Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.....I have gotten a few deals, but has anyone actually scored a medium Giro helmet off this site :) What gives, needed a red Giro Pnemu Helmet and they put up one!. Don't think they even had the thing. It always seems as they simply post the same add at night they post in the morning whether they have the item in stock or not. They instantly changed the item, jack pot, I try to buy it and and the site says it's out of stock

What is the best deal you have scored of this site?

What is the biggest piece of junk you have noticed them try to sell day after day? :)

Me best deal (Oakley radars), biggest piece of junk (Time bike shoes)

·
Texas Cyclist
58 Posts
The overnight RSS feeds appear to preview the offerings for the day. I've scored several good deals on jerseys, but have had multiple problems as well: (1) I was shipped a cheap jersey instead of a Giordana Forma -- this could have been a case of exchange fraud by another consumer or inventory fraud by an employee, as the bag was correctly labeled; (2) I ordered a pair of shoes that were out of stock -- my credit card was charged, then credited days later; (3) I was shipped bibs in the wrong size instead of shorts in the size I ordered. These three incidents represent half of my total orders: while I am happy when I get a great deal, with Backcountry's sites, I know to wait until my order arrives before enjoying the bargain.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
You have to know what you want and whether it's a good deal or not with shipping added in. I've gotten many things via backcountry or chainlove/bonktown, but I'm online all day and have the alerters in Firefox so I can jump when something comes up I want.

Last few things I've gotten (Keens for $32, North Face Denali fleece for $70 something, Castelli track jacket for $50 something). I get a lot of camping gear from Backcountry also.

·
Registered
226 Posts
What was wrong with the Time shoes?

I've ordered from BT/CL a few times and had a few problems that were promptly corrected -- like when you check out with a specific shipping fee and after you confirm, the shipping fee goes up. That happened twice to me, but apparently it was a glitch they had.

The most mysterious issue I had was when I tried to buy a set of cone wrenches. They had lots of stock, even when they pulled the ad, but my order was cancelled, citing "out of stock". Since my CC is CDN, I lost out on a few $$ because of the conversion rates when they did the charge and refund. Those wrenches never returned. They gave me a coupon but it was not good for the "deal" sites.

I do find their customer service is pretty good though.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I bought Forma Bibs from Chainlove about a year ago... Don't remember exactly how much they were,.. something like $90 or $109... Recently bought a Pinarello Marvel frame for $750...

But yeah, the constant women's jerseys and stuff get annoying

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
On sites like that you can't go crazy watching. If you hit it right, it's great- I've picked up some great winter gear, expensive bibs, etc, but sometimes you need to be careful-- if the discount is already pretty steep on backcountryoutlet, sometimes it's cheaper to order it there w/ free shipping.
While they're not perfect, they've also been very willing to correct any issues-- only once did I have a major issue where they sent the wrong item, resent the wrong item and then they were out of stock on what I originally ordered. They got more in at a higher price, but when I spoke to a supervisor they did a price adjustment and then overnited not 1, but 2 of the item (not a mistake) and then called a day later to follow up and make sure everything was taken care of.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Several orders

Swobo SS Wool jersey for $43.00
Conti 4000 in Blue & yellow for $16.00 each

Better luck on Bonk Town than Chainlove, in fact I've dropped Chain love.

My biggest complaint is that if its an inexpensive item, I am paying more than needed in freight fees. I may get lucky and find it on Back Country
and with FREE Shipping over $50.00 it can work out to a decent deal.

I passed on a number of messenger bags, great prices, but I need to spend my dollars on what I need not what I want.

·
Registered
505 Posts
i've bought tons of stuff and have nothing but good things to say...

latest was a zipp 300 crankset ($170!). it arrived with a badly chipped spider arm. one email and BT cross shipped me another crankset via 2nd day air, *and* included a prepaid return shipping label for the defective one. can't beat that.

also, did you notice the timer on the quantity remaining section of the page? when that hits zero, the item is gone (if only temporarily)...whether or not you have completed your transaction. the first time i tried to buy the crank, i was entering my CC # when it timed out and the purchase did not go through. i called 'em right away and they were merciless. luckily, it came back around.

final hints: http://bonk.gearattack.com provides a searchable history for all of the backcountry sites. you can see how often and how much for any previously listed item. also, if you look at http://www.backcountryoutlet.com, you can often see actual remaining quantities for an item, which tells you something about future BT/CL listings. the quantities listed on the blowout sites are rarely all there is...

·
Bluebiker
88 Posts
I've purchased dozens of items on all their sites. Zero issues, fast shipping. I've returned a number items for various issues, size, color, etc. Always very quick turnaround and refunds or exchanges. Best deal were the $17 Conti GP4000's.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
I've gotten some really good deals and had no problems with them. Most recent was the Hincapie Wind-something bibtights - awesome in cool weather. Well worth the $80 (according to them, regularly $180). 'Spose I should post a review there.

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
They're local here, so returns are easy. I just cruise over there and drop the stuff off.
Customer service is top notch.

I really have bought way too much stuff there. I took full advantage of the Reynolds wheel sales they had going on. Got those FSA plasma bars, Zipp cranks, various other stuff.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Oakley radars and Easton EC90 SLX carbon tubulars.

:thumbsup:

·
What it is
705 Posts
Sometimes updating item is problem

Generally, I have had very good experiences with SAC/BT/CL. Your order will not be honored if the item changes before you have completed the order.

One time I placed an order on SAC and got the you-missed-it error message. The frustrating thing was that the item was still current according to my browser. I reloaded the site 2 or 3 times and did other things to flush/update my cache in an attempt to see what was current. Finally, I tried ordering the item again and got a second you-missed-it error message. This time the item had been changed when I returned to SAC.

I still get issues with erratic updating of item changes. I am using Firefox on Windoze XP.

·
Registered
487 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
There can be some good deals

They have some good deals if you watch and are quick to act on them. I used to buy a lot more from them, as I am local and could pick up more orders at the warehouse, NO SHIPPING!!. But they have since discontinued that practice. I order a lot less now as the deals aren't as great when you factor in the shipping I used to be able to avoid.

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
222 Posts
spepic Me best deal (Oakley radars) said:
got me a pair of those radars too, $75 bucks!!!!

got a decent oakley jersey for $20

everything else never seem to be what i'm looking for, a comes only in small......

·
Registered
10 Posts
I snatched up some Crank Bros Quattros for $65 total with 3-day shipping. I was looking for those pedals on other sites when my little feed alerted me!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts