Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a bump absorbing benefit to one? Or any benefit at all?

If not I'll swap to an aluminum one so I can safely clamp it in my work stand. And when adjusting the saddle height, won't have to worry about crushing it with the seatpost collar.

The rest of the bike is carbon. I'd like an opinion before I spend $20.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
A $20 carbon seatpost is a rarity, not sure how you found one so cheap.
IMO, no, it provides no benefit. Maybe it's lighter, but it's less durable.
I run a lot of setback, and that added leverage is enough to crack them.
Save the $20.
 

·
la dolce vita
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
I have two of them. They are more durable than people think, Both of mine are several years old and are holding up well, but aside from the look, I would find it hard to tell the difference from aluminium. I can't say I notice any ride quality difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
I just bought a very nice carbon seat-post for $60. from Western bike works, the pro XCR. It's a really nice piece but as another Clydesdale I hope it doesn't break : (
I've snapped 2 Ti railed saddles before but never heard of breaking CF seat-posts!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, I didn't clarify. I have a CF one.
The $20 would be for an aluminum replacement.
Think I'll go for it.
 

·
wasssabi
Joined
·
2,081 Posts
It absolutely DOES make a difference, with the right one. By right one I mean a full cf post like a Ritchey one bolt or the FSA K force, not one of those with a cf tube with an aluminum head on top. A full cf post espesially one with some set back will flex over bumps like a shock absorber. It will also deaden some of the road buzz compared to an
aluminum post. Like a cf frame compared to an aluminume frame.
If you watched the tour you may have noticed camera angles on the road where you could clearly see someones seat post flexing over bumps. I can grab my saddle with both hands and push and pull and see my post flexing significantly.
My Caad 9 came with an all aluminum post and on my first ride I was a little worried about how it felt a bit harsh. Put the Ritchey post in and what a diff. I use minimalist saddles like the SLR and the Toupe so I can feel a definate improvement.
When people say there is no diff they must either have very padded saddles (or butts), are on the wrong post or are just not very in tune with their bike.
By the way, I'm 190 lbs and have yet to have an issue with durability in the last 5 years
 

·
eminence grease
Joined
·
18,538 Posts
T K said:
When people say there is no diff they must either have very padded saddles (or butts), are on the wrong post or are just not very in tune with their bike.
Or they simply don't agree with you because their experience is different.

(BTW - I don't think they make a whit of difference and it's not for any of the reasons you've listed.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,263 Posts
terry b said:
Or they simply don't agree with you because their experience is different.

(BTW - I don't think they make a whit of difference and it's not for any of the reasons you've listed.)
This.

And I have never noticed seatposts flexing. What in the world?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
I have felt significant flex in seatposts, in particular with compact frames with lots of exposed post.I am 6 feet 2" 195 lbs and have replaced wiggly feeling aluminum posts with stiffer posts.I ride with a friend with a Spec. Roubaix and his carbon/Zertz insert post visibly flexes when following him(a 210 lb.rider).I dislike that wiggly feel, especially lateral sway of the post.This flexing may not be noticed by lighter riders.
 

·
wasssabi
Joined
·
2,081 Posts
terry b said:
Or they simply don't agree with you because their experience is different.

(BTW - I don't think they make a whit of difference and it's not for any of the reasons you've listed.)
So just because you can't tell the difference then it must not be true. Oh, Ok.:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,390 Posts
As a Clydesdale I have snapped one carbon post and found a crack in another. Both were full carbon posts; FSA K-Force and Ritchey WCS. The K-Force surprised me because I was just finishing a ride and hit a speed bump just as I was arriving at my van, I lifted off the seat a little and when I hit the speed bump, My seat hit me and I heard it. I looked down and braked. My saddle hit my rear wheel then went to the ground. The Ritchey was interesting because I happen to find the crack while cleaning my bike one day. At 215 lbs, I'm a Clyde but not super heavy. Both seatposts did show some signs before anything occured. They would creak when I climbed in the saddle. A riding buddy of mine told me that he could actually see the K-Force flexing one time when we were climbing. That was about two months before the failure occured. I've had problems with snapping spokes on low spoke count wheels before but seatposts? Those were new to me. Well, my Thompson Elite aluminum post has been trouble-free. Ride difference? I didn't believe it at first but I could tell the difference between a full carbon and an aluminum post. I only went carbon in the first place because I received the K-Force as a birthday present. I felt the difference. It wasn't a lot but it was noticeable. I guess it does depend on the type of carbon post.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
758 Posts
T K said:
It absolutely DOES make a difference, with the right one. By right one I mean a full cf post like a Ritchey one bolt or the FSA K force, not one of those with a cf tube with an aluminum head on top. A full cf post espesially one with some set back will flex over bumps like a shock absorber. It will also deaden some of the road buzz compared to an
aluminum post. Like a cf frame compared to an aluminume frame.
If you watched the tour you may have noticed camera angles on the road where you could clearly see someones seat post flexing over bumps. I can grab my saddle with both hands and push and pull and see my post flexing significantly.
My Caad 9 came with an all aluminum post and on my first ride I was a little worried about how it felt a bit harsh. Put the Ritchey post in and what a diff. I use minimalist saddles like the SLR and the Toupe so I can feel a definate improvement.
When people say there is no diff they must either have very padded saddles (or butts), are on the wrong post or are just not very in tune with their bike.
By the way, I'm 190 lbs and have yet to have an issue with durability in the last 5 years
You sure give carbon fiber seat posts the benefit of the doubt.
 

·
eminence grease
Joined
·
18,538 Posts
T K said:
So just because you can't tell the difference then it must not be true. Oh, Ok.:rolleyes:
Seems to me that we're using the same logical approach - "it DOES make a difference because I said so and if you don't know it you're on the wrong post, fat or whatever."

Tell you what - attach an accelerometer to your carbon post and take 1000 hours of measurements across a variety of frequencies. Then try to figure out how to prove that cyclists are sensitive to those frequencies. All cyclists, because that's pretty much the broad brush you're painting with.

Then repeat the experiment on your aluminum post and post the data here. We'll review it and if it's convincing we'll allow that you're right and we're not.

For clarity's sake, I'm not reacting to your supposition, I'm 100% in agreement that you honestly believe that there is a difference. I merely pointing out that there are many people who think differently, and it's not for any of the silly reasons you listed. It's because they honestly believe that there is no difference. Just like you.
 

·
eminence grease
Joined
·
18,538 Posts
T K said:
So by your logic, there should be no difference in ride between a cf frame and an aluminum one?

Well designed and built frames can be made to ride any way you want them to ride regardless of what they're made of. Material is just one component.

And because of that, there are occasionally huge differences. I have an aluminum frame that rides much more nicely than one of my carbon frames. And a steel frame that rides better than both and a carbon frame that rides slightly less well than the steel but better than the aluminum and much better than its nasty CF cousin.


Go figure. :idea:
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top