Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I am pedlfoot
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a Wipperman Stainless steel chain.I would appreciate any experience and opinions on the chain.Thanks.

·
"It's all about style."
122 Posts
So far so good...

I recently installed Record components onto my Vortex, and in doing so my mechanic suggested in throwing away the standard Campy chain and using the Wipperman chain.
With it being stainless steel, he told me I could expect a longer chain life with proper care.( for $50, i should hope so). I have been told by others that it is a little noiser than the Campy chain, but I don't really notice that much noise. Plus with the Connex chain link, removing the chain is a breeze, and the chain shouldn't rust.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
I have no experience with the Wipperman chain, but I do use the Connex link on Campy chains, and I like that combination alot. I get good wear out of my C10 chains, and the connex link makes it easy to remove and clean the chain. You can sometimes get Campy C10 chains for $30-$35. I wouldn't spend MORE than Campy prices.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Buy it

I have had one for the last 5,000+ miles. It is showing wear but not at the limit to replace yet. I have had very good luck with mine. I really like the connex link to remove the chain for cleaning.

Struggle

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I'm on my second Wipperman..

I've gone through two Campy chains, a Wipperman stainless, a Mavic Nickel (avoid them) and I'm on my second Wipperman Stainless. I think the Campy chains run just a tad bit smoother and shift just a little more precisley than the Wippermans. The Mavic chain only lasted 700 miles. The Wipperman is easy to install, you can pull it off anytime for cleaning, the Connex link is reuseable so you can carry a spare on your rides. My first Wipperman lasted 4200 miles. The Wipperman costs more than the Campy, but it comes with a link and it's lasts longer, so you have to compute that in with the price.

However-(there is always a however) I tried a Wipperman on my Shimano D.A. bike and it did not work for beans, I pulled it off and replaced it with a D.A. chain, which works great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts