Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I am in need of replacement chain recommendations for a Campagnolo 2008 Chorus Ultra-Drive 10 Speed Cassette 12-25 with Centaur RD to Veloce FD.

I'm a Campy rookie on a learning curve and have read a number of older posts (2006 year+/-) of people recommending SRAM or Ultegra 9 Speed chains. Curious if this is still the consensus? Or, have the Campy chains improved in recent years to the point I should just stick with them? My primary concerns are smooth shifting with a reasonable price tag (ie I don't feel obligated to spend the $$$ if not warranted)

Thanks
Kenreau

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
KMC, KMC, KMC....period.

·
Registered
589 Posts
i've used KMC and SRAM. They both work fine. If you use Campy or shimano, get a SRAM connecting link. It's cheaper and more reliable than those special piins.

em

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
eddie m said:
i've used KMC and SRAM. They both work fine. If you use Campy or shimano, get a SRAM connecting link. It's cheaper and more reliable than those special piins.

em
Thanks guys!

What am I missing? - I don't see any information regarding KMC chains. Nothing in the Product Reviews or Manufacturers index. Also, for my 10 speed cassette set up, any particular model, width, etc. to look for?

Thanks again
Kenreau

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
For the quietest drivetrain, stick with campy. With the powerlink, it still isn't as quiet as with just campy. How many of us really take the chain off to need the powerlink? Just saying...I would get a chorus chain.

·
Registered
589 Posts
spookyload said:
For the quietest drivetrain, stick with campy. With the powerlink, it still isn't as quiet as with just campy. How many of us really take the chain off to need the powerlink? Just saying...I would get a chorus chain.
I've found that KMC and SRAM chains are just as quiet as the Centaur chain that came with the bike. FWIW when I bought that bike I had the shop switch out the crank for a compact, so they shortened the chain and rejoined it with a SRAM link. It's not about taking the chain off, it's getting the chain on in the first place. You can't join a Campy chain reliably without the Campy tool that peens the pin. The tool costs as much as a lifetime supply of SRAM chains.
My riding buddy who is a USCF mechanic uses SRAM chains, which might be the only non-Campy part I've ever seen on any of his bikes in the 25 years I've known him.

em

·
Registered
402 Posts
Why not replace both cassette and chain at same time?

How old is your cog set? You don't want a miss match, or your new chain will slip on the old cassette. I'd go with the Campy chain and skip the special pin thingy and use a chain tool. And of course you'll need a ten speed chain.

Also Campy stuff can be repaired. Lot's of other brands go in the waste basket if something breaks.:mad2:

Get to know a pro shop that knows Campy. Guys that love Campy love to talk about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
eddie m said:
I've found that KMC and SRAM chains are just as quiet as the Centaur chain that came with the bike. FWIW when I bought that bike I had the shop switch out the crank for a compact, so they shortened the chain and rejoined it with a SRAM link. It's not about taking the chain off, it's getting the chain on in the first place. You can't join a Campy chain reliably without the Campy tool that peens the pin. The tool costs as much as a lifetime supply of SRAM chains.
My riding buddy who is a USCF mechanic uses SRAM chains, which might be the only non-Campy part I've ever seen on any of his bikes in the 25 years I've known him.

em
Excellent info, thanks! Would you be able to identify which SRAM model he uses? I did a quick search and see the SRAM PC-1030, PC-1070 and PC-1090. The detail info mentions the chains are compatible with both SRAM and Shimano 10-speed drivetrains (no mention of Campy), but from what I've been reading now, it appears the all the 10-speed chains are interchangeable.

Thanks again
Kenreau

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
Facts...

Even the cheapest Veloce 10 chain will last longer than the other brands mentioned. Campy chains always have lasted longer and are not in need of improvement. About the only downside is no master link. You can buy KMC links separately, that are made for the Campy chain and work adequately.

If a master link is not used, then the special Campy joining pin is a must. It can be installed with an ordinary chain tool, as long as there is no tension on the chain when it's installed.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
not quite right....

The special pin can be installed with an ordinary chain tool. There just has to be no tension on the chain when it's installed.

Tossing a cassette without first installing a new chain and checking for chain skip may be wasting perfectly good cassette life. Never toss a cassette without first testing it with a new chain.

Better yet, use 3-4 chains in a rotation. If done properly, you will never get new-chain skip and the cassette will last as long as all of the chains in the rotation. You can also use each chain longer by not tossing it to protect the cassette from wear.

