Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
35mph Average
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks i'm about to buy either a 2007 cervelo soloist frameset with a years racing on it or a new trek madone 2008 5.2 frameset , has anybody got an opinion as to what would be the best frame , i'm an amature road racer and would like some information to help me make up my mind on my purchase , thanks john.:)

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,383 Posts
john kermode said:
hi folks i'm about to buy either a 2007 cervelo soloist frameset with a years racing on it or a new trek madone 2008 5.2 frameset , has anybody got an opinion as to what would be the best frame , i'm an amature road racer and would like some information to help me make up my mind on my purchase , thanks john.:)
If they both fit you personally I'd go with the TREK. It's new, it's nice and it has TREK's warranty behind it, one of the best in the biz. Also, if you're a racer you really shouldn't care what the poseur bike snobs think, your bike is a tool and the TREK is the better (newer) tool for the job.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
As much as everybody hates trek, the new Trek Madone platform is an amazing bike and only fools will say that it is not a great bike.
Never buy anything thats been used for racing, racing puts a lot of wear on the bike. On that note never buy bikes from rental or demo fleets either.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey,

I just picked up my new Madone 5.2 last week, I cannot speak against the Cervelo but I really like my new Madone. I have the performance fit version of the bike and have really been enjoying the bike this last week. My other bike was a base model Roubaix which I really liked but this bike is just responsive and fast. I have put 140 miles on it this week and so I am a little sore but I feel so much better when I ride from when I first started riding it and the ride that I took this morning.

If you get the compact you can put the Sram 1070 rear cassette that has a 28 tooth big gear so you get the same gearing as a triple. I did this since I moved from a triple to the compact gearing.

All in all I am glad that I got the Trek, the technology in this new bike is on the forefront from what I have read in a lot of threads and articles on the internet. My bike new with no cages etc.. so just what you would buy from the dealer with the test ride pedals on it (plastic platforms) weighed 16.1 lbs.

Later Dennis

·
Registered
239 Posts
Dolamite said:
+1 .I would buy the Trek (awsome ride)!

I treat my bike with the utmost care. Last thing I want to do is spend all that time training and then DNF due to a mechanical.

As long as the Cervelo has no obvious defects, like a crack caused by a wreck, you should be fine. Raced or not.

·
35mph Average
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi folks i think i'm gona go with the cervelo soloist , i seem to struggle on the flats but am good on the hills and in end of race sprints, so hopefully the soloist will help me on the flats .

·
Registered
56 Posts
The soloist may have the aero frame but how often will you be riding into a head wind have you thought about side winds as well? The madone is an awsome bike and theres no better feeling than getting a brand new bike straight from the shop. For me its a no brainer go trek

·
Registered
281 Posts
The Soloist is very aerodynamic, whereas the new Madone is not. Although the Madone has a big & wide bottom bracket and a massive headtube & fork. But everyone has Treks in the U.S., Cervelo is a lot smaller than Trek. The kicker is no warranty on either frame, unless you're a gear masher or weigh over 220 pounds.

If you buy the Soloist, get some decent aero wheels. I know they weigh a lot, but they would go great with your frame. Although aero rims need to be over 40mm to make a difference (trying to buy tubes with 60mm or more is a pain) in the wind tunnel. You might get a time trial helmet - it's more efficient than aero wheels, and doesn't cost as much.

But aero rims don't need as many spokes as regular rims.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
If anyone really thinks that the soloist will make you soar on the the flats if you are originally struggling on another bike then they gotta be really kidding.

It helps by a minute fraction but definitely not enough to help you win a race vs another guy (very similar strengths) on a different bike.

Also in this case, a brand new bike would be better than a used, raced bike

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Cervelo's brilliant marketing makes people think that Cervelo bikes will pedal themselves up hills and make you rocket around on the flats all while their aerodynamic tubing magically makes a pleasant pine scent as air passes around it to make your day better.
Cervelo makes good bikes, thats not an issue that is up for discussion but I am amazed at how many people buy their marketing. A bike or equipment won't make you any faster but companies continue to spew that having aero tubing, deep section wheels, ungodly stiff cranksets and ceramic bearings will turn your average Joe weekend warrior into a GC contender at a protour. Sure such items make a small difference, but if you, the motor of the bike isn't fast then you won't be fast with fancy doodads.

·
Registered
143 Posts
+1:thumbsup:

I'm a clydesdale not a racer, but I would have to agree.

Rubber Lizard said:
Cervelo's brilliant marketing makes people think that Cervelo bikes will pedal themselves up hills and make you rocket around on the flats all while their aerodynamic tubing magically makes a pleasant pine scent as air passes around it to make your day better.
Cervelo makes good bikes, thats not an issue that is up for discussion but I am amazed at how many people buy their marketing. A bike or equipment won't make you any faster but companies continue to spew that having aero tubing, deep section wheels, ungodly stiff cranksets and ceramic bearings will turn your average Joe weekend warrior into a GC contender at a protour. Sure such items make a small difference, but if you, the motor of the bike isn't fast then you won't be fast with fancy doodads.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
uzziefly said:
It helps by a minute fraction but definitely not enough to help you win a race vs another guy (very similar strengths) on a different bike.
The data say otherwise. The soloist is worth about 1 minute per hour against a good but not great aero bike. You can run the different scenarios for yourself, but that would lead to a significant advantage in 200 m sprint (where a cm is enough to make the difference between first and second) or in a long breakaway where the energy saved could easily overcome a stronger rider. Of course, if you have data or results to show otherwise, I'd like to see them.

I've never seen any marketing that says equipment will turn an average rider into a superstar. I have seen plenty of data showing what advantage equipment can give so that any interested consumer can make an informed, educated decision about the benefits and costs. To dismiss the real, proven advantages that proper equipment can provide is to foolishly discard a potential advantage over the competition.

·
35mph Average
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks folks in fact i changed my mind and bought the trek madone 2008 5.2 pro fit today, so hopefully i will get it built up before this weekend as my club hosts a two day stage race .

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
dhtucker4 said:
The Soloist is very aerodynamic, whereas the new Madone is not. Although the Madone has a big & wide bottom bracket and a massive headtube & fork. But everyone has Treks in the U.S., Cervelo is a lot smaller than Trek. The kicker is no warranty on either frame, unless you're a gear masher or weigh over 220 pounds.

If you buy the Soloist, get some decent aero wheels. I know they weigh a lot, but they would go great with your frame. Although aero rims need to be over 40mm to make a difference (trying to buy tubes with 60mm or more is a pain) in the wind tunnel. You might get a time trial helmet - it's more efficient than aero wheels, and doesn't cost as much.

But aero rims don't need as many spokes as regular rims.
EDIT: you know I just deleted my comments. While dangerous, I am just going to assume you were not in the best of places when you posted. :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.