Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am switching a Centaur CT crank and was going to use a Token BB. The Token says it is 111mmX68mm ISO square taper. Unfortunately, Token seems to have a different idea about what an ISO taper is as mine will not allow the crank arm to go down as far as it would have on a Campy BB. The result is a chain line of 46-47mm instead of the 43.5mm called for.

What are the consequences of trying to make this work? I adjusted the FD a bit and things seem to work, but most things I read seem to feel chain line is rather important. I certainly don't want to be wearing things out.

So, give me your best advice. Thanks

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

Measure from the side of the seat tube to the tip of a tooth on the big ring, then add 1/2 the ST diameter. You'll need a precision scale, not a tape measure. You're looking for 47-48mm to the tip of a big ring tooth.

If the chainline is really a few millimeters to the right, it won't hurt anything, but your crank's tread width will also be wider and you should definitely not use the big ring and largest cog combination.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input; I used a micrometer and compared to the current BB, a new Centaur BB and the Token. I am definitely 3.5mm to the right. I have since communicated with Token and provided them with measurements of the tapered part of the spindle and they feel I got a JIS taper rather than the ISO indicated on the box. Problem over as the seller agreed to refund.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.