·
Registered
589 Posts
C-40 said:
E
If a master link is not used, then the special Campy joining pin is a must. It can be installed with an ordinary chain tool, as long as there is no tension on the chain when it's installed.
The latest Campy chain tool peens the end of the pin. You can't do that with an ordinary tool.
Joining a 10s chain is too hard for most people. Even some of the local shops around here use KMC or SRAM links when they install 10s Campy chains.

em

·
Registered
589 Posts
kenreau said:
Excellent info, thanks! Would you be able to identify which SRAM model he uses? I did a quick search and see the SRAM PC-1030, PC-1070 and PC-1090. The detail info mentions the chains are compatible with both SRAM and Shimano 10-speed drivetrains (no mention of Campy), but from what I've been reading now, it appears the all the 10-speed chains are interchangeable.

Thanks again
Kenreau
I think I'm using the PC1070, or whatever costs about $30 on the internets. I usually get the cheapest chain I can find with a silver finish. I don't need all the expensive drilled out light stuff, and I think the silver (nickel) finish resists rust a little better, but they all probably work about the same.

em

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
eddie m said:
The latest Campy chain tool peens the end of the pin. You can't do that with an ordinary tool.
Joining a 10s chain is too hard for most people. Even some of the local shops around here use KMC or SRAM links when they install 10s Campy chains.

em
The Campy chain tool for 11 SPEED peens the pin. For the 10 spd chains there is no peening required. The pin can be installed with a regular non-Campy chain tool, just follow the directions but don't put the chain on the front chainrings, leave it draped over the BB so there is no tension on it.

Alternatively, one can join a Campy UN chain with a SRAM 10 spd Powerlock. Tool-free and simple.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
lbs

eddie m said:
T...Joining a 10s chain is too hard for most people. Even some of the local shops around here...
Sounds more like Local Bull Sh!t. Don't think I would want someone wrenching on my bike that is not smart enough to properly use a chain tool and has to resort to master links for installation.

For the OP - get yourself a Campy chain. They work well and last a long time. No need for Record, go with Veloce or Centaur and save some money.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I've got 10-speed Campy on 4 bikes and have tried a bunch of combinations. Best I've found has been an original Campy chain with the Wipperman Connex link. The Campy chains are more quiet AND durable than the others (imho), and the Wipperman link seems to work better with Campy 10-speed than the alternatives.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
unfortunately...

The Wipperman link is not a very good fit with a Campy chain. The side clearance is a lot greater than it should be. A SRAM 10 powerlock will fit better.

I agree that the connex link is the best, but Wipperman doesn't intend for it to be used with other chain brands. It fits Shimano or KMC chains better, since they are slightly wider across the inner plates.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I've been using Veloce cassettes with KMC chains for the past few years and they work fine. If you want to have a removable link the Wipperman Campy Connex works fine with the KMC's. For info I use the KMC DX10SC, which goes for around $30.

·
Registered
557 Posts
C-40 said:
The Wipperman link is not a very good fit with a Campy chain. The side clearance is a lot greater than it should be. A SRAM 10 powerlock will fit better.

I agree that the connex link is the best, but Wipperman doesn't intend for it to be used with other chain brands. It fits Shimano or KMC chains better, since they are slightly wider across the inner plates.
Odd. Like I said, I've got them on 4 10-speed (Campy) bikes and have found them to be the best option out there...rode one today, another yesterday, and a different one the day before...never had any issues across ~ 6,000 miles on the 4 drivetrains. (ymmv)

·
Registered
402 Posts
C-40 said:
Tossing a cassette without first installing a new chain and checking for chain skip may be wasting perfectly good cassette life. Never toss a cassette without first testing it with a new chain.
Good advice...right...by all means check the new chain/old cogs combo first.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
well...

JChasse said:
Odd. Like I said, I've got them on 4 10-speed (Campy) bikes and have found them to be the best option out there...rode one today, another yesterday, and a different one the day before...never had any issues across ~ 6,000 miles on the 4 drivetrains. (ymmv)
Get a set of feeler gages. You'll find the clearance between the inner and outer plates to be far more than the rest of the chain. I do something similar with 11 speed, but I've already seen evidence of the inner plates wearing a substantial groove into the master link, due to the sloppy fit.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts