Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a new aluminum bike. I posted a few weeks ago for thoughts and got some good ones. i am currently riding an old beat up trek 1200 with tiagra components that i want to upgrade.

i was offered a 2008 soloist at a good price. i am test riding it this weekend. As i said in the earlier post, i am 41 and plan to ride this bike for the next 5 years. i do a few tris every summer, and dont ride crits but occassionally ride with people who do.

my concern is that the soloist is set up for a strong young racer and that it will grow more uncomforatble as i cross over 45. Should i go be looking at a cannondale synapse or a specialize robaix.

·
Atom B
202 Posts
aloys said:
Should i go be looking at a cannondale synapse or a specialize robaix.
It really depends on your level of fitness. My brother is your age and has a Soloist. It's his everyday bike. He also uses it for triathalons and centuries. He loves it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your concerns?

Why wouldn't it be okay when you get older? I've got one and love it. I had a carbon before I got the soloist, but it honestly seems as forgiving, yet a better climber than what I was using.

I've done some tri's on mine, but mainly ride road without the aero bars now adays.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gh1 said:
If you are concerned with comfort, why are you limiting yourself to aluminum bikes?
Cost. Mostly cost, but i also keep hearing that a $2000 carbon bike uses inferior carbon.

Also durability. I have a tendency to throw my bike in the back seat of a car or truck or just leave it on its side in a garage and i dont want to be dainty.

·
Registered
313 Posts
aloys said:
Cost. Mostly cost, but i also keep hearing that a $2000 carbon bike uses inferior carbon.

Also durability. I have a tendency to throw my bike in the back seat of a car or truck or just leave it on its side in a garage and i dont want to be dainty.
AHHHH! Don't disrespect the Soloist this way!

·
Cat 6 rider
3,090 Posts
I'm older than you. I've got a Soloist Team (aluminum). With a gel saddle and 25c tires it's a comfortable ride and goes like it's got rockets.

·
Registered
755 Posts
aloys said:

Ride one before you decide.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
The reality about bike comfort is this: if the bike fits properly, it will be comfortable regardless of what material the bike is made from. Tire pressure will make more difference for overall comfort than frame material.

It's really as simple as that.

·
jaydub_u
249 Posts
Wookiebiker said:
The reality about bike comfort is this: if the bike fits properly, it will be comfortable regardless of what material the bike is made from. Tire pressure will make more difference for overall comfort than frame material.

It's really as simple as that.
This goes right along with the discussion I had to day and a LBS today. I am looking at getting a soloist as well. I currently ride a synapse 6 and I want to upgrade. I am 51 years young, 6ft tall amd 240lbs. They seem very confident that they can fit the S1 to me where I will be as comfortable as on my synapse. And it is not the only bike as I am also going to try the Felt z35 and scott cr1 as well. so I am pretty confident that what they said is true. Cant wait till Wed. to try these ponies out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts