Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My prior bikes, one steel the other aluminum don't seem to attract much road dust/grime on my usual routes. After the ride, I wipe them down with a damp cloth and it's not that dirty.

So a couple weeks back I bought this CF bike...well, when I get back the thing is like a magnet for dust and grime. It is covered with it, almost like having a black car. :confused:
It's like it has a static charge to attract dirt?? One 35 mile loop and it was like doing 70-100 miles on the other bikes in terms of road grime.

Am I :crazy: :eek:ut:?

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Honestly, I have two Colnagos made exactly the same except for the materials used in the frame. Both have the same geometry, but one is completely carbon fiber and the other has an aluminum front triangle. I haven't noticed any difference between the two as far as picking up road grime. Heck, I haven't noticed a big difference between the two period.

Maybe the dust particles on that particular day were eletrically charged for some reason. Give it some more time and see what you find.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
You're not crazy, on our planet CF bikes set up an inverse tachyon field which attracts particles like mad. The field strength is directly proportional to your average speed.

You have a couple of options. First, you can mount an ion flux generator on the seatpost and that should create enough of a field to counteract the tachyon cascade. Not an ideal solution if you live in a place where thunderstorms are common.

Or, you can just ride backwards for an equivalent amount which will de-polarize the field and cause the frame to shed the particles.

It might just be easier to keep the bike indoors.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,341 Posts
terry b said:
You're not crazy, on our planet CF bikes set up an inverse tachyon field which attracts particles like mad. The field strength is directly proportional to your average speed.

You have a couple of options. First, you can mount an ion flux generator on the seatpost and that should create enough of a field to counteract the tachyon cascade. Not an ideal solution if you live in a place where thunderstorms are common.

Or, you can just ride backwards for an equivalent amount which will de-polarize the field and cause the frame to shed the particles.

Calm down terry, this isn't the Heat melts my CF thread :cool:

·
Humanity...or....Vanity?
406 Posts
terry b said:

This is useless without pics.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
This thread was good for an early morning laugh before getting on the bike in what is supposed to be 95 degree weather.

·
Humanity...or....Vanity?
406 Posts
Make sure your dryer vent is clear or a fire may start. But if you ride fast enough the wind should put out the fire.

After a fire the dirt will be a thing of the past.

·
Registered
219 Posts
wim said:
Stuff a sheet of Bounce® into the seat tube. Replace every 100 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. :D

True. The motion of carbon fabric across the pavement creates static
electricity. The static charge makes dust and other particles stick to your bike.
You need something to counter that negative charge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.