Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not while I'm riding...when I lay my bike down in the grass on a break.

Yesterday I rode with a brand new cyclist and we took lots of rest breaks and made several store stops. Every time I laid my bike down, the chain fell off! I haven't had any trouble while riding...in fact the shifting has been exceptionally good since the last derailler adjustment.

Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
lets_ride said:
Not while I'm riding...when I lay my bike down in the grass on a break.

Yesterday I rode with a brand new cyclist and we took lots of rest breaks and made several store stops. Every time I laid my bike down, the chain fell off! I haven't had any trouble while riding...in fact the shifting has been exceptionally good since the last derailler adjustment.

Any ideas or suggestions?
chain sounds too loose or your derailler spring is shot.

·
Registered
21,830 Posts
Simple answer

lets_ride said:
Not while I'm riding...when I lay my bike down in the grass on a break. Any ideas or suggestions?
Yeah, don't lay the bike donw in the grass. I'm guessing that if you did a controlled experiement (watch carefully what happens) the chain doesn't "just fall off" when you lay the bike down, but comes off when you back pedal the cranks as you pick the bike up (or as you're laying it down). IME, there's always a building, fence, tree, guard rail, fire hydrant, or something to prop the bike against, or even a curb where you can put your pedal down and use that as a prop.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
If you have to lay your bike down, rotate the cranks so the left pedal is at the top and lay it on the left side. That way only the left pedal, handlebar, and tires are touching the ground and the cranks won't turn. I do this when I can't find a good object to lean the bike against, and I have never had a chain come off as a result.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
ericm979 said:
If you have to lay your bike down, rotate the cranks so the left pedal is at the top and lay it on the left side. That way only the left pedal, handlebar, and tires are touching the ground and the cranks won't turn. I do this when I can't find a good object to lean the bike against, and I have never had a chain come off as a result.
I can't imagine having your chain come off on a properly set up bike even if you threw it to the ground.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.