Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone an R2.5 and new Solist Carbon. I have an R2.5 and its being replaced with the new r2.5 but have a chance to consider the Solist. The R3 isnt out yet but curious if any current r2.5 owners can compare the two.

thanks

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
key said:
Curious if anyone an R2.5 and new Solist Carbon. I have an R2.5 and its being replaced with the new r2.5 but have a chance to consider the Solist. The R3 isnt out yet but curious if any current r2.5 owners can compare the two.

thanks
I was in the same situation. My R2.5 developed a crack last December and I had the option of having it replaced with a Soloist Carbon right away or waiting for a R3 in March (I didn't want another R2.5). Since I could get the Soloist immediately at no charge, I chose it over waiting for the R3. My experience is that I really can't feel any significant difference between the R2.5 and the Soloist. Both are plenty stiff enough for me so that I can't feel any frame flex and both are comfortable enough that I feel fine after 4-5 hour rides. One difference I do notice is that the Soloist is noiser than the R2.5 due to the internal cable routing; if that matters to you. It certainly isn't enough to bother me. In theory, the Soloist should have some small aerodynamic advantage, and the R2.5 or R3 some slight weight advantage. That said, I believe the difference wouldn't be noticable riding or racing and would only be seen in a wind tunnel or a carefully controlled study. I'd say just pick whichever one appeals to you more for whatever reason knowing that the Soloist, R2.5, and R3 are all very good frames.

·
Registered
279 Posts
key said:

thanks
I rode last week with a guy who got a Soloist replacement when his 2.5 frame broke - don't know the details. He was quite pleased with it... seemed to like both frames equally. Considering the great review in cyclingnews on the Soloist I'd take a serious look at that frame.

·
Registered
164 Posts
aerodynamics

asgelle said:
I was in the same situation. My R2.5 developed a crack last December and I had the option of having it replaced with a Soloist Carbon right away or waiting for a R3 in March (I didn't want another R2.5). Since I could get the Soloist immediately at no charge, I chose it over waiting for the R3. My experience is that I really can't feel any significant difference between the R2.5 and the Soloist. Both are plenty stiff enough for me so that I can't feel any frame flex and both are comfortable enough that I feel fine after 4-5 hour rides. One difference I do notice is that the Soloist is noiser than the R2.5 due to the internal cable routing; if that matters to you. It certainly isn't enough to bother me. In theory, the Soloist should have some small aerodynamic advantage, and the R2.5 or R3 some slight weight advantage. That said, I believe the difference wouldn't be noticable riding or racing and would only be seen in a wind tunnel or a carefully controlled study. I'd say just pick whichever one appeals to you more for whatever reason knowing that the Soloist, R2.5, and R3 are all very good frames.
I've been looking for an answer to this. Aerodynamics matters in cycling, but it seems no one can quantify how much a frame like the soloist helps versus an R3 or other round tube frame. Not that I'm asking you to do this, but it would be nice if someone would do some tests with a power meter on a track or some other controlled environment.

Congrats on the ride, and give us more reports on your new ride. I'm sure there are a lot of people interested in the soloist carbon.

C72

·
Registered
482 Posts
Just curious how old these R2.5's that are being replaced were?
Asgelle when you said "last December" do you mean December 2004?
I have a R2.5 & have not tried a Soloist. If I had my choice it would be R2.5 again or R3. I have never cared for that much downtube ;)
Although if I were getting it for Tri or most of my rides were above 20mph average, mostly flats I would consider it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought mine in sept 04 and it was the newer model r2.5, one almost 1 1/2yrs old. Great bike and ride until the frame came un-bonded.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thanks
I was curious as I heard a few stories about 04 models coming unbonded at the rear dropout. where the chainstay plugs in. Did yours cause a accident or did you just notice it?
Bought mine in October 05
So far so good.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
flying said:
Just curious how old these R2.5's that are being replaced were?
Asgelle when you said "last December" do you mean December 2004?
Mine was a 2005 model (checked by the serial number). I got it August '05 and it developed a crack where the downtube fits into the head tube lug December '05. Even though it was 4 months old, I hadn't ridden in much (definitely less than 1000 miles). My guess is it's the kind of fault where if it doesn't show up fairly soon, you have nothing to worry about (which isn't to say I wouldn't keep an eye on it).

