Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Use a rag and some chain oil. ;)

You can use some thin all purpose oil like WD40 instead, but then you have to wait for it to evaporate and thoroughly lube your chain with chain oil.

Don't forget to wipe of superfluous oil before you ride, this way less dirt will stick to the chain.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
No cleaner

swang169 said:
I saw this deal on pbk for this chain cleaner. Never had one before, usually just clean my chain with a rag. So my question is is a chain cleaner really better and is it worth the $8 investment? Also, it'd be great if anyone with this specific chain cleaner could comment/review.
No need for a chain cleaner. Assuming we're talking road riding, use the following technique for successful ProLink or homebrew lube (1 part motor oil to 3-4 parts odorless mineral spirits) application and use:

1 - wipe the chain, cogs, pulleys, and chainrings clean with a rag.
2 - drip on lube while pedaling slowly so that the chain just starts to drip lube. Aim the lube between the side plates and between the bushings and the side plates.
3 - keep pedaling the cranks for a minute or so to loosen all the dirt on the chain and to get full penetration of the lube.
4 - thoroughly wipe the chain, cogs, pulleys, and chainrings clean with a rag.
5 - repeat steps 2-4 if the chain was really dirty

Do this AFTER a ride, as you want to allow time for the solvent to evaporate before you head out on the road. If you do this every 300 miles or so (or when you get caught in the rain or other dirty conditions), you will not get any significant gunky buildup, and you won't have to clean the chain or the cassette. This leaves lube on the inside parts, and wipes it off the outside parts, minimizing dirt pickup.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I went the longest time cleaning with a rag and bristle brush. One day at the LBS, I decided to "splurge" and spent $20 on a Park chain cleaner.

It made cleaning the chain A LOT easier. In the past, I used to put off cleaning the chain because it was such a pain. Lots of rags, dirty hands, etc. The chain cleaner is a lot easier and more convenient than rags. I'm more inclined to clean the bike now.

The comment about having to clean the cleaner is true...that thing gets awfully dirty. You can do just as good a job without the tool, but it's less efficient.

If you can get one for $8, what's the harm in trying it out for yourself. I've been known to blow more than that on a single drink.

Ray

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I'm not sure how this cleans the chain.
Looks like you put that in the rear dropouts so you can take the back wheel/cassette off for cleaning. While they are drying you can crank your chain around but it still seems like you would use a rag.
You could probably use it as a spacer if you needed to pack your bike with the back wheel off.
I was going to buy this and the T handle wrenches on sale but the wrenches only came in two very small sizes so I passed on everything.

·
Eager Learner
233 Posts
I hate to say it, but I wanted one bad. I had never had a clean chain before (never had a road bike either really, and didn't know a chain was supposed to be clean, but rather, greased). Anyway, got a road bike, bought the Finish Line chain cleaner b/c I thought it was supposed to be the best. Used it once or twice. couldn't get that dang chain clean.

Looked for advice here, found it, and now have an AWESOME clean chain, thanks to Odorless Mineral Spirits. I won't go back!

·
eRacer
2,547 Posts
I think several of the Chain Machines are great, especially if your chain is really grimy. I prefer to wipe my chain after each ride and not let it get grimy. To clean it, I use a rag and WD-40. If you keep after your chain, a rag and your favorite solvent are probably all you need.

·
Vintage cyclist
1,005 Posts
I used to have one of those chain cleaners. Threw it away. It just made a messy job more messy. THEN, you have to clean the cleaner! Thanks, but no thanks!

I just wipe off as much grime as I can, then take some spray degreaser to it. I get it all cleaned up then liberally apply some ATB chain lube and wipe off the excess. Been doing it that way for a couple decades now...

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Not really

Like filtersweep, I just use mineral spirits. Take the chain off (Connex link) and put it in a glass tray, cover with mineral spirits, after about 12 hours I gently swirl the chain and lay it on its other side. Wipe it down with a couple of paper clothes and ready to lube. The mineral spirits are funneled back into the original container through a paper towel to get the larger parts of sediment out, the glass tray wiped clean and we're done. If the cassette needs cleaning, I remove it, put it on a splined holder (one comes with Campag cassetes, soak it and then scrub clean using a brush.

I've also used Muck off, putting the chain in a small, plastic mineral water bottle, shaking vigorously and soaking. Works fine as well although in my current location, Muck Off is hard to find.

·
Registered
185 Posts
i like using a chain cleaner, but am in the habit of using one because of the mountain bike.

however, no matter what you do to clean a chain, if you immeadately re-lube the chain after cleaning, you are wasting lube. like others mentioned, i like to clean the chain and let it sit a few hours and then lube later. this lets any cleaning product evaporate.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
TomBrooklyn said:
How is kerosene or paint thinner? They're less expensive than mineral spirits.
Paint thinner IS mineral spirits. Kerosene stinks but works. Odorless mineral spirits FTW.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,622 Posts
I do not use a chain cleaner because I don't have 3 arms. Every time I have tried one of these contraptions I felt lie I needed another rm to handle it. Now I just clean the chain on the bike every other week. A little citrus degreaser and a parts brush form the auto parts store do the trick. Rinse with water, spray with WD-40 to get rid of any water. Soak with Prolink and let sit over night. Wipe off excess oil in morning and good to go.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I just bought one of these "trigger" cleaners and it actually works pretty well. You just hold the trigger to clamp the housing over the chain, and spray while turning the crank. Scrubs, removes oil/dirt, dries fast....only takes a minute...then I lube with ProLink. Others mentioned it, but I'm not worried about cleaning the trigger/housing itself....

I think I'm going to just use ProLink and a rag to clean and lube most of the time, but maybe once a month I will use the trigger degreaser to do it more thoroughly. It certainly LOOKS cleaner after using it.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1030280_-1_1522501_20000_400042

It was on sale for $17.99 recently, not the $25.00 noted. The degreaser can by itself runs $10 anyway....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.