Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· done
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking, daydreaming really, about next year's bike purchase.

Does anyone know of any fixed/SS specific carbon fiber road-specific frames? The only one I can think of is Aegis, but I have no clue if they're going to be in business much longer.

I figure my only other option is a regular road frame + a White Industries eccentric hub. I'm not terribly keen on that since I'd be locked into WI's proprietary cog system, not to mention I have a set of DA hubs waiting to be used.

While I'd like to spoil myself a little with this bike, I don't think I'm going to be able to afford to go custom if I still want CF.

On the other hand, maybe my expectations of CF frame pricing aren't realistic.

Thanks.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
I figure my only other option is a regular road frame + a White Industries eccentric hub. I'm not terribly keen on that since I'd be locked into WI's proprietary cog system, not to mention I have a set of DA hubs waiting to be used.
I don't have any frame suggestions, but the Eno hub isn't the only option for going fixed with vertical dropouts. Since half-links have become available it's very often possible to get good chain tension by a little judicious gear selection. Chain tension isn't a precise requirement -- with a good chainline there's a little range of acceptable tension. Since a half-link changes wheel position by about a quarter-inch, you can get pretty close.

So you could look for a deal on a regular road frame and try to make it work. The worst that happens is you have to get the White hub eventually.

· done
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FatTireFred said:
trek district carbon
I'd really like the District Carbon if it weren't for the funky drop outs (I'd prefer just plain 'ol track ends) and the fact that I'd have to get a new rear wheel to run fixed. The only people I know of making a fixed belt cog is Phil Wood which I (perhaps mistakenly) believe only works with a hub they make, so even more $$$$ (because, of course, I'd have to get a matching front).

Then again, the only other option I can find is Calfee. A Luna all souped-up how I want would be $2,900 frame/fork alone. Yikes.

· done
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JCavilia said:
I don't have any frame suggestions, but the Eno hub isn't the only option for going fixed with vertical dropouts. Since half-links have become available it's very often possible to get good chain tension by a little judicious gear selection. Chain tension isn't a precise requirement -- with a good chainline there's a little range of acceptable tension. Since a half-link changes wheel position by about a quarter-inch, you can get pretty close.

So you could look for a deal on a regular road frame and try to make it work. The worst that happens is you have to get the White hub eventually.
Yeah, I had thought of the half link or magic ratio approach. I'll keep it in mind. Only problem is that I do like to change gear ratios depending on wind or route, usually swapping between an 18 and 20T cog.

Not that it really matters, this is still a daydream at this point.

If I find anything else, I'll post it here.

· No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
???

Love Commander said:
"a fixed belt cog"
What's that?

The ENO has a version that runs a regular cog and lockring. I have one, but I'm just not very happy with the way it works.

· No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
Love Commander said:
Scroll down a bit.

What don't you like about the ENO?
I started running one back in 2004, but gave up because I found it very difficult to get chain tension right. When I add tension, it forces the axle down in the drop out. Could never seem to get it right.

· No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
Love Commander said:
Thinking, daydreaming really, about next year's bike purchase.

Does anyone know of any fixed/SS specific carbon fiber road-specific frames? The only one I can think of is Aegis, but I have no clue if they're going to be in business much longer.

While I'd like to spoil myself a little with this bike, I don't think I'm going to be able to afford to go custom if I still want CF.

On the other hand, maybe my expectations of CF frame pricing aren't realistic.

Thanks.
Cervelo P2C?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.