Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the sport and I've been training for a Tri. This is my 3rd week with my new Specialized Allez (White one much sexier than the black:) ). I love the bike. Unfortunately I've been having some issues with chaffing between my legs. Only on my right thigh. Basically where my thigh meets the pelvis/balls area (sorry didn't know how to say it nicely). I'm using the stock seat (I've had no sit bone issues with it) and after about 8-10 miles I start to feel a little heat between my legs and around 12 miles it starts to become uncomfortable.

I'm planning on upgrading the seat but I'm not at home (North of Chicago) where there are several good bike shops and I haven't really liked the two in Champaign where I got to school, kinda feel like they have no clue what they're talking about or just don't care because I'm just another college kid in a college town.

I'm using an odd set up for the shorts and this might be where the problem is coming from. I'm using a pair of Pearl Izumi 3d race liners (picked them up about 2 years ago basically new) with an Under Armour compression short over the top. The 1st time I used this set up was 2 rides ago and it was perfect no chaffing really comfortable.

Today I went on a 17 mile ride and was really uncomfortable. It was about 85 and very humid outside and I was quite warm and sweating. I was also experimenting with moving my seat back a little bit and found that to be uncomfortable so 1/2 way through the ride I adjusted it forward and that fixed that problem and it seemed like the rubbing got better 2.

Sorry for the really long post but I'm just looking for some advice. I love cycling and I just want to get everything right comfort wise :( .

Thanks in advance to everyone,
Aleks

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think the shorts could be the problem. The 2 pairs of shorts are bunching up in the groin/leg area, taking up all the space and rubbing your leg raw.

Go to an LBS and get some good shorts and pick up some chamios cream whilst you are there.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Im going to agree.... but also provide a couple of things to check.

Number one... COMPRESSION SHORTS? Not the same thing as cycling shorts. Invest in a decent pair of shorts and you will not be sad. Go for a decent brand... think 70-80 bucks. Fantastic investment.

Number two... get Assos cream or Chamois Buddr, or something of that nature... apply it generously to your nethers prior to your ride. You wont be sorry.

Number three... get out of those shorts as soon as possible after the ride... all kinds of nasty elements can breed in there... especially if you dont wash your shorts properly or at all. (Believe me there are some....)

Number four... make sure your seat is not a tiny crooked to that side. Ive seen people with very slight seat maladjustments have the same issue.

Number five... two layers... bad idea. Look up the infamous "do you wear underwear under your cycling shorts?" debate to see how nefarious this practice is. One word... don't. See Number one.

Good luck.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Just to add a couple that caused me trouble in the past:

Number 6, make sure your saddle isn't too high - you should be able to touch your heel to the pedal when you're in the saddle and the pedal is all the way down (6 o'clock position), without canting your hips. The result is a bend in the knee when you're pedalling - i.e. your leg is not completely straight on the downstroke. If the saddle is too high it can cause you to rock your hips, which can lead to chaffing.

Number 7, when you do get cycling specific shorts make sure they are tight enough. Loose leads to bunching and hot spots/saddle sores. When in doubt, err on the tight side - too tight is better than too loose.

Number 8, our bodies are not necessarily symmetrical. If one thigh is rubbing against the side of the saddle, try pointing the nose of the saddle slightly (very slightly) towards the same side where the rubbing is - this will move the back of the saddle slightly away from your thigh.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Sounds like you need some lube as others have already suggested. I've tried almost everything you can think of, but Vaseline or its generic equalivent is still my fave. I take a scoop out of the jar with my fingers and apply a generous amount to the (ahem) affected area. It lasts all day - very inexpensive.

·
jax_on1
15 Posts
Use a good quality bib or short ($75+) and apply chamois cream liberally. Don't layer shorts nor wear underwear with your shorts. If the problem persists and it is not due to the bike, buy another pair of bibs/shorts and apply cream liberally. Sometimes even an expensive pair of shorts will cause irritation. As soon as I have soreness from a pair of shorts I change to another pair.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.