Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize I am treading on religious war territory! Sorry!

I bought the bike used, so I am not sure what chain lube was used in the past. I used Tri-flow Superior Lubricant once (does not seem to be very popular on this board) but may wish to experiment with other lubes in the future (Finish Line Teflon, White Lightning Epic Ride, Finish Line 1-Step). Are the different lubes compatible with each other? Should I use Finish Line 1-Step in between? I do not wish to degrease the chain each time, or for that matter ever, unless I absolutely have to. BTW it is a road bike, and it is now seeing about 70 miles a week.

·
Registered
21,724 Posts
I realize I am treading on religious war territory! Sorry!

I bought the bike used, so I am not sure what chain lube was used in the past. I used Tri-flow Superior Lubricant once (does not seem to be very popular on this board) but may wish to experiment with other lubes in the future (Finish Line Teflon, White Lightning Epic Ride, Finish Line 1-Step). Are the different lubes compatible with each other? Should I use Finish Line 1-Step in between? I do not wish to degrease the chain each time, or for that matter ever, unless I absolutely have to. BTW it is a road bike, and it is now seeing about 70 miles a week.
Compatibility is not an issue. Even if the two lubes were completely immiscible, the one used most recently would eventually displace the other. That said, this is the advantage of solvent-based lubes like ProLink and home brew (1 part oil in 3-4 parts odorless mineral spirits). The solvent will take out anything that is already on the chain and you never need to clean or degrease the chain.

You are seriously over-thinking this.

·
Registered
313 Posts
You are seriously over-thinking this.
^ that. Your chain is compatible with cooking oil :) Anyhow, if you don't mind oily sprockets and chains but want something low maintenance and all weather, go with 'wet' lubes.

If you want something a bit cleaner but only for dry weather and has to be reapplied in shorter intervals, go with a dry or wax lube.

Good luck!

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,660 Posts
tri flow is fine. pretty much every lube is good...the only thing i won't ever use is white lightning...worst product ever. as i've said before, i'd use olive oil or spit before i'd put WL on my chain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.