I even won my first Cat3 race on it this month (State Championship nonetheless)! It is stiff, solid, neutral, predictable, snappy, very light, really smooth and re-assuring. So far, I couldn't be happier. In combination with some stiff wheels (Reynolds Stratus DV's) the thing is a rocket. I just like it better all-around than the Fondriest Carbon Lex it replaced: more predictable up front, lighter, better tracking on rough roads, smoother ride, and sharper looking (I have the CA white paint).

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
dawgcatching said:
What? I thought the 585 was a flexy noodle that felt like one of those original Litespeeds? At least that is what everyone around here likes to claim:rolleyes: This must come from that BB stiffness data in the German mag test. Not sure that I can say a frame that is carbon lugged, that weighs 950g and is super-smooth will also be overpoweringly stiff. But, didn't Hushovd ride this frame (until the 595 came out)?
If you're going to be sarcastic at least get your facts right. The BB stiffness of the 585 is good. Only the torsional/head tube stiffness is on the lower end of the scale. It's a matter of personal preference whether you like it or not.

Hushovd rides a modified version that weighs more and has a higher stiffness. Aside from that your frame doesn't weigh 950g either.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Just curious what the different 585's do weigh?
Anyone weigh the pther sizes? I am betting the XS is pretty light eh?
My Medium is 1023 grams bare.
My old R2.5 which was roughly the same size 54 was 1164 grams

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.