Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me out here

Looking to purchase my first road bike in about 20-years.

Trying to decide between Cervelo Soloist team (ultegra) and Ridley Excalibur (Rival).

I'm 5-10 and 210lbs. Current MTB rides are a cannondale Jekyl and Santa Cruz Bullit.

Your thoughts?

Thanks
Rich
:confused:

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Buy which ever one you feel the most comfortable on. Ride them both, they are both great bikes, but you are bound to like how one feels underneath you more than the other. Choose whatever model tickles you in that special spot, becuase if you like your bike, you'll ride your bike more. And riding is good.
As for components which, you can never go wrong with high end Shimano components such as Ultegra though the sram-o-philes may scream otherwise.
But why limit yourself to just these two bikes. There many many many bikes in this category that are equally as good if not better.
How do you ride? Do you want to race crits? Fast paced group rides? Long slow all day cruise-a-thons?
The Cervelo and the Ridley are both more aggressive and race oriented frames, and that may not be what you are after if this is your first road bike purchase in a long time.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
competitive cyclist carries both of those brands. you can demo one and the fee will go towards whichever bike you pick. they have great cust service, i demoed a BMC recently and had a good experience. however, if it were me i'd get the cervelo and fit it with campy record (cheaper now cuz 2009 is about out).

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've owned both and only own one now, the Soloist rides like a brick house compared to the Ridley. It's carbon vs. aluminum, you cant compare the two really. The Aluminum Soloist is a pure race bike, it has little to no comfort, its stiff as a mthr and you feel every pebble going throughout the entire bike, I think it sucks and sold it

I ride the Ridley just about everyday, its one of the better values on the market Ridely has a much more relaxed geometry as well, monster head tubes

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I don't have any experience with the Soloist, but I've put about 4K miles on my Ridley Excalibur in the last 9 months. It's my all-purpose bike. I commute with it, group rides, and race crits on it. I've even done a few tri's with it. It's comfortable, stiff enough and is a beautiful frame.

that said, I would like a soloist for Tri's and TT's.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
HBPUNK said:
I've owned both and only own one now, the Soloist rides like a brick house compared to the Ridley. It's carbon vs. aluminum, you cant compare the two really. The Aluminum Soloist is a pure race bike, it has little to no comfort, its stiff as a mthr and you feel every pebble going throughout the entire bike, I think it sucks and sold it

I ride the Ridley just about everyday, its one of the better values on the market Ridely has a much more relaxed geometry as well, monster head tubes
http://www.ridley-bikes.com/2008/Geometry/Noah-Helium-Damocles-Excalibur-Heracles-Boreas-Eos.pdf

http://www.cervelo.com/bikes.aspx?bike=SLT2008#G

Tell me again how the Ridley is more relaxed...:confused: , since it actually has a steeper head angle...
The bikes are virtually identical in a (M) / 56cm size...

·
Cpark
2,106 Posts
The fit would be more important than anything.

I looked at the geometry chart backinthesaddle provided and they are very similar in sizing.
One thing stands out for me is the head tube length.
It appears that the Ridley will have more upright position since it has longer head tube or Cervelo's head tube might be too short for you.

I'd test ride both but the Ridley appears to be a better buy at least on paper....

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
cpark said:
The fit would be more important than anything.

I looked at the geometry chart backinthesaddle provided and they are very similar in sizing.
One thing stands out for me is the head tube length.
It appears that the Ridley will have more upright position since it has longer head tube or Cervelo's head tube might be too short for you.

I'd test ride both but the Ridley appears to be a better buy at least on paper....
The length of the headtube is pretty immaterial. You can make any bike upright with spacers and stems. The geo of the bike doesn't change.
Longer headtube & no spacers vs. short headtube and spacers/upright stem is the same animal with different spots.

·
Cpark
2,106 Posts
backinthesaddle said:
The length of the headtube is pretty immaterial. You can make any bike upright with spacers and stems. The geo of the bike doesn't change.
Longer headtube & no spacers vs. short headtube and spacers/upright stem is the same animal with different spots.
I'm fully aware of that.
My point is if someone needs short head tube, Cervelo may fit him/her better.
There are not many but there are some of us find that a lot of head tubes to be too long.
For me the Ridley 's long head tube is a deal breaker.

·
Registered
311 Posts
backinthesaddle, I've OWNED both, unlike you. The geometry isnt nearly indentical, the monster head tube on the Ridley make it much more relaxed, it has everything to do with a more relaxed ride as well as the Cervelo truck being made of Aluminum.

the Ridley absorbs the road very well, the Cervelo does not, period

·
Registered
87 Posts
Get a felt F3! the 09 will have sram red i have heard.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
HBPUNK said:
backinthesaddle, I've OWNED both, unlike you. The geometry isnt nearly indentical, the monster head tube on the Ridley make it much more relaxed, it has everything to do with a more relaxed ride as well as the Cervelo truck being made of Aluminum.

the Ridley absorbs the road very well, the Cervelo does not, period
Before you go and get your manties in a twist, please take the time to actually look at the geometries of both bikes. I used the medium Ridley and the 56cm Cervelo as examples simply because that's an average size.
The geometries of the two frames are, in fact, virtually identical, with the only real difference being the headtube length. Like I said in an earlier post, you can get your hands in the same position on either bike. It's just two different ways to get there. Tall headtube vs. short headtube and spacers/upright stem.
I set up a guy on a C'dale CAAD9 alu bike and used his measurements from his 05 Salsa Campeon. The Campeon has a monster HT. All that was needed to get his hands in the same position on the C'dale was 25mm of spacers and a 90 degree stem.
The size of the headtube doesn't affect the HTA or the STA...
The real difference is the material and perception...:thumbsup:
You cannot say a bike is more relaxed simply because it absorbs the road better. You may be more relaxed for this reason, but the bike still measures out the same...

·
Registered
889 Posts
I just purchased my first bike in years and I cant imagine why anyone would buy an aluminum bike now. They ride harsh and carbon bikes are lighter and the ride is so much better. Buy a cervelo RS instead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.