Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Cervelo S1. A month after I purchased it, the bottom bracket ( I believe ) started creaking when I put more torque on the pedals. I had it cleaned and reassembled and it still creaked. Then it started popping and creaking. I had it cleaned (bottom bracket) and reassembled again. It is still creaking and popping to the point where I don't enjoy riding it. Cervelo said take it to a dealer to fix it. The closest one is a long drive. Has anyone encountered this problem on the 2009 model or any others?????

·
Cycle Boy
470 Posts
I have a Cervelo S1 2009 and I ride it fairly hard. No problems so far. Sounds like a manufacturing defect maybe? I would take it to the dealer asap.

·
Behind on post count
305 Posts
Just about every bike starts creaking/popping/ticking at some point. Yours seems to have gotten an early start. Bottom Bracket noise can be a challenge because even though you swear that's the source it is often something else. In all the dozen plus times I thought it was the bottom bracket it only turned out to be the case maybe once.
Here is a link to the most comprehensive list of noise sources I've found.
It's helped me a few times. Good luck.
http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html

·
Rub it............
3,929 Posts
There are a ton of places that can be the source of creaking.

Seat rails
Seat clamp
seat post
pedals
chainring bolts
headset
stem
handlebars
wheels - skewers tight?
crank arms.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
coach1, I have a Cervelo Soloist Team '06 (same bike as S1) and experienced the same problem. I had Look KEOs and they were creaky, but that bike has this problem it seems. Make sure to check out the Cervelo forum as there are many postings regarding S1 creaking, etc.
http://forums.cervelo.com/forums/5.aspx
I my case, I swore that it was coming from the bottom bracket area. I tried everything, but I didn't eliminate it until I tried a suggestion from the Cervelo forum. Placing electrical tape between the copper seatpost shim and where it meets the frame (not between the seat post and shim). Sounds crazy but it fixed it. That aluminum really transmits the sounds and creaks. Also, I'm assuming the S1 still uses the shim. I have the older alloy reversible seatpost, so I don't know if this will actually work in your case. I'm sure you'll find your answer at the Cervelo forum.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
coach1 said:
Are you calling me stupid?
I don't know who you're responding to, but you're overreacting, that much is clear. I didn't detect a derisive tone from anyone.

It's difficult to diagnose from where a sound comes. More often, we hear a region. Check everything around it. Pedals - repack bearings, grease them, give them some love. FD band.

Seatpost - grease and tighten down
Saddle rails - grease and tighten down
Removable dropout attachments - grease and tighten down

etc...

Since you said it's a long drive, doing any of these could potentially remove the squeak, thereby saving you a lot of time

·
Registered
461 Posts
After purchasing a $200 seat my bike started making a noise. The noise seemed unrelated to the seat, well sort of. I eventually swapped out pedals and that changed nothing.

Eventually I determined that if I push on the aft right corner of my seat I could get the noise to happen. Re-greasing the seatpost and making sure that the seat clamp was seated properly (square) made the noise go away. The noise radiates pretty effectively through the frame and makes it hard to determine the source.

·
Behind on post count
305 Posts
estone2 said:
I don't know who you're responding to, but you're overreacting, that much is clear. I didn't detect a derisive tone from anyone.

It's difficult to diagnose from where a sound comes. More often, we hear a region. Check everything around it. Pedals - repack bearings, grease them, give them some love. FD band.

Seatpost - grease and tighten down
Saddle rails - grease and tighten down
Removable dropout attachments - grease and tighten down

etc...

Since you said it's a long drive, doing any of these could potentially remove the squeak, thereby saving you a lot of time
I think coach1 might be responding to frdfandc's sig line
"You can't fix stupid"
coach1, that statement is on all of frdfrandc's posts.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I hate any unusual sounds on my bike. Does it do it when in saddle only, when standing and pedaling only, or both? If it's only while in saddle, chance are it has something to do with saddle, seatpost, seatpost clamp etc. etc. I have literally taken my Cervelo RS apart, cleaned, re-greased and re-torqued everything a couple times when chasing a sound. Problem is I never do one thing at a time so I am never 100% sure what fixes the sound, but it gets fixed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sometimes tapping and facing the bottom bracket will make the noise go away. I had some creaking last week, and I had the bb faced and tapped, no change. :mad2: turns out it was my pedal/cleat interface on my LOOK pedals. Gently scratched away the glazing on the cleats, problem solved.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.