Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what people recommended for the best chain lube and care. I have used white lightning, which I use on my mountain bike, but it seems to be a magnet for dirt and grime. Is there something better for the road bike chain in terms of both cleaning and maintenance lube?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Search past posts, everyone has a different opinion. I'm using up what I have left and then I'm using straight synthetic motor oil. Everything attacts dirt. Currently I'm using Pedro's SyncLube for the summer, winter ProLink, Dumonde Tech

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
will2007 said:
I was wondering what people recommended for the best chain lube and care. I have used white lightning, which I use on my mountain bike, but it seems to be a magnet for dirt and grime. Is there something better for the road bike chain in terms of both cleaning and maintenance lube?
Prolink. Apply a lot to start with and let soak in overnight. Wipe chain well before riding. Wipe with a rag after each ride. Re-apply when you get drivetrain noise...about every 200 miles or so depending on conditions.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Simple guidance

will2007 said:
Assuming we're talking road riding, use the following technique for successful ProLink or homebrew lube (1 part motor oil to 3-4 parts odorless mineral spirits) application and use:

1 - wipe the chain, cogs, pulleys, and chainrings clean with a rag.
2 - drip on lube while pedaling (forward is better) so that the chain just starts to drip lube. Aim the lube between the side plates and between the bushings and the side plates.
3 - run through all the gears several times, front and back.
4 - wipe the chain, cogs, pulleys, and chainrings clean with a rag.
5 - repeat steps 2-4 if the chain was really dirty

If you do this every 300 miles or so (or when you get caught in the rain), you will not get any significant gunky buildup, and you won't have to clean the chain or the cassette. This leaves lube on the inside parts, and wipes it off the outside parts, minimizing dirt pickup.

No lube is "perfect." A brite shiny chain that is clean to the touch but is well lubed and gives long mileage is still not possible. IMO, ProLink is the best compromise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.