Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My chain broke yesterday while I was testing out my new build. It seemed to also be pulling pretty hard on my rear wheel. Think I need to add a few more links, or could it be something wrong with my chain tensioner?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Did something actually "break," or did it maybe come apart at the pin that you pressed in when installing the chain? What method did you use to size your chain? There are a couple of good ways to measure or calculate the number of links that you need.

If by "tensioner" you mean the rear derailleur, that is unlikely to be the cause in itself. It is more likely either a mis-measured chain or an incorrectly pressed-in link pin.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took one link out and so far so good. I also had to fix a link that was too small. I don't know if I had broken it or what, but it caused a kink in the chain every time it went through the rear derailer.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
adding links...

There's hardly any chain left on the market that can safely have links added if cut to short, the exception is a Campy chain but the new link and pins will cost aobut half as much as a new chain.

Removing links must also be done properly, with special pins for Shimano chains, or the use of a properly fitting quick link. Never reuse a pin that has been pushed out one side of the chain.

The big/big method plus 2 links (1 inch) is OK, but the better method is the longest possible length in the little/little combo.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
You need to take care of that tight link, it could cause considerable damage to the rear derailleur and even the frame if the link refuses to go through the derailleur smoothly.

You need to use the special pin for connecting the chain.

Al

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Not to be a smart ass, but it sounds like you need schooled on chain installation and troubleshooting. Chains will almost always have a stiff link when first re-assembled. I'd take it to your LBS and, after buying a new chain, ask them to show you how to properly install it, and how to free a stiff link.

·
Registered
577 Posts
jpick915 said:
OK, that link was not too small, it was tight. That can usually be fixed by bending the chain at that point laterally.

i just got on RBR because I just had a similar problem and you just solved it for me. :thumbsup: Thanks!

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Sounds like improper chain installation.
9 & 10 speed chains have to be put together perfectly, or they may "break" under high strain.

·
Larry Lackapants
698 Posts
Since you're not using the big/big or small/small combination (or are you?!) I don't think the chain should break, even if it's a link or 2 too short... I'd buy a new chain with a quick release link or, just buy the link, remove the pins inserted by you so far, and use the chain with the new quick release link.

·
Registered
327 Posts
ts103706 said:
So am I better off buying a new chain, or can I buy a couple of the special pins and replace the used pins that I foolishly put back into the chain after messing up on the sizing?
If you care about your crotch and maybe even your face you will just buy a new chain. Im using the SRAM chains now on my Shimano Ultegra 10 setup because I hate fooling with pins. The SRAM 10speed chain link is permanent but I dont ever remove my chain anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.