Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Campy 10 speed Record groupo with about 2500-3000K on it. I have been keeping an eye on the chain stretch with a Park chain checker and a precision ruler. I just got into the cusp of the red zone on the Park tool and the ruler shows 1/32 stretch on the chain. So I know change out the chain. I am now getting a grinding feeling and some chain jump/skip under hard pedaling. I don't know what to think other than that the cassett is shot due to using a worn chain. So why does the old rule not work for a Campy 10 speed chain ware? When I was shopping for a new cassette , I read that 1600 miles is tops for a 10 speed chain! Is this true? I have been road riding since 7 speed and never ran into this problem. Whats the deal??

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Peanya said:
Check the chain length? 10sp chains can last longer than 1600 miles.

Yes I did. It's 12 1/32

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check to see if the link was compressed when joining. I did this on an Ultegra chain and had a tight link, would skip like crazy. Anyway, loosened the link and all is good. Maybe this will help. (Just stand over the bike and look down while pedalling backwards and look for any variations in the chain)

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Peanya said:
I mean the number of links in the chain. Is it correct?

Yes, exact.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
not enough info....

A Campy chains don't elongate at the rapid rate that most other brands do, if properly lubed. That Park chain checker is worthless. What I do is use calipers with internal tips to measure the change in roller spacing. When new, the spacing is about .200 inch. I change, but don't toss a chain when that spacing increases to .220 inch. I use 3 chains in a rotation and don't trash them until the roller spacing increases to about .240 inch. Keeping the wear on each of the chain similar avoids new-chain skip.

If you have worn cogs, then only those cogs will skip. If the skip is random or restricted to only the smallest cogs, you probably have a tight link.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
C-40 said:
A Campy chains don't elongate at the rapid rate that most other brands do, if properly lubed. That Park chain checker is worthless. What I do is use calipers with internal tips to measure the change in roller spacing. When new, the spacing is about .200 inch. I change, but don't toss a chain when that spacing increases to .220 inch. I use 3 chains in a rotation and don't trash them until the roller spacing increases to about .240 inch. Keeping the wear on each of the chain similar avoids new-chain skip.

If you have worn cogs, then only those cogs will skip. If the skip is random or restricted to only the smallest cogs, you probably have a tight link.
C-40, good info to live by. I'll start over with a now cassette and chain. I measured the old chain and it falls in at .225" , measured at different points in the chain. I should have mentioned that I picked up this groupo from a friend when he changed over to Record 11. I was under the impression that it had low miles on it. I called him today and was told that he had 4K on the groupo but had gone through a few chains and cassettes. He told me that the would change the chain with the cassette. I know this is not needed. So now I'll have to start over new because I really don't know the true milage on the chain/cassette. I'll through out the Park tool. I guess I cant go by chain stretch either, since the chain is only stretched to 12 1/32". Would it be a bad idea to through the old chain on and ride it till I see a .240 width between links? It worked fine with the old chain. I just don't want to rune my chain rings.
BTW, what do you prefer for chain lube. I have been using Pedro's extra dry for years.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I have seen chain skip with a brand new chain. I found the reason to be that the shop installed a 9 speed chain on a 10 speed setup.

No way should a cassette be trashed even after 5000 miles if you never changed the chain.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
If your friend actually tossed those cassettes, he was probably throwing away perfectly good parts.

It would be rare, but not impossible to have new-chain skip if only one chain was used to a roller spacing of .225. Perhaps if the most-worn cogs are smaller ones in the 14-17T range.

I wore out a 19T cog by leaving one chain in use until the roller spacing was about .240 inch, but the elongation was only about 1/64 inch over 12 inches. That took me 6,000 miles to do.

I should also mention that Ti cogs will wear out at least twice as fast as steel cogs. I wore out both a 19 and 21T cog in only 4,000 miles. I never bought another Record cassette after that. I buy steel only.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I am getting the skipping on the larger cogs, a few down from the 25 when climbing. Those are Ti...right? I also feel the links going through cassette more when in the small ring, like a crunchy feel. Do you think I should put on the old chain and run it untill I see a .240 width between links? BTW, I did back pedal while watching the chain go through the rear derailleur and it showed no stiff links.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put the old chain back on and it runs great. I'll just change out the old chain when the new cassette comes in this week. I think the nickel plated Veloce cassette will last longer than the Record with the Ti cogs.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
A couple of things. Listen to C-40 when it comes to chain/cassette wear.

Secondly, an 8 speed cassette "might" last 5000 miles with no chain change, but as soon as you put a new chain on there, it will skip like crazy.

Finally, 10 speed stuff just doesn't last like the old 7/8. And anything with Ti cogs is going to wear out even faster. For the minimal "weight loss" at the center of the rotating mass, Ti cogs for us non-sponsored riders just aren't (in my opinion) worth it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is the rivet pusshed all the way in ?.....Don't ask how I found out.....:eek:

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dr4cats said:
Is the rivet pusshed all the way in ?.....Don't ask how I found out.....:eek:
No Rivet, just a master link. This is what was told to me from Campy U.S.A. The chains are pre stretched. On ten speed we have to change the chain every 1500 miles for mashers/big guys and every 2000 for lighter pedelers. The cassette wil last 20,000 miles. Stay away from the Record cassette for everyday use because the Ti cogs go to crap very fast.

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
Short advice

High Gear said:
On ten speed we have to change the chain every 1500 miles for mashers/big guys and every 2000 for lighter pedelers.
Really? My Campy chains last many times that long. Proper maintenance and the right lube is the key. No way am I going to replace chains 5-6 times per year, nor do I need to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts