Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
TAPTAP..Is this thing on?
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had most likely the worst wreck of my life last fall near the end of the season (at least for the Buffalo area) that resulted in the following damage, and an inability to walk correctly for about a month. I rode maybe 2 other times after I healed, but both rides were cut short on mechanicals that I missed when I got everything going again (two flats and a rear dearailleur issue). I spent the winter here and there messing around and thought I was good to go. Today is supposed to be nice so I cleaned the bike and noticed this damage. What does the collective braintrust here recommend?

Thanks.

Skin Joint Human leg Tan Beige Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle frame Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
And get a cool tattoo :D

·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm still in a bit of awe that I somehow missed that before when I gave the bike a once (and thrice) over. It was honestly pretty filthy, but that is no excuse for missing that type of damage...

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Very hard to tell from the picture, but given the location and very localized nature of the blemish, my money is on this being superficial.

But, as always, don't trust any internet diagnoses. Get an opinion from a professional who can look at the bike first-hand. In this case it should also be possible to lower a mirror into the seatpost and check out the inside. Not a guarantee of anything if the inside looks good, but if there's visible damage on the inside, then it's a "no ride" for sure.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I agree with Pirx. That pretty carbon weave you see is cosmetic. The real structure is under that. Having it inspected at a bike shop is not a bad idea. In addition to a flashlight inspection, you might be able to reach that area with your finger to feel for any cracks/damage.

If it does require a Calfee fix ask them if they can do a nude carbon weave look and what that costs vs painting.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I'm still in a bit of awe that I somehow missed that before when I gave the bike a once (and thrice) over. It was honestly pretty filthy, but that is no excuse for missing that type of damage...
Get is inspected ASAP, better late than never. Looks superficial to me but there is no reason to risk it.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Without knowing the details of the crash or being able to see it in person it's hard to say, but do you really want to risk more time off the bike if/when it breaks? Get it inspected and don't ride it until you do.

·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'll take it somewhere local, my wife had me convinced that I needed a new frame right away, and I'd rather not spend that kind of money unless it is warranted. I know right, what guy in his right mind shuts down a wife's new cycling purchase green light lol...

·
Registered
424 Posts
That looks far from cosmetic to me. Looks like an impact crush clean through carbon fibre. That pretty carbon weave is not for looks, that is the carbon fibre that frame is made of. Get it looked at, Calfree is place to get it fixed.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
That pretty carbon weave is not for looks, that is the carbon fibre that frame is made of.
No, it's not. The top layer is cosmetic. But, like I said, getting it inspected by someone who knows what they're doing is a good idea.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I learned a hard lesson about this. Don't trust the local bike shop people to make this judgment. You are potentially trusting them with your life/livelihood. They probably don't possess the skill or experience to properly assess hidden damage. If the break out a coin and start tapping, pck your stuff and go elsewhere.

My suggestion is either to replace the frame, or send it to a reputable repair firm like Calfee. Calfee has equipment that can assess the entire frame for hidden damage, then make a professional repair.

I just had to do this, and they found a hidden crack in my rear seat stay (the only visible damage was on the top tube).

Their costs are reasonable for assessment and basic repair. Full finish restoration starts getting pricey though. They also have a 10 year warranty (longer than your original frame).

My suggestion is to either replace the frame (perhaps though a crash replacmemnt program) or get it professionally repaired by a reputable company.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
If you're in Colorado, Broken Carbon in Boulder has a pretty good rep too.

·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, the frame is toast...I must be dense lol, it never occurred to me to pull the saddle off and inspect the inside. Anyways, the damage goes all the way through, to make matters worse it looks like there is a crack that extends down the tube maybe 4 inches or so. Being that it was a Chinese open mold frame, I'm not spending a minimum of $300 plus shipping to have Calfee do it when I could just get another one for a bit more.

The search begins...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts