Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy all

have a stupid question for you (which i posted on the Giant Forum, but then realized that here may be the place to check)

i want to swap a Flite for the stock Aliante that came with my TCR Comp0, but the clamp is stuck pretty tight, so i can't tilt the nut. i got the bike in january, and i recall the fitter using a rubber mallet to loosen the post bolt on the bike i was fitted on (same bike but they swapped saddles/post due to color).

my question - how does one go about using a rubber mallet on a carbon post without damaging it to loosen the clamp? tap it while it's in the frame? take it out and tap it???

i've never been an expert wrench, but the CF world is new to me, and i'm paranoid of damaging the post.

tia

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
All you are trying to do is loosen the clamp to swap saddles? You really shouldn't use a mallet- and the shop guy is an idiot for tightening it that way. Take it back to the same shop, explain what a moreon the guy was, and have them loosen it for free.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I can loosen the saddle clamp, and can adjust fore/aft positions of the saddle, but i can't get the saddle cradle loose.

the problem is that the aliante rails are more or less parallel with the top of the saddle, and the rails on the flite are not, so i need to adjust the angle of the clamp, which is set into the post. that's the part that's stuck.

i put the flite on, but the nose is dipping nose-down big time

filtersweep said:
All you are trying to do is loosen the clamp to swap saddles? You really shouldn't use a mallet- and the shop guy is an idiot for tightening it that way. Take it back to the same shop, explain what a moreon the guy was, and have them loosen it for free.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
It sounds like it isn't the bolt that is stuck, but rather the cradle. I doubt it would be a problem to give it a little encouragement,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts