Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
always right sometimes
1,832 Posts
mtbbmet said:
http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.php?id=19827

Seems to me that a "Canadian" company sponsoring a major team would kill for the chance to race on home roads. Especially when said team has a premier Canadian cyclist on it's team. Not so much, I guess. One more reason for me to hate/loath cervelo.
Boo on you and your joke of a bike brand.

Are you Canadian? Is there a lot of dislike for Cervelo in Canada? I am very happy with mine so far...

·
Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
mtbbmet said:
http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.php?id=19827

Seems to me that a "Canadian" company sponsoring a major team would kill for the chance to race on home roads. Especially when said team has a premier Canadian cyclist on it's team. Not so much, I guess. One more reason for me to hate/loath cervelo.
Boo on you and your joke of a bike brand.
I guess you missed this part
They offered to cover all expenses except airfare (as they will for all Pro Continental teams), but could make a special exception for Cervelo.

CTT is a pro-continental team registered in Switzerland.

·
Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
rydbyk said:
Are you Canadian? Is there a lot of dislike for Cervelo in Canada? I am very happy with mine so far...
I am, in fact I'm in Montreal and will go to see this race. Cervelo isn't disliked, at least in my parts, but not as numerous as Specialized or Trek, since Cervelos are sold in far fewer LBS's then the aforementioned brands.
In fact it's even less popular than local brands, such as DeVinci, Guru and Marinoni.

P.S. I'm also happy with my CSC branded R3.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MG537 said:
I guess you missed this part
They offered to cover all expenses except airfare (as they will for all Pro Continental teams), but could make a special exception for Cervelo.

CTT is a pro-continental team registered in Switzerland.
I'm very much aware of where the team is registered, but the title sponsor is a self-proclaimed Canadian company that builds all their frames in China and runs it's buisness out of Switzerland.
Yes I am Canadian, and yes they are hated round here (in my neck of the woods anyway). Cheap, over-priced, under-engineered garbage IMO. You may love yours, but personally I would not ride one if it was free. Actually, they would have to pay me quite a bit to ride one to compensate for everyone I know making fun of me.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
mtbbmet said:
I'm very much aware of where the team is registered, but the title sponsor is a self-proclaimed Canadian company that builds all their frames in China and runs it's buisness out of Switzerland.
Yes I am Canadian, and yes they are hated round here (in my neck of the woods anyway). Cheap, over-priced, under-engineered garbage IMO. You may love yours, but personally I would not ride one if it was free. Actually, they would have to pay me quite a bit to ride one to compensate for everyone I know making fun of me.
there you go, why would they ever bother to show up?

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
I think it was more a question of how Cervelo bikes would fare if they collided with a wayward moose that got on the route. Test data shows not so good. Survival in a crash with a polar bear, yes. Moose, no. And given that it is Canada, there's a high likelihood that that would happen.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
mtbbmet said:
. Actually, they would have to pay me quite a bit to ride one to compensate for everyone I know making fun of me.
Yeah right :rolleyes:

·
always right sometimes
1,832 Posts
mtbbmet said:
Really? Compared to what exactly?:confused: Somehow I doubt that you would pass on a free high end Cervelo...

·
not feeling creative
142 Posts
since I can't think of more than 3 or 4 canadian cyclist' that are even noteworthy in the entire history of cycling, I think Cervelo will survive.

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,483 Posts
mohair_chair said:
I think it was more a question of how Cervelo bikes would fare if they collided with a wayward moose that got on the route. Test data shows not so good. Survival in a crash with a polar bear, yes. Moose, no. And given that it is Canada, there's a high likelihood that that would happen.
What odds would you put on a collision with a Canada goose?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cruso414 said:
since I can't think of more than 3 or 4 canadian cyclist' that are even noteworthy in the entire history of cycling, I think Cervelo will survive.
And I can only think of 8 American cyclist of note, and 5 of those are currently caught up in a doping investigation. My issue has nothing to do with the quality of Canadian cyclists. It is a "Canadian" company snubbing a Canadian Pro-Tour race in a province that is cycling rich. Rich enough to have hosted worlds, mulitple world cups, been a legitimate contender to host a tour stage, and now will host multiple Pro Tour races(by the way, how did America's pro tour races go this year?). It is easliy the most cycling rich area in North America, but Cervelo feels it does not fit in with where the want to focus their marketing. This is the equivalent of TRS or HTC-Columbia snubbing the Tour of California.

And yes, I would absolutely pass on a free Cervelo. I'll stick with what I have. But that's just me, you may love yours. I think they are boring and common.

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
mtbbmet said:
And I can only think of 8 American cyclist of note, and 5 of those are currently caught up in a doping investigation. My issue has nothing to do with the quality of Canadian cyclists. It is a "Canadian" company snubbing a Canadian Pro-Tour race in a province that is cycling rich. Rich enough to have hosted worlds, mulitple world cups, been a legitimate contender to host a tour stage, and now will host multiple Pro Tour races(by the way, how did America's pro tour races go this year?). It is easliy the most cycling rich area in North America, but Cervelo feels it does not fit in with where the want to focus their marketing. This is the equivalent of TRS or HTC-Columbia snubbing the Tour of California.

And yes, I would absolutely pass on a free Cervelo. I'll stick with what I have. But that's just me, you may love yours. I think they are boring and common.
But you see, the problem is that you don't have all the facts. Just a bias. Nobody but the parties involved know the logistics, budgets, commitments, etc. that lead to the decline to participate. It's obvious from your posts that you already dislike Cervelo so any apparent "misstep" on their part is going to incur your wrath. But you don't buy their product anyway so you know. That's the thing about fickle humans. We form likes and dislikes on whims based on nothing more than whether or not a guy has a unibrow.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bmxhacksaw said:
But you see, the problem is that you don't have all the facts. Just a bias.
It's true, I do have a bias, and I don't have all the facts. But if we were all to wait till we had all the facts before posting crap on the intertubes this forum would be dead. These forums are nothing without assumptions, speculation, rumour, and opinions based on half the information.

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
mtbbmet said:
It's true, I do have a bias, and I don't have all the facts. But if we were all to wait till we had all the facts before posting crap on the intertubes this forum would be dead. These forums are nothing without assumptions, speculation, rumour, and opinions based on half the information.
That don't confront me, long as I get my money next Friday. :)

·
always right sometimes
1,832 Posts
mtbbmet said:

So...we can assume that you hate Cervelo based on speculation rooted in rumors and opinions based on half of the information?

Nice! We get it now. What are you riding that is so much nicer than say an S3? I am assuming that you have owned an S3 and very much disliked it. Why?

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
empty_set said:
What odds would you put on a collision with a Canada goose?
All the Canadian geese are down here in California. They come down and never go back. Who can blame them? So while I nearly collide with one at least once a week, your chance of hitting one in Canada is practically zero.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
cruso414 said:
You can only think of 3 or 4 canadian cyclists of note? I can think of three current canadians off the top of my head and I'm not canadian or care about canadian cycling.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts