Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got post in the general discussion area going right now, but I wanted to bring it up over here.

Long story short, I'm in the market for a new frame (currently on a nirone with 105) and walked into the local LBS today looking at the izoard. While chatting it comes up that they have an 08 RS for $1300. I havent ridden either yet, that happens saturday, but am I crazy to even be considering an RS when I'm looking for a more race oriented bike? Any thoughts on either frame, good or bad? Any other suggestions within the $2000 or below price range for a frameset?

Quick background...I'm only 25 and am fairly new to cycling (2 years) and am looking to make the next step to a mid level carbon frame. I'm hoping to get into some tris and possibly some crits this summer.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Get the one that impresses your friends the most, since, really that's the reason we do everything anyway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Neither...

Shops are blowing out the RS and if your somewhat flexible and have a decent core strength, you'll not need or what the larger head tube that makes the RS not an R3.

Wilier are nice looking and ride similar to an R3, but every shop has Wilier now....They're sending them out on consignment. So you can do some serious bargain shopping on both if you go that route.

I believe you said you were looking to do tri and crits... Then you're looking at something stiff and aero. Both of which you can handle at your age...I presume.

Check out:
'08 Ridley Noah:
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...Frameset+08&vendorCode=RIDLEY&major=1&minor=1,

Fondriest TF2 - Super stiff, light and beautiful.

Argon18 Gallium - All rounder with an adjustable head tube

Or hit eBay and RBR classifieds.

Good luck, I'm in the same situation. I just happen to work with few bike shops.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
RS is an awesome frame that can be raced, but if you are wanting to go hard a lot and race a lot, look at R3.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Really?...No, Really?

R3's are one, overpriced.

Heck, all Cervelos are overpriced. Anyone buying one is funding their real-time R&D with your mishaps. (This only applies to those truly using Cervelo's at the Cat 1/2 or 5 level)

Cervelo has made more warranty replacements on these, not including the fork, to have my head spinning. Sorry...but I'll take my trusted inside sources feedback than recreational reviews.

Thanks

·
Banned
952 Posts
wsrobert said:
Any thoughts on either frame, good or bad? Any other suggestions within the $2000 or below price range for a frameset?

They are both good/great and both overpriced. Like all frames worth mentioning.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just went down this same road. The Izoard is an awesome ride. Very compliant. Stiff and smooth. Details are amazing, and the craftsmanship is top notch. Note they are made in Asia / Taiwan....
I personally would choose the Izoard over an RS any day of the week. I'm actually considering buying one at some point...

As far as the RS, I tried an RS, it was nice, smooth and seemed well made. I noticed on the bike's I demo'd there were paint chips everywhere. Which would indicate to me that the finish does not handle abuse and is extremely thin. It would have to be babied to keep her looking nice.
I also noticed that the rear was very supple. Almost to soft for my personal liking when climbing in the saddle. If I were racing again, and I wanted a Cervelo- I would choose a more stiffer frame. Perhaps the R3. I don't the RS is suited for it. Unless you ride cobbles or rough pavement all the time.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
wsrobert said:
So I've got post in the general discussion area going right now, but I wanted to bring it up over here.

Long story short, I'm in the market for a new frame (currently on a nirone with 105) and walked into the local LBS today looking at the izoard. While chatting it comes up that they have an 08 RS for $1300. I havent ridden either yet, that happens saturday, but am I crazy to even be considering an RS when I'm looking for a more race oriented bike? Any thoughts on either frame, good or bad? Any other suggestions within the $2000 or below price range for a frameset?

Quick background...I'm only 25 and am fairly new to cycling (2 years) and am looking to make the next step to a mid level carbon frame. I'm hoping to get into some tris and possibly some crits this summer.
$1300 for a new RS is a smoking deal!! i'm not a huge fan of cervelo- to me just another very good asian-made carbon frame without the heritage of say colnago, merckx, de rosa, etc. it doesn't have that special appeal for me but if that doesn't bother you, then you should definitely consider the RS even with the longer headtube. nothing that a 74 degree stem and using only one 5mm spacer can't fix. most folks, unless they are cat1 euro pros, don't need a steep saddle to bar drop, hence that is why you see a lot of riders with 15 to 25 mm of spacers.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I definitely agree that the RS could be raced, at least thats what I've read. I think its honestly comes down to aesthetics. Its just hard to get over that extremely large head tube. But, you're right, its quite the deal.

Whats everyones opinion on the Mortirolo? The frameset is about the same price as the RS on sale, but would it even be that much of a jump from my current nirone with carbon fork and seatstays? I'd like to make a significant jump in terms of my frame so I wont (hopefully) be in the market for a new one for at least a few years.

I'd just like to annotate this entire discussion with the fact that I know I need to ride all of them first, but just trying to spark discussion.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I shopped for bikes this fall and ultimately ended up choosing between these very two frames. I thought the rides were way more alike than different. I can't imagine there are meaningful performance differences between the two. The prices were virtually identical.

I bought the Wilier because (i) there are lots of young, athletic riders on Cervelos, which would make me look older and nerdier in comparison, and (ii) I liked the Italian paint job on the Wilier.

No regrets, I love the Wilier.

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
If you're going to be racing, I wouldn't buy a 2000 frame set. I would go get a Fuji or something at Performance that is on clearance, change out the wheels and beat the hell out of it. Especially since you're new and not a pro.
If you're not racing, then get the Izoard. What happens when you crash your $2000 frame set that you use for everything...?

·
Registered
31 Posts
how does the Izoard compare to the Le Roi? Could someone explain what kind of rider the Le Roi is built for because from what I've gathered it is quite alike to the Izoard in terms of geometry. If anyone could chip in as I've been unable to find a good answer online.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts