Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was intent on taking a long ride yesterday evening, even allowed my self to cheat and have some pizza when i got off work.. so of course 3 miles in my chain breaks going over an intercoastal bridge, which is a bit aquard when standing up spinning at 20mph. :mad: no big deal.. its dark so my girlfriend comes and gets me, i go home, fix the link.. then out the door i go.. not 1/4mi down the road it breaks again, gets caught under the back tire and i do a power slide down the street throwing sparks and nearly kill my self trying to unclip and hold the bike up right.
So i come back home, inspect the chain and it appears to be a different link! WTF! to links give in one night? i didnt even repair it. i think ill just pick up a new chain on the way home... hope my LBS is in stock... sorry for the rant.

Question, can i use any 8 speed chain on my sora set?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
mfarra1 said:
Question, can i use any 8 speed chain on my sora set?
Depends on which version of Sora you have. Sora 3300-series is 8-speed; Sora 3400-series is 9-speed. 8-speed chains are a good thing—very strong and forgiving of less-than-perfect wrenching. Never broke one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Erion929 said:
Wow...I read the thread thinking Schleck had logged on RBR.com! :blush2:

Mechanicals suck.

this made my night!

chain fixed.. but after 25 miles today... flat tire.. yay!... damn bike

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
mfarra1 said:
this made my night!

chain fixed.. but after 25 miles today... flat tire.. yay!... damn bike
Replace chains and tires BEFORE they are worn.

The problem with repairing a chain that breaks is that the break probably occurred because it was worn. So, all you are doing is removing a link from a worn chain, where all the other chains are worn.

Me, I'm cheap so I ride tires (i.e., tubulars) until the tread is gone or slime will not fix the hole. I have yet to break a chain (knock on wood), but I rotate amongst several of them such that by the time I need to replace the chains I will probably be upgrading to the next x-speed that has come out. Right now, that would be 11 speed.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I never carry a chain tool or link with me. In 48 years of riding & racing I've had one chain break on me, and that was in 1978. Two years ago I was riding a century with a friend and his chain broke. Those are honestly the only 2 chains I've ever seen break.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
I never carry a chain tool or link with me. In 48 years of riding & racing I've had one chain break on me, and that was in 1978. Two years ago I was riding a century with a friend and his chain broke. Those are honestly the only 2 chains I've ever seen break.
Yep, in 25 years of riding and about 10 years of racing, I only saw a chain break once. That was in 2008 during a training race.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
In 40 years of riding and racing, I have only had I chain break, that was actually my fault. Chains seldom BREAK, and I don't think chains break because they are worn.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, my bike is 9 years old and most likely had the stock chain. that combined with me being a big dude and powering over a steep bridge was probably its death. now i have a fancy SRAM "power chain".

Seriously though, its geting old to have something go wrong weekly. arg.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yeah, 9 years is way too much time with the same chain. Go to your shop and get yourself a new one and some tires. My Maxxis Re-Fuse...over 1200 miles with no flats. I can talk about flats again!
Hope your rides get better.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've had one chain break and it was going up a small hill, so I'm sure putting the extra strain on a chain is usually what gets you to the breaking point of a susceptible chain.

As to the frequency of chains breaking, I was surprised to see two chains on the West Side highway last weekend during the NYC triathlon. Considering there were 3000 athletes that weekend, if you do the chain math, I guess these must have been old chains! ;)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
mfarra1 said:
well, my bike is 9 years old and most likely had the stock chain. that combined with me being a big dude and powering over a steep bridge was probably its death. now i have a fancy SRAM "power chain".

Good reason to shop fpr a new bike :D

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
mfarra1 said:

Is something going wrong in your life weekly, or is it that something is going wrong with the bike weekly? If it is something going wrong with the bike weekly, then you really aren't doing any maintenance on the bike. Yeah, last week I had to change a jacked up front derailleur out on mine, but figured out what the problem was which happened to be too long of a mounting bolt that came with my chain watcher. The bolt went too far through the hole and was actually pushing on the small chainring adjusting screw on the derailleur. It was the same thing on another bike, but the other bike hadn't been giving me any trouble. I decided to fix it anyway. Then, I had to deal with a slow leak in a tire. All in all though, my bikes have treated me pretty well and have never really left me on the side of the road, but I also treat them pretty well and do a complete overhaul during the winter, lube the chain up at least once a week, and check the tires for cuts every week or two. Bikes are just like cars. The parts that wear out need to be changed and the bike needs to be maintained.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.