Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

i am riding a specialized tarmac pro sl (52cm frame) now with 100mm stem which is fit to me.few days ago, i decided to buy a cervelo s2, however, i find that it is hard for me to decide which size should i take

tarmac pro sl 52cm cervelo s2 51cm cercelo s2 54cm

top tube 537mm 530mm 545mm

standover 755mm 729mm 746mm

Seat-Tube Length-B-B Center to Top 490mm ?? ??

i would go to bike shop for fitting few days later, but just want to have some advise first. i am around 173.5cm tall, just wondering would 51cm too small for me.. on the other hand, i also worried will 54cm too big for me. could anyone give me some advices? thx!

· Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

I'm 5'10" = 177.5 and I went for a 54cm S2. My inside leg is 32" jeans length (I know it's not accurate but it gives a little idea of my sizing)

on the 54cm I am running a 110mm stem with 25mm of spacers, I have 3.5cm of seatpin inserted in addition to the minimum insertion marked on the post.

I would definately have been too big for a 51cm frame.

· Registered
581 Posts
psowing200 said:
Hi all,

i am riding a specialized tarmac pro sl (52cm frame) now with 100mm stem which is fit to me.few days ago, i decided to buy a cervelo s2, however, i find that it is hard for me to decide which size should i take

tarmac pro sl 52cm cervelo s2 51cm cercelo s2 54cm

top tube 537mm 530mm 545mm

standover 755mm 729mm 746mm

Seat-Tube Length-B-B Center to Top 490mm ?? ??

i would go to bike shop for fitting few days later, but just want to have some advise first. i am around 173.5cm tall, just wondering would 51cm too small for me.. on the other hand, i also worried will 54cm too big for me. could anyone give me some advices? thx!
You're in between sizes really. I am 172.5cm tall, and used to ride a Soloist (S1) 51cm. I wanted a more aggressive position and more saddle to bar drop. I used a 120mm stem and had I continued to adapt my body to the bike during the race season I would have moved on to a 130mm stem. But I sold it before that happened. I think the seat tube length of a 51cm S2 is 49-49.5cm, and the 54cm S2 has probably around a 51cm. Carlos Sastre rides a 51cm S3 or R3. http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech/2009/probikes/?id=carlos_sastre_cervelo_testeam_s3.

Of course I don't think you should use what the pros ride in determining your size since they all seem to ride bikes a size too small for them. Plus, without knowing your proportions, inseam length, saddle height, trunk and arm length, people at this site would only be hazarding a guess. That said, you may be more comfortable on a 54cm and in fact I know someone who is your height who seems really comfortable on 54cm R3. Then again, he doesn't race. If you want to race, I would tend to go with a 51cm even at your height.

However, I was never fond of the massive toe overlap on the 51cm Cervelo sizes. You won't get that on a 54cm. If possible you should go to any bike shop that carries a 54cm or 51cm Cervelo and try it out. Good luck!

· Registered
479 Posts
size 54? with a 1.71 cm?? well I think that proffi fitting just took your money. I am 171.5 cm I use a size 51. with a 120 mm stem. my inseam is 79.5 cm , I use 2 x 10 mm spacers under my stem thats it. unless you are using a really short stem and no spacers and almost same height saddle to bar. I would go with the smaller size, always take smaller size, just get a 110 stem and will be fine better small than large

· Registered
479 Posts
I dont think so, just look at the top tube length of ur bike 52 is 537 mm and cervelo 51 530 mm. just compare geometries. a 51 cervelo can be compared to a size small on giant 535 mm . and 50 or 51 in almost any brand. just get the bike with the most similiar geometry of your actual bike.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
malanb said:
I dont think so, just look at the top tube length of ur bike 52 is 537 mm and cervelo 51 530 mm. just compare geometries. a 51 cervelo can be compared to a size small on giant 535 mm . and 50 or 51 in almost any brand. just get the bike with the most similiar geometry of your actual bike.

i hope you will be right. i would go to nearby bike shop tmr, and ask the staff to help me fitting on the bike and ask if it is too small for me, i hope they can find a solution on it:( if it is too small, i may consider to sell the bike:(

· Registered
581 Posts
psowing200 said:
i hope you will be right. i would go to nearby bike shop tmr, and ask the staff to help me fitting on the bike and ask if it is too small for me, i hope they can find a solution on it:( if it is too small, i may consider to sell the bike:(
You'll be fine on 51cm. What your friend means by small is simply that the wheelbase is very short, so it does look a bit compact. Based on your specs of your Tarmac, you need a couple adjustments:

1. You'll actually have to move your saddle a bit forward. All Cervelos have a shallow 73 deg seat tube angle (regardless of frame size), which means that to acheive knee over pedal spindle, you'll have to move your saddle a bit forward.

2. You may need a 110mm stem after getting used to the bike. The Specialized has .7cm long top tube and the seat angle is steeper, so effective top tube is longer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.