Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Cervelo R3 Di2. The stock wheels are Fulcum Racing 5.5 (16/622). I'm investigating an upgrade to carbon aero wheels. I demoed the ENVE 3.4s. Turns out the tires were rubbing on the top of the front fork which I only notice after a few rides. My bike shop says that Cervelos designs have tight tolerances so a few millimeters makes a big difference. This sucks because first, I couldn't tell if I like ENVE wheels and I am struggling to understand how to tell if wheels+tires will fit on my bike.

Is there a way to determine if wheels fit on my bike based on the published specs and wheel dimensions? Or are tires the key when it comes to fit on a specific bike.

Budget is not a constraint. But I don't want to make a dumb purchase... Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

:)

·
Registered
21,674 Posts
I have a 2014 Cervelo R3 Di2. The stock wheels are Fulcum Racing 5.5 (16/622). I'm investigating an upgrade to carbon aero wheels. I demoed the ENVE 3.4s. Turns out the tires were rubbing on the top of the front fork which I only notice after a few rides. My bike shop says that Cervelos designs have tight tolerances so a few millimeters makes a big difference. This sucks because first, I couldn't tell if I like ENVE wheels and I am struggling to understand how to tell if wheels+tires will fit on my bike.

Is there a way to determine if wheels fit on my bike based on the published specs and wheel dimensions? Or are tires the key when it comes to fit on a specific bike.

Budget is not a constraint. But I don't want to make a dumb purchase... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Not clear from your question what tire size you had on the demo wheels, so very hard to answer. If you were using the same tires you have on your existing wheels, then the clearance you have now must be very close. Rim width will influence "installed" tire size a bit but only a couple of mm at most.

There has been talk about some sort of collection of actual tire sizes when installed on various rims, but that doesn't exist to my knowledge, so your question is basically unanswerable.

BTW, there is a Wheels and Tires sub forum where this should have been posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts