Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
I have a spare chain thats the length for the 52/36. Could I use it with my 53/39? My rear derailleur is still being shipped so I couldnt test it out myself.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Maybe is the answer. (Well, the answer to OP question is yes. You can use a chain that may be the wrong size. But, it may not work and/or it may damage your bike).

Depends on whether there is a different chain stay length, whether there is a different cassette size, etc.

You could try it. In a repair stand, try to shift into big/big and ensure the chain is long enough to not damage anything/rip the derailleur off. Then shift into small/small and make sure the chain is short enough to not rub itself.

But, if you are getting a new derailleur (and sounds like new chainrings), why cheap out on using an old chain? Just replace it and size the new one properly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe is the answer. (Well, the answer to OP question is yes. You can use a chain that may be the wrong size. But, it may not work and/or it may damage your bike).

Depends on whether there is a different chain stay length, whether there is a different cassette size, etc.

You could try it. In a repair stand, try to shift into big/big and ensure the chain is long enough to not damage anything/rip the derailleur off. Then shift into small/small and make sure the chain is short enough to not rub itself.

But, if you are getting a new derailleur (and sounds like new chainrings), why cheap out on using an old chain? Just replace it and size the new one properly.
On my previous bike I was using an 11 25 and It will be the same with this one. I am reusing parts from another bike that I sold a while back. The only new stuff on my new bike is the crankset (53/39) and cassette

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
On my previous bike I was using an 11 25 and It will be the same with this one. I am reusing parts from another bike that I sold a while back. The only new stuff on my new bike is the crankset (53/39) and cassette
Answer is still maybe. You have to try it. But, if you are using a new cassette and new chain rings, there is a chance an old chain will not play nicely with the new parts and/or cause premature wear on the new parts. Seriously, spend the $ for a new chain. We are talking $20-$30.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Answer is still maybe. You have to try it. But, if you are using a new cassette and new chain rings, there is a chance an old chain will not play nicely with the new parts and/or cause premature wear on the new parts. Seriously, spend the $ for a new chain. We are talking $20-$30.
Yeah I guess your right.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
You chain should work fine as long as the derailleur arm was not maxed (forward) on the 52 and your biggest cog and assuming you are using the same cogs on the rear.

Hey guys
I have a spare chain thats the length for the 52/36. Could I use it with my 53/39? My rear derailleur is still being shipped so I couldnt test it out myself.

Thanks

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,418 Posts
Your question is like asking if your new car will fit your new garage, without us knowing what the dimensions of your garage actually are.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
The only way there is ANY risk whatsoever is if his current chain (on the 52 ring) is already absolutely at the maximum limit of the derailleur. Going up one tooth on the ring requires an additional 1/4 inch of chain. (Half inch pitch with only half the chain ring engaged by the chain).

You must be either very risk averse or you don't understand how this works.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
The only way there is ANY risk whatsoever is if his current chain (on the 52 ring) is already absolutely at the maximum limit of the derailleur. Going up one tooth on the ring requires an additional 1/4 inch of chain. (Half inch pitch with only half the chain ring engaged by the chain).

Your assessment of the difference between a 53 and 52 is spot on, however, from the OP's followup posts it appears he is building up a new bike. The other variable that could play into this is chainstay length.

We can all guess, but there is not enough information to answer with certainty.

The OP should size the chain on the new bike once it is built and go from there.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts

Bikes have different length chain stays. OP has not provided this info.

Possibly, you are the one who does not understand how this works.

But, thanks for your Internet bravado.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to everyone for replying to my thread! All the help is much appreciated. I am building a Ridley Excalibur and they said the cs's size is 405. I had a 2006 Felt b2 but I cant measure the size since I sold it already and I cant find it anywhere on the internet. I would assume it would be a 403-405 since it has the same chain length as my f75 (405 as well)

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Bikes have different length chain stays. OP has not provided this info.

Possibly, you are the one who does not understand how this works.
It appears you might be assuming that this is for two different bikes. The OP certainly did not say that. To me it appeared he has two different crank sets or maybe just two different chain ring sets. Of course if we are talking two different bikes then the situation could be radically different. The OP didn't say anything about different bikes but just talked about different tooth counts.

Saying I don't understand how it works because you assumed two different frames seems quite the stretch.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
It appears you might be assuming that this is for two different bikes. The OP certainly did not say that. To me it appeared he has two different crank sets or maybe just two different chain ring sets. Of course if we are talking two different bikes then the situation could be radically different. The OP didn't say anything about different bikes but just talked about different tooth counts.

Saying I don't understand how it works because you assumed two different frames seems quite the stretch.
You made assumptions that lacked factual basis.

My answer (maybe) accounted for the lack of facts in the OP.

Yet, somehow your answer based on assumptions were correct and my answer based on no assumptions was incorrect?

Whatever.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
You made assumptions that lacked factual basis.

My answer (maybe) accounted for the lack of facts in the OP.

Yet, somehow your answer based on assumptions were correct and my answer based on no assumptions was incorrect?

Whatever.
Really? You want to continue this? He asked about two different chain ring configurations. That's what I responded to. You assumed he might be asking about different bikes and implied I didn't know what I was talking about. Does that sum it up?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts