Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My problem is somewhat hard to explain. Today, I took my back tire off to do some cleaning and put it back on. I had my bike hooked up on my trainer and I noticed something strange. When I was spinning the pedals with my hand while dripping some oil on the chain, after stopping the spinning motion and letting go of the pedal, the chain continued to spin, but it kept pushing the pedals with it. Normally, when you are pedaling and you stop pedaling, the chain continues to spin but the pedals do not - this is how my bike has always operated. Also, when I pedal backwards, it seems like the chain gets caught and will bunch up. Anyone have any idea what this problem is?

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
Your freewheel is sticking. Lube it and all should be well.

As for the chain moving without the cranks doing so, I want to see the video! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just thinking about lubing down the freewheel. Ill try it.

The chain and cranks are moving. Its hard to explain.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
it's not the freewheel, unless your bike is really old. it's the 'freehub body'. it's the part of the hub the cassette cogs slide on to. i'm guessing you might have a mavic wheel. you need to remove the body and clean/lube the inner bushing. could also happen w/ other hubs, which probably means the bearings in the freehub are not so great.

·
Registered
387 Posts
mavic freehub bodies are notorious for getting stuck up. Something to do w/ the rubber O-ring to keep grime out. But yeah, it's a problem

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Side note.

DrSmile said:
As for the chain moving without the cranks doing so, I want to see the video! :)
Don't have a video, but it is possible with the Shimano FFS Front Freewheel System, which has the freewheeling mechanism in the bottom bracket. When coasting with the cranks stationary, the chain (and the chainwheels of course) would continue to move. It's been many years now since I've come across an FFS bike. :)

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
Wim, that was my first thought too, I JUST got rid of bike like that...."positron" I believe it was called. Other than being old and lower end, it was nice to be able to shift while coasting sometimes.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
Wim, that was my first thought too, I JUST got rid of bike like that...."positron" I believe it was called. Other than being old and lower end, it was nice to be able to shift while coasting sometimes.
Yes Touch, that 'shift-while-you-coast' was the whole idea of FFS. I remember many people liking that feature. The cogs were fixed, of course—early 'fixie!'

I think 'Positron' was actually Shimano's first attempt at indexed shifting, with the index shift notches built into the derailleur instead of the shift lever. All these ideas came about after Shimano realized that millions were to be made re-designing difficult-to-use professional racing components so that everyone could use them without going through a learning process.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
as a matter of fact I gave it to a friend that was building a fixie out of it (the frame was a bit too big for me although I did ride it for 15 years) All he had to do was throw a new bb and crankset on it and pull the dérailleurs off.

Looking back at it, the best thing about that bike was the fact that it was red.

·
Unsafe at Any Speed
456 Posts
Hey, it's been ages since I've seen the last of those front-freewheel things.

One question : just suppose the chain jumps the chainwheel and gets stuck?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
never happened to me but I guess it would lock up the whole drive train and throw you on the ground face first?

same as a fixed gear...lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts