Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone agree which is the better material to use when locking your bike when you have limited storage and want to keep the weight down?

Should I be worried about securing both tires? I have a road bike, live in a small city(50,000) and 99% of bike riders here have department store MTBs.

I use my U lock at home, but want something light, strong, small and easy for local riding and 5 minute lockups.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
want something light, strong, small and easy for local riding and 5 minute lockups.

That sounds suspiciously like the old "light, strong, cheap--pick any two" adage. If you want actual security, there's gonna be a weight penalty. I have what I call my "7-11 lock", which is the flimsiest cable lock Kryptonite makes, but use it only for a quick in-out visit to the store, preferably with the bike in sight--a serious thief would hardly be slowed down, but opportunists will be deterred. I hope. If I'm going to be away from the bike for more than a few minutes, the U-lock and a heavy cable lock are part of the ensemble. If I don't want to tote the locks, I don't stop.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Get a Mini U-Lock. Run it through the rear rim inside the rear triangle (that will lock up the rear wheel AND the frame) and attach it to something metal. Take the front wheel off the bike and carry it with you.

Cable lock=new owner.

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you just lock the rim and no frame is locked then there is a good chance of getting a bent rim. (Something pushes bike and the rim is the only part of the bike that has all the stress going through it)

The only good chain locks I've seen are pretty heavy. I got a simple cable lock from a dept store and replaced the lock with my own masterlock combination lock (already owned it) That way when I really need to secure my bike and carry my U lock I have two different types of securing equipment (U bar and cable) along with two different lock types (key and combo) making whoever steals my bike have to carry more stuff with them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.