Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Just wondering what you guy's do to prevent chafing rashes occurring while running.
I'm into multisport which involves cycling, running,kayaking so we wear cycling shorts.

I do use a chafing cream but it wears off after a few hours of running with all the running crossing.

Cheers Kramer

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
When in doubt...

Kramer7 said:
Hi
Just wondering what you guy's do to prevent chafing rashes occurring while running.
I'm into multisport which involves cycling, running,kayaking so we wear cycling shorts.

I do use a chafing cream but it wears off after a few hours of running with all the running crossing.

Cheers Kramer
When in doubt my friend, use your best friend called petroleum jelly, also known as, Vaseline. The stuff does not wear off, and will prevent chafe in the most nastiest (is that good English? Nah, I doubt it) of conditions. That's been about the best stuff that I could find out there, and the best thing about it. It's cheap. Really cheap.

·
Banned
349 Posts
With any sort of surface dermatitis I'm always suspicious of bacteria/molds/fungus. Unfortunately a lot of these goops, creams, salves combine with sweat and provide a swell place for organisms to grow. The result is "jock itch" -- which is the same fungus as althlete's foot, just in a different area. Bacteria in lakes, rivers, municipal pools, chemicals in pools or in lakes, rivers. If you're swimming, you're being exposed to potential rash creating organisms. Less so if you're just sweating.

It's essential that post exposure you wash thoroughly with soap, water, and rinse well. After the wash/rinse --- for me swimming in a municipal pool with chlorine -- I apply mineral oil to sensitive areas. (Baby oil with or without a scent, although I get a rash from perfumes.)

I'm allergic to all sorts of skin irritatants -- pool chlorine, fresh water/salt water organisms, salt water generally, fungus, bacteria, molds. Using soap and water, shower, scrub, rinse. Clean clothing, removing wet, sweaty clothing at first opportunity . . .

Vaseline is a pretty fair medium for growing stuff if you're not careful. Not so much in itself but just because it picks up sweat and organisms off the skin and sticks them in the fabric of what you're wearing. It's not water soluble and so it's difficult to wash out of clothing in a normal wash cycle. Bleach kills bacteria, but it's also hard on clothing. Somewhere there's a balance on the bleaching. Read the fabric label.

No magic bullet, but maybe some insight here into the science project you're growing on your skin and in your clothing.

·
Super Moderator
40,410 Posts
Kramer7 said:
Hi

Cheers Kramer
Some swears by Bag Balm, some by Desitin, and I'm sure there's probably some guys out there rendering down assorted fats to make "homebrew." I've had good luck with two of these, but they both smell godawful. Prevention is good, but one key thing, according to the dermatological set, is to get out of those smelly shorts and hose off as soon as you can, so the little microbes on your bod don't have a chance to establish subdivisions down under. Air and light, if you happen to have a nude beach nearby, are good for inhibiting fungal growth as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts