Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My chain makes some noticable noise despite not rubbing on anything. Best I can tell, it makes the most noise as it enters the rear derailler idler pulley (a click each time the pulley engages a roller) and when it enters the large chainwheel (same idea). Possibly also when it goes from jockey wheel to cog, but that's hard to tell. Is this a sign of a need to lube the chain, or is it just normal, or is something perhaps out of alignment? It's a Shimano 9-speed chain on a Shimano 12-25 cassette, Ultegra rear derailleur and FSA chainrings.

I don't know when the sound started.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Not knowing what sort of noise exactly, or how loud, it's hard to evaluate. Derailleur systems make some noise; that's unavoidable. If your chain is clean and lubed, and everything works right, I suspect it's "normal" but it's hard to say. Have you ever stood by the side of the road as a pack of 100 riders went by, fast? There's a very distinctive hum, and most of it comes from the source you've described.

If you want quiet, ride a fixed gear :)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Make sure the chain is threaded correctly. I'm not trying to be condescending. I'm pretty darned experienced and I've done it a time or two.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.