Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
yes, yes, and details...

Yes, there are numerous things that could be going on. Your description is a bit shy on details, so here are some possible causes, based on my experience with such events...
• a seized or damaged or funky chain link
• not enough or inconsistent chain wrap
• cogs or chain did not break in and wear out together--one or the other has been replaced or worn out in advance of the other
• a slightly misadjusted rear derailleur--barrel adjuster on the derailleur can be used
• a slightly misaligned rear derailleur--something is bent

saccycling said:
About every 200 or 300 miles, I'll be riding along and it seems like the chain skips a tooth on the gears. Is there something I can check out ? Is this normal ?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking rear deraileur

I'm thinking a bent rear derailur. They bike did fall over twice, on the deraileur. I had a problem with the deraileur touching the spokes when in the large rear gear. I bent the deraileur out to keep it from hitting the spokes. How do I get the rear deraileur checked out ? LBS ? Or can I do it myself.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Usually...

derailleur adjustment is not a bending operation, but to correct problems of alignment you sometimes need to do so. It is not rocket science. Eyeball it. Use The Force. ;) If everything lines up to your eyes (check from rear) and you still have problems, go to a shop. You may have screwed up the mechanism--the parallelogram, the geometry, who-knows-what--and no amount of bending will solve it.

saccycling said:
I'm thinking a bent rear derailur. They bike did fall over twice, on the deraileur. I had a problem with the deraileur touching the spokes when in the large rear gear. I bent the deraileur out to keep it from hitting the spokes. How do I get the rear deraileur checked out ? LBS ? Or can I do it myself.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a similar problem...usually its the bracket that gets bent. Very carefully bend it back until the der. cogs are parallel to the cassette gears. Then turn the bike upside down so it sits securely on seat and handlebars. Turn pedal with left hand while you are watching what is happening on the rear gears. Chances are you can adjust this out by turning the barrel adjuster on the dereallure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.