·
Registered
482 Posts
asgelle said:
Mine was a 2005 model (checked by the serial number). I got it August '05 and it developed a crack where the downtube fits into the head tube lug December '05. Even though it was 4 months old, I hadn't ridden in much (definitely less than 1000 miles). My guess is it's the kind of fault where if it doesn't show up fairly soon, you have nothing to worry about (which isn't to say I wouldn't keep an eye on it).
Thanks for the info. Yes I take good care of my bikes. So it gets cleaned & inspected weekly. One other thing I wondered if these faults were more on the built bikes with the blue decals or the Team frames with the red decals?Mine is the red decal team frame.... Not that it would matter.....But I did notice lots of the blue decals bikes were not as finished at the rear dropouts. Not structural per se but the lack of the filler they use to smooth out the joint.
I talked with Cervelo once & they assured me the problem was fixed now & that the lug actually went quite a ways into the tubes at the dropouts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't have one of the early production models that had lots of the issues, it was also the red frame set only. It just came un-bonded, no accident. Found it because I was going crazy looking for what I thought was a creaky bottom bracket and for the life of me just could fine that creak. Finally after doing everything and driving me and my LBS nuts, we noticed the read wheel would shift slightly under load or on a hill. That was it and saw the rear-drop out separate. I have to say that it’s also a testament to the frame as this noise was there for about 2-3 weeks and I was riding it the whole time, lucky but also a dam strong frame.

So I now with the new R3's coming out and being lighter and wafer slime seat tubes I'm leaning toward the Carbon Soloist. I'm willing to add some weight for a stiff and stronger ride.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thanks for the info.
As for the R3 I have heard Cervelo say that the seat stays are just there because the UCI requires it as part of the design rules. They say the frame chainstays on the R3 don't even need the seatstays. I also notice they have done a R3 cross frame.
Must be pretty stout ;) Also when looking at the new R3 I notice it is lugless now.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I may be in the minority, but I think the R3 looks a heckuva lot nicer than the Soloist. Sadly, that is reason enough for me to choose the R3 :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
depends on what your looking for: soloist= very aero at 1050 grams or R3 = 870 grams can fit wide tires on... the R3 is very nice i saw a few at ToC. I like the soloist b/c is somewhat light and is very aero and stiff. Also when i was at the ToC in S.F. the man who came down from Canada working for cervelo said he couldnt even get a soloist carbon because of the wait

·
Registered
120 Posts
key said:
I didn't have one of the early production models that had lots of the issues, it was also the red frame set only. It just came un-bonded, no accident. Found it because I was going crazy looking for what I thought was a creaky bottom bracket and for the life of me just could fine that creak. Finally after doing everything and driving me and my LBS nuts, we noticed the read wheel would shift slightly under load or on a hill. That was it and saw the rear-drop out separate. I have to say that it’s also a testament to the frame as this noise was there for about 2-3 weeks and I was riding it the whole time, lucky but also a dam strong frame.

So I now with the new R3's coming out and being lighter and wafer slime seat tubes I'm leaning toward the Carbon Soloist. I'm willing to add some weight for a stiff and stronger ride.
Key, was it the joint between the dropout and the seat-stay or the chain-stay? And how did you apply the load and see it separate? I've got one of the 2005 models with the blue decals and sometimes I get a creak when I'm climbing, in the saddle or out. Trying to keep my eyes open for any problems. Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
trip221 said:
Key, was it the joint between the dropout and the seat-stay or the chain-stay? And how did you apply the load and see it separate? I've got one of the 2005 models with the blue decals and sometimes I get a creak when I'm climbing, in the saddle or out. Trying to keep my eyes open for any problems. Thanks.
At the seat-stay, no drive side. Had the creak and thought it was a bottom bracket, then did what we all do and went nuts checking and lubing everything. Finally just sitting on it and would push down slightly and saw ( and heard) the wheel shift slightly. Then noticed the dropout/seatstay separate. Dumb luck really as I was sure at that point it might have been the headset....

go figure.

Anyway, new carbon Soloist on the way!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just purchased a Carbon Soloist, the last in the store and the last for a few months because of the waiting list. I have not ridden it but I have weighed it and the size 54 is 1200 grams complete and the post is 185 grams.

I have seen the R3 in person as it is in the store as well. This is a very light frame but as aero as a brick. The Downtube is huge and very squoval.

I love light but I race and do long ride over 20mph so I am hoping that the soloist will help me there. Also the Soloist replaced a 1000 gram frame and this was way under 6.8 kg so now I am closer to the legal limits.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts