Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Pluto
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting some chain rubbing in mylowest and higest gears. I asked about it at the bike shop and was told that is the way it is. Im new to road riding and not a mechanical minded person but I find it hard to believe modern bikes that are well maintained have chain rubbing which I must believe slows your speed and wears your parts faster. My bike is new, ultegra and FSA compact crank. Any feed back as to if this is truly the way it is or if you can point me in the right direction on how to resolve will be greatly appreaciated.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
You will get chain rub on nearly any bike if ride in the small ring in front, small cog in back or vice versa -- big ring in front, big cog in back. So avoid small-small and big-big. It's also bad for chain wear.

That said, if you are avoiding the big-big/ small-small gear combinations, it might be a simple matter of learning how to "trim" your front derailleur. Ultegra, in my experience, will rub when in the small ring up front and any cogs smaller than about 15-16. To avoid rub while in small ring up front and smaller cogs in back, trim your front derailleur by pushing the left brake lever -- not the smaller shifter lever -- in slightly toward the center of the bike. That will eliminate the rub, but never ride in your small ring and smallest cog unless you want to wear out your chain and chain ring prematurely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.