Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a one year old cannondale bike so far I have gone though 3 chains. The orginal I got about 5-6 months out of, I don't know the brand. I am not sure what happen, I think one of the pins broke. The 2nd chain, I got about 4-5 months of riding out of it. The last one less then a month. The last 2 were srams. The last 2 it looks like the links opened up.
Can anyone tell my why these are failing so fast? I ride around 5-6k miles a year.
Are sram chians junk?
Should I just buy the cheapest one the bike shop has?

Thanks,
Zim

·
Registered
188 Posts
5-6k a yr is a lot but not that much. And I dont think it's the mileage that is causing your chain problems. Is it possible that it's you? I had a client who wore out freewheel after freewheel till I told him it was likely his riding/pedaling style. When they started riding more smoothly their problems stopped. Are you sure maybe you are pushing too hard of a gear from a stop or just being too rough on the drivetrain? I have never had a chain fail in all my yrs of riding road and mtn bikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never ride this bike in the rain and I do keep the chain cleaned and oiled. I don't know the model number of the sram chains, both cost around $30. And this is a 9 speed sram cog set.

·
Registered
934 Posts
There might be something else wrong which is damaging the chain. If the links are actually coming open, something has to be twisting them or forcing them open -- and it takes a LOT of force. Maybe a damaged cog or chainwheel? Any other symptoms?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Who is putting the chains on your bike? That could be the problem.

·
Registered
188 Posts
ha ha ha how can you install a chain incorrectly. it's not like there is a left and right side. the only thing the shop maybe didn't do was losten up the link they used to connect the chain ends but all that would do would cause a jump in the chain as it moved around your drivetrain. I'm thinking it's your pedaling style.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
"Is there a wrong way to put a chain on?"

It is critical that the pin is pressed in so that there is an equal amount of pin protruding on both sides of the chain. After I snap off the extra part of the pin on my Shimano chain, I have to go back and check if I centered it perfectly.
If your Sram chain was put together with a conn link, you might have a different problem.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
You can

superflychief said:
ha ha ha how can you install a chain incorrectly. it's not like there is a left and right side. the only thing the shop maybe didn't do was losten up the link they used to connect the chain ends but all that would do would cause a jump in the chain as it moved around your drivetrain. I'm thinking it's your pedaling style.
You can put on the connecting link the wrong way. You can fracture a side plate and not know it. A chain can feel fine and break a week or a month later. Did you see the what happened to David Millar's chain on a flat stage of the Giro?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The last chain that broke had a quick disconnect link, I think thats what you call them, that link did not open up. The only other thing that is going on is there is a very light click coming from the the non-chain ring crank. This click goes away if I don't put any pressure on it while riding. I think this is coming from the peddel. I know I get the click when in the biggest chain ring, not sure about the middle chain ring. I'll check it on tonights ride.
zim

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
What kind of chains are you using?

I have a Campy bike, I use either Campy or Wipperman chains. I have only broken one chain in about 35 years of riding and it was a Wipperman stainless steel. Are you chains breaking at a link? Do you add links to your chain? What kind of chains are you using? I just bought a Performance Forte (KMC) chain for my second bike and it has a very easy connecting link. That Wipperman Connex Link always give me problems, I have never mastered it.

Shimano chains use a replacement pin. You have to install it correctly (as the instructions indicate) or it can break. The instructions that come with the chain provide implicit instructions about chain install and warn that improper install can cause failure.

I'm not trying to be critical, I've suffered through doing my own wrenching and have learned that there are right and wrong ways of doing stuff. I used to have my bike shop install my chains and years ago I asked them to show me. Maybe you could have a wrench at your LBS help you. Breaking chains can be dangerous.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.