Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time for a new bike. The Giant OCR3 is just not doing it anymore.

I have been snipping bikes for a while now trying to see what I can afford. Budget is around 1500-2k.

I can get the Cervelo Soloist which is alluminum or a used carbon competitor such as a Giant TCR, Jamis Xenith, Trek Madone 5.2, Specialized Tarmac and so on.

Does anyone know the weight of the Carbon Soloist and is the extra weight worth the aerodynamic advantage?

thoughts on this?

· What up, dog?
473 Posts
Quit being a weight weenie and ride what feels good. :thumbsup: It's easier for you to lose 5# than to try to shed a few hundred grams here and there on a bike.

Weight vary depending on too many factors - saddle, tires, wheels, bars, etc. Frame size also mattters, and you haven't mentioned what size you'd ride. Steering tube length also factor in significantly. Don't sweat it. Just buy what fits and rides well.

· Registered
134 Posts
please post on what you think of the cervelo. my heart is set on that bike. the only other bike im considering is a tarmac. two of my friends have carbon cervelo's (GORGEOUS bikes) and i haven't had a chance to get out to an area cervelo dealer wit a soloist team. your in put will be greatly appreciated.

· Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
axebiker said:
Cervelo's are definitely lookers. A girl I work with has the Soloist Team and sure likes it. But MAN, you sure do have to pay a lot of them.

Good luck! I hope it rocks!
You have to pay a lot for Cervelo Soloist Team? Meaning the aluminum frame?
My GF bought one with stock Ultegra grouppo. She paid $1800 (canadian funds) which includes all taxes.

· What up, dog?
473 Posts
MG537 said:
You have to pay a lot for Cervelo Soloist Team? Meaning the aluminum frame?
My GF bought one with stock Ultegra grouppo. She paid $1800 (canadian funds) which includes all taxes.
That's nice. Good price.

They're about $2200 in the US w/Ultegra, or about $2000 with Ultegra/FSA mix. I guess I'm not really nuts about an all-aluminum frame (no carbon) for that kind of cash. There are better values out there. Still a great bike though.

· Registered
158 Posts
I've always heard that the soloist was a very aggressive ride..really short head tube, it's almost a TT bike/road bike hybrid.

I would stick with the Tarmac, especially the 2009 Tarmac expert (SL2 features get trickled down to the expert!)

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
after researching the soloist weight around 17lbs and the specialized lite is around 18.5lb.

Weight isn't a deciding factor. I am only 155lbs (probably be around 150 in a few months). But obviously something that will get up and go will be great.

Keep in mind the team soloist does have carbon fork.

I will ride tarmac and soloist on saturday and let you guys know my thoughts.

· Registered
169 Posts
I love my cervelo. I would say go with what fits better. But I would go with the cervelo, I would say the aerodynamic advantage is worth the extra weight. Hey but remember it's the legs.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok I went and tried the Cervelo Soloist Team today. The guys at the shop were stoked about the bike and said its a great bike for road racing.

I gave it a test ride, but they didnt' have my exact size built in the shop. So it wasn't a great test. I thought it felt ok, but I didn't get a great feel from it. I also gave the Tarmac Elite a ride as well. It felt really bulky compared to the alluminum Cervello. I actually think the tarmac even weighed more....I just didn't feel great on the tarmac.

So the guys pulls out a Cannondale Super Six. He said it fit my body type. I gave it a test ride and it felt absolutely amazing. However it is a little out of my budget (pushing WAY over 3k).

I will try another shop in the area that has Cerv for a better fitting ride for a test.

· What up, dog?
473 Posts
I haven't ridden a Cannonpile roadie since about 1992, but i do have an '04 F600 mtb... I hope the ride of those bikes has gotten a little more user friendly. My "bits & pieces" wanted to crawl back inside me from the harshness of the C-Dale ride. It taught me what pain was all about.

I hope you're able to find a Cervelo that fits at this point in the season - it sounds like you kinda have your heart set on one. Interesting take on the Tarmac - I'll have to ride one some day. I was working on a trade for one last week, but it (thankfully) fell through, and I still have my Litespeed. I just put new tires on that this weekend (700x25's), and it rides like an all new bike!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.