Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I could use a little help here. I am resurrecting my old Fuji Berkely and need to replace the chain. I have a 7-speed freewheel that has 3/16" spacing (from cog to cog) and have Suntour Superb-Pro deraillers. What type or width size of chain would you recommend for a replacement?
Thanks!

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
I don't remember everything I used to know about chains, but any bike shop can fix you up. At some point in the five-six-seven-eight-nine-10 speed progression things started to get narrower, but I forget where it was. Probably anything marked "seven speed" will work.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Any chain for 6-7-8 speed. The dimensions are not critical. The cheap ones work as well as any.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Yes.

JCavilia said:
Any chain for 6-7-8 speed. The cheap ones work as well as any.
Any chain that fits up to an 8 speed is the old standard width. 9 speed is narrower., 10 speed narrower still.

SRAM makes a nickle plated chain used to be called PC-58, $15-25 at LBS, that is as strong and reliable as the more expensive ones.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yep - you would be best off getting a SRAM 8-spd*. chain. You might find 'em on sale for $10, or you might not, but you'll find one cheap enough. And the SRAM chains come with their excellent Power-Link, making installation and maintenance a breeze.

* 8-spd. means 8 and lower, so it should read 5, 6, 7, 8 -spd. Go figure.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Fredrico said:
Any chain that fits up to an 8 speed is the old standard width. 9 speed is narrower., 10 speed narrower still.

SRAM makes a nickle plated chain used to be called PC-58, $15-25 at LBS, that is as strong and reliable as the more expensive ones.
+1 on the PC-58. That's the one I couldn't think of in my first post. I have them on three bikes, and they work great. Last one I bought was about $16 at REI.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.