Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, guys, I just got my BB and cranks today. Sugino RD2 (48T)/Sugino BB (103mm) set up. Looks like the chain line was off when I had the chainring on the outside. Putting it on the inside, it has a better line, I think. But it does move the chainring closer to the chain stay. It maybe has ~3mm of clearance. Is this something to be concerned about? If so, what can I do?

Thanks.

All of the following shots are with the chainring on the inside...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. Thanks. I'll try to post a better pic. The front is a 48T and rear is 18T. I would like to run the ring on the outside, but oh well.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I was just curious as to whether the chainring clearance would be okay.

And the progress so far. Just waiting on the brake/lever and bartape from Nashbar. They sure do take a long long time shipping their products.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
palu said:
Oh, I was just curious as to whether the chainring clearance would be okay.

And the progress so far. Just waiting on the brake/lever and bartape from Nashbar. They sure do take a long long time shipping their products.

nice....worst case senario, you go to a smaller ring(more clearance) and a smaller cog for the same gear inches...But I really don't think you'll have issue with 3mm of clearance

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Dave Hickey.

I couldn't wait for the brakes to get here, so I went on its maiden voyage just an hour ago. I have ridden SS before, but not fixed. It was "different", but didn't feel awkward at all. The only part that I felt uncomfortable was when trying to come to a stop (you don't realize how much you depend on brakes!). I usually glide (or coast) in, but it was weird peddling every last inch. I kept it safe and just went around the neighborhood, which was fairly flat. Upon inspection, post-ride, there wasn't a mark on the chainstay, and I did pump up one bigger hill. Looks like the 3mm clearance is okay for now. Thanks all for the help.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Surly knows their chainline is off on the Steamroller so their fix is to tell you to use a 3/32" chain to make up for the chainline being off a few mm. Not really a fix technically but its not a big deal either, I always ran mine on the outside and never had a problem even riding brakeless.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. (for the comment and info). Running it on the inside seems fine, as there are no marks on the CS.

Here is the final complete version (stickers will be gone).

Will prob get better pics this Saturday, unless it rains like crazy